Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurricane Plan - Florida Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004 | 01:27 PM
dave120
Drifting

Wow Travis I thought you guys would get hit harder than that. I think it got pretty nasty up in Titusville though...I need to get back there soon and see how the house and p-cars did. My friend that lives there still has power though, that's a good sign
Old 09-05-2004 | 01:57 PM
jd944
Instructor

Just checking in from beautiful Ozona. It's starting to get a little nasty out there. My tin roof is making some weird noises. The toys are all in the garage and safe as long as we don't set any storm surge as the storm passes. I hope everyone is safe, it looks like some folks are taking a pounding, some for the second time. Anyhow be safe and good luck to all.
Old 09-05-2004 | 06:19 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't feel bad Pete my wife is stuck in CT.

She was supposed to fly back on Sunday. Not gonna happen. All monday flights are booked. Looks like she can fly back on Tuesday.

The bad thing is, she called the airline on Saturday to change flights but they told her that TIA had not closed and they could not put her on another flight. This after I heard on the news that TIA would be closed until Monday. Fcking Airlines.
Old 09-05-2004 | 07:04 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Well 6:00 PM here and all is well. Sky is starting to lighten up a bit, still breezy but the rain has stopped. No damage, few palm fronds down but thats it. Got really lucky this time. Boat moored out in middle of canal did fine. Never lost power here at all. Going to venture out tomorrow and have a look arround. Later all,
Bill
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:18 AM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Avionics
Well 6:00 PM here and all is well. .... Later all,
Bill
Not so fortunate here. 25,000 houses in Alachua County including mine without electricity. 95% of houses without electricity in Marion County which is south of us. A tall pine tree fell on our roof. But, not a problem since nobody was hurt, and it can be fixed. Lots of trees littering the road in Alachua County. Clean up crews will get to work after the storm blows over, and the wind calms.
Old 09-06-2004 | 08:50 AM
dave120
Drifting

I'm still at the hotel in Orlando, but my dad went home early this morning (Having an OUC sticker on his car is a free pass to anywhere right now) and said not a shingle was out of place or one window cracked on the house. Just one tree branch fell in the driveway. We don't have power there though so we're probably gonna stay here another day. P-cars are all fine

We live in North Brevard. South Brevard got hammered really hard
Old 09-06-2004 | 09:25 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

We're waiting here- By the time Pete gets back to Dayton, Francis will be here- Lucky you!!

The leftover of Francis is scheduled for a Tuesday arrival in Cinci... Mostly a lot of rain is forecast.
Old 09-06-2004 | 10:05 AM
jc22
Pro

Only a few (12) hours to go and all is well here. We lost a huge oak tree in the back but it only fell on a fence luckily. Both front and back yards are full of debris. A couple of trees were blocking roads this morning when I took my wife to work. The good news.... we still have power! We have underground utilities here so I'm sure that helps. I did find one gas station open this morning but unfortunately it doesn't carry diesel, so I'm still on empty. I've had to drain the pool twice now and it's nearly full again. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of the 6 oak trees doesn't fall on the house.
Old 09-06-2004 | 06:15 PM
dave120
Drifting

Well we checked out of the hotel and headed back home this morning. No damage to our house, but there's lots of trees down and stuff in the areas. We lost a few branches is all...No power at the house, so we're staying at the grandparents right now since they do have power. Hopefully it won't get too long to get it restored at home, but considering how it could have been, I'll take the inconvenience of a power outtage over a blown off roof or something like a lot of the other houses are around here had happen. I might get some pictures of the damage the next time I go out, as this is one of the hardest hit counties, especially down south of here. If we get this 3rd one I'm gonna be real ticked off though, I don't want to evacuate again!

Hopefully all the other Rennlisters came out ok.
Old 09-06-2004 | 08:41 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by grants_968
...A tall pine tree fell on our roof. But, not a problem since nobody was hurt, and it can be fixed. ....
Here is the mess left by Hurricane Frances. Can't get a tree crew out since they are too busy, so might have to get my mighty little chain saw out to cut the beast up.

Old 09-07-2004 | 02:50 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well that was a total PITA. I'm home now. I was able to score a flight from Tampa to Detroit to Cleveland to Dayton. Frances was pretty much a non-event in Palm Harbor where I was. Just rain and some occassional wind gusts of maybe 50-60mph. We lost power on Sunday and played poker all day by candlelight.
It's good to be home.
Old 09-07-2004 | 05:16 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=grants_968]Here is the mess left by Hurricane Frances. Can't get a tree crew out since they are too busy, so might have to get my mighty little chain saw out to cut the beast up.

Man, I'm really sorry to see that, Grant! I'm glad everyone is okay, though!
Old 09-07-2004 | 02:16 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Got power back around 11 here. Nothing to bad but flooding in some parts of the bay area is really bad. I'm all ok and I'll be seeing hopefully most of you this weekend at the Porsche meet in St.Petersburg.
Old 09-07-2004 | 02:37 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

back from working the storm - at our place in miami beach - you won't believe it: we didn't even lose power. no blinking VCR. straaaaange. (but i like it!)
don't want to diminish the damage that did happen, but after covering charley, it looks relatively minor on the west coast.
Old 09-08-2004 | 12:23 AM
grants_968
Racer

[QUOTE=NeedPorscheSpeed]
Originally Posted by grants_968
Here is the mess left by Hurricane Frances. Can't get a tree crew out since they are too busy, so might have to get my mighty little chain saw out to cut the beast up.

Man, I'm really sorry to see that, Grant! I'm glad everyone is okay, though!
Thanks!!! We have had 10" of rain in the last 24 hours. Too much rain. For about 52 hours we have not had electricity. You really learn how important electricity is to our lives when you suddenly don't have it. It's not like camping out. You want to wash your cloths. Can't. You flip on a light - no power. You want to watch TV. Can't.

Because we have no power and no food, we decided to go out to dinner this evening, First we had to hunt for an open restaurant. When we came home, we had electricity. Fantastic.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Plan - Florida Rennlisters