Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thread on oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manning
Smart boy! No need that I know of for "better" filteration that the Canton filter supposedly provides. The only other benefit I see with their canister is that is would be pretty hard to blow up with a high pressure spike
Is that even possible, for a stock oil system to blow anything apart?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:16 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Manning
Do not use a Canton Racing spin on filter in the normal orientation on our cars. By that I mean do not buy one and simply spin it in place were a regular filter would go. The anti drainback flapper valve they use is just a big rubber disk and after a couple hundred miles it takes a set and doesn't work anymore. I used one for a year or two and used to have to replace the anti drainback flapper constantly. If I haven't been clear on this point their anti drainback valve SUCKS, it doesn't work! What's worse is they wanted nothing to do with me when I tried to inform them of what I was experiencing. Luis de Prat was interested in using one and let them know what I had experience and IIRC they told him this was impossible. They wouldn't even respond to my several e-mails to them.

Oh, and I still have the filter exactly as it came of the car with valve still in place, and if you shine a light up through it you can clearly see how deformed the flapper is after just a couple hundred miles. Just like every single other one I replaced.

If you going to remote your filter, just use stock OE style filters.
I think I found my source of complaints for the Cantons! If I was to do this now I would use the Canton filter block-off plate and a Summit Racing remote mount. That way I could use about any generic Pure One spin-on filter size(with check valve). It would require the make-up of custom hoses but that really isn't that difficult compared to cleaning up the mess from the usual oil change on these cars. Thanks for the reply Michael. Did you ever get that elusive manual header panel?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for a check-valve if the filter is mounted upside down (sealing area facing up).

Something you need to watch out for is the bending radius of the lines...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
No need for a check-valve if the filter is mounted upside down (sealing area facing up).

Something you need to watch out for is the bending radius of the lines...
This was hotly debated subject with the Miata folk. It came down to the height of the remote oil filter in respect to OEM mounting height and drainage. Given the few choices for remote filter mounting on a street 944 with cruise control I would assume both supply/return lines would drain leaving oil in the filter anyway. Cold starts should be the same as a stock filter w/check valve. My feelings are with a good synthethic oil, cold start characteristics are already increased negating that brief moment of low start-up OP. That's the plan at least. I've never considered a filter with the sealing surface facing up as "upside-down", anything else is the "wrong way".
Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tight
I think I found my source of complaints for the Cantons! If I was to do this now I would use the Canton filter block-off plate and a Summit Racing remote mount. That way I could use about any generic Pure One spin-on filter size(with check valve). It would require the make-up of custom hoses but that really isn't that difficult compared to cleaning up the mess from the usual oil change on these cars. Thanks for the reply Michael. Did you ever get that elusive manual header panel?

Naw, I'm still trying to track one down. Somebody in the area might have one, or at very least I can go and get a good look at one so I know what I am dealing with.

Regarding the Canton filter itself, other than the shyte valve it is very well constructed and seemed to filter very well. That said, since the replacement filter cartridges cost more than an OE style filter, why bother with one, just use OE.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much is the one at summit racing?
Old 08-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one what?

Quick Reply: Thread on oil filters