Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thread on oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:09 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thread on oil filters

Does anyone know the thread pitch and all that jazz for our oil filters? And the hole size.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:32 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because ...... ?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Remote oil filter projekt?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet he stripped it tightening it on too much...

Or are you trying to find a cheaper oil filter that is the same thread and such?

If all else fails, either call mahle and see if they will tell you, or get a thread measurer and do it yourself, shouldn't cost much.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's 3/4" 16 judging from this site. http://www.batinc.net/files/kits.pdf That's the way the doc makes it appear, anyway.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I've got it somewhere, haven't looked at that stuff in a long time...

Give me a minute
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

It's 20mm, with a 2 5/8" seal
I dont know the thread pitch though.

I do know that http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...te_filter.html #22-597 will work.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrial
It's 20mm, with a 2 5/8" seal
I dont know the thread pitch though.

I do know that http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...te_filter.html #22-597 will work.
Tifo gets the iCookie Ive HAD IT with the freaking mess and retardation involved with my oil filter. My car being my daily, and me being ****, I think last night was my 5th oil change since late feb.

Thanks adrial, I was hoping there would be something around that already worked. I remember from searching that you were making a remote filter setup, did that work out?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:18 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Has anyone had problems with the CR seals leaking after a few months? I was about to do a remote oil filter myself and remember seeing a few posts on search about the seals getting weak and leaking. I've done remotes on several Non-P cars but never with the Canton system.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Tight
Has anyone had problems with the CR seals leaking after a few months? I was about to do a remote oil filter myself and remember seeing a few posts on search about the seals getting weak and leaking. I've done remotes on several Non-P cars but never with the Canton system.
Well it looks like a plain old seal ring from a filter right? So I think the best thing would be every few filter changes, take the seal off the used filter and swap it on the adapter. Little to no mess if you hold the hoses up to drain them.

I bet most other cars did have the oil filter less then an inch from the damn exhaust manifold
Old 08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
who1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Mann filter site:
719/22 thread: M20x1.5 (mm I believe)
Height=123.0mm
width=76.0mm
gasket ID/OD: 62.0mm/71.0mm
Old 08-27-2004, 03:50 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I did get it working on my car, but got busy with the rebuild before I could make any more.

It is very doable.

I hope to do a kit which makes use of a standard spin on oil filter as well as the current one that uses the canton filter.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use a Canton Racing spin on filter in the normal orientation on our cars. By that I mean do not buy one and simply spin it in place were a regular filter would go. The anti drainback flapper valve they use is just a big rubber disk and after a couple hundred miles it takes a set and doesn't work anymore. I used one for a year or two and used to have to replace the anti drainback flapper constantly. If I haven't been clear on this point their anti drainback valve SUCKS, it doesn't work! What's worse is they wanted nothing to do with me when I tried to inform them of what I was experiencing. Luis de Prat was interested in using one and let them know what I had experience and IIRC they told him this was impossible. They wouldn't even respond to my several e-mails to them.

Oh, and I still have the filter exactly as it came of the car with valve still in place, and if you shine a light up through it you can clearly see how deformed the flapper is after just a couple hundred miles. Just like every single other one I replaced.

If you going to remote your filter, just use stock OE style filters.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:32 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manning
Do not use a Canton Racing spin on filter in the normal orientation on our cars. By that I mean do not buy one and simply spin it in place were a regular filter would go. The anti drainback flapper valve they use is just a big rubber disk and after a couple hundred miles it takes a set and doesn't work anymore. I used one for a year or two and used to have to replace the anti drainback flapper constantly. If I haven't been clear on this point their anti drainback valve SUCKS, it doesn't work! What's worse is they wanted nothing to do with me when I tried to inform them of what I was experiencing. Luis de Prat was interested in using one and let them know what I had experience and IIRC they told him this was impossible. They wouldn't even respond to my several e-mails to them.

Oh, and I still have the filter exactly as it came of the car with valve still in place, and if you shine a light up through it you can clearly see how deformed the flapper is after just a couple hundred miles. Just like every single other one I replaced.

If you going to remote your filter, just use stock OE style filters.
I was planning on just using those little screw on parts, and getting some SS braided hose and making up a nice little arrangement to use the stock filters. I dont think theres any real reason to improve the filtering is there? Asides from possible **** retentivness
Old 08-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart boy! No need that I know of for "better" filteration that the Canton filter supposedly provides. The only other benefit I see with their canister is that is would be pretty hard to blow up with a high pressure spike

Quick Reply: Thread on oil filters