Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 951 Owner, Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004 | 03:22 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Default New 951 Owner, Need Some Help

Hey, I sold my '88 944 S and got somewhat of a deal on a black 951 that needs some work. The main problems I could see having issues are:

Bracket that mounts the power steering pump is GONE, the pump is hanging there by the lines. The drive pulley for the power steering pulley also seems as it is wobbling, although the rest of the harmonic balancer is stable. Anyone got these parts?

The car has obviously been driven for awhile with an improperly set up balance shaft belt. The car vibrates like crazy. This has caused some obvious damage. The cluster has just stopped working completely.

Prior to the cluster dying the oil pressure gauge only registered at 1,100 RPM and at any other RPM would pin up at 5 bar. The gas gauge also didn't work and the ODO was not functioning (common issue though). Any ideas on why the cluster would suddenly die as such, and why the oil pressure gauge and gas gauge didnt work. If anyone has a gauge clster for sale im interested.

Someone did a real shoddy job putting a dash cover on. It's so bad I'd prefer a cracked dash to it. If anyone has an extra dash top laying around im in the market.

The climate control will not blow anything but the ambient outside temperature, the fan control works but the thermostat doesn't. I'm good with electronics, can this be repaired?

Car only boosts to 1.2 bar absolute. I wanted to try to clamp the line to the wastegate from the cycling valve like everyone apparently does, but it almost appears like I'd have to remove the intake manifold to accomplish this. There is a vacuum leak i can hear but I've owned turbo cars before and know that the turbo should be able to boost full past a very small leak.

Car needs brakes, and oh god, I just realized that the throw-out bearing is squealing slightly (wouldn't have purchased the car if I had heard it during the test drive). Clutch does feel like it has an issue, at first i thought it was just hard because it was a turbo, but napes. Pulling either the engine or torque tube and tranny is not the major problem, it is the cost of the clutch. Is there anywhere I can get a clutch for less the the absolutely ridiculous and astronomical 1200 dollars. I'm entering college, this may put the plans for driving the car off for quite awhile.
Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2004 | 03:24 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Step 1 is CLEAN that bitch up.
Old 08-26-2004 | 07:55 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Bump?
Old 08-26-2004 | 08:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All new vacuum lines: 100 bucks from lindsey. Possibly a bad BOV as well, about 40 bucks. 700-750 for a clutch tops...everything you will need if doing it yourself. Don't know who quoted you 1200 for parts on a turbo clutch, that is rediculous. Oil pressure sender probably shot, replace now while PS is hanging out of the way, though it isnt that hard with it in the way either: 40 bucks. Heat may be due to bad heater valve.
Old 08-26-2004 | 08:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

I bought a turbo clutch new on ebay for $265. Keep looking and I believe you can find one for around $500.
Old 08-26-2004 | 08:50 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

What do you mean that the power steering pump hangers are gone, they are part of the lower balance shaft assembly. Two ears that attach to the PS pump.

Check the ground connections behind the dash.

Pull the dash and clean up the connections on the cluster.

The drive pulley for the PS belt on the crank is mis-aligned. Take the crank bolt off and do it correctly, could also solve your oil pressure problem (if there is one). Tighten to 155 ft-lbs once you re-center the PS pulley on the crank.
The climate control might be ok, most likely it's the wiring, I'm helping a friend with the same issue. Swapped control units and it did nothing, now hunting wires. I hate previous owners!!!!

Dal.
Old 08-27-2004 | 04:56 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, ill have to take another look under the car at the PS assembly. I had all of that off on my S and for some reason it appeared different. Being a student I don't have a ton of time yet to mess with the car. Some people have been talking lately about the clutch being over 1 grand new. I just entered 951 land, im used to my 944S and my Saab.
Old 08-27-2004 | 09:29 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

It costs 1300 to get one installed, if you don't want to mess with the headeache of taking it out yourself.

Quick Reply: New 951 Owner, Need Some Help