Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally saw tom r's bros car.. opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally saw tom r's bros car.. opinion?

I was finally able to catch up with Tom R.'s brother and got to take a look at his car. He said he's willing to sell it to someone who will take care of it, but isnt in a rush to get rid of it. I saw it today, and I gotta say its a pretty nice one. Here's the details (Tom if I forget anything, good or bad, feel free to add em):

84 944 n/a Gold/Brown ~115k miles
Owned by his bro since low 30k miles .. almost all highway driving since
Clean car and engine, body's in good shape in and out, no cracks, brand new belts, K&N filter, h4 lights, 17" RoW rims & tires, included are 15" cookie cutters and snow tires (right?), sport package, good ac, heat, sunroof, etc. Momo shifter and pedals.

Problems:
-Clutch makes a funny popping noise (check out toms post about it here https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/150584-noise-when-shifting-na-what-do-you-think-it-is.html ) .. will need a new clutch soon. I figure it should last til december though (when im back from school) so i can practice driving manual on an old clutch and then can get a new one over break. (plz .. as much input as possible about the clutch .. read Toms post tell me what ya think)
-Antenna motor dont work.. he thinks its burnt out, needs new antenna too. Whats the cost of a new one? and is it a do it yourself type of job -how tough? Can someone post links to a kit and directions if its a do it yourselfer?
-Passenger side headlight almost dead. we assume it only needs a new bulb. (simple enough job, right?)
-Leaks power steering fluid. I feel like I can deal with that, he said he only has to refill it about every 6 months or so.
-I think the light behind the oil gauge needs replacing.

I think thats basically it. He's asking around $4000. I think it sounds pretty reasonable, but lets hear some more input. Also, one thing I wasnt sure of is should I still take it for a PPI if I decide I wanna get it .. or not worry about it? If it was from a random person id def do PPI, but I dunno if its really necessary here. On a similar note, when I talked to one shop about PPI's they said something about doing an engine leakdown (i think) with it.. but costs like $350. What exactly is the engine leakdown for, and is it worth the extra $200+?

Tom.. im sure I forgot something here or there so add away.

-Scott
Old 08-24-2004, 11:51 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not trust anyone related to Tom R.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

The rear hatch pins need to be adjusted. The car has recent brakes, flywheel sensor, cap & rotor and plugs i believe. four alpine speakers, funky pedals not sure momo, momo shift ****, wheels are 17" ROH, one front and one rear used tire.

yes cookie cutters with michelin arctic alpine snow tires. not sure of depth, should get through this winter.

oh, and the really bad. it feels like you are starting out in third after driving the camaro!

headlights are hella H4s, one fog light lens cracked.

now should we tlk about the car with a purported 67k that we went to look at today?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:28 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

haha that ones just bad.. i wrote a bit about it in a diff post. lets keep this on the topic of ur bros car?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

bump
Old 08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

comeon guys u can do better than this.. theres tons of questions begging to be answered
Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Car needs a new clutch. After that, it will start in first like a champ, but that's around $400 in parts plus labor. You'd also be better served by replacing the clutch hydraulics (master and slave), while you're at it.

Sooo, if the man is asking $4K, I say offer $3K and budget for the obvious maintenance items (see above) that will be needed right away. They're great cars with the required maintenance. My 83 has 214K and still runs strong as a daily driver.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Why is it so many of your posts make affirmative statements that are wrong?

What are the obvious maintenace items that will be needed right away?

The master and slave were replaced twice since june 2001. If it was my car I would have the exact dates, but still knowing it was done is more than you know. AAARGH.

If he offers three he will get turned down. If he offers anything less than the asking price he will get turned down. I spent a lot of time discussing a fair number with my brother. We played a lot of scenarios out. Like take the ROH wheels off and sell the car with just the cookie cutters. Or sell the cookie cutters on eBay, etc. came down to take off the Momo steering wheel and leave all the other stuff, like the alpine speakers, etc.

Here is the reason. My brother bought a time capsule with either 31 or 34k miles in June of 2001. The car is very clean, has 700 miles on the belts, two years on the radiator and water pump, three months on the brakes, one year on the tires, two sets of wheels, and the list goes on.

remember it takes a willing buyer AND willing seller. I told my brother someone is interested in a NA, does he want to sell? He hadn't thought about selling until i said someone on the board wanted the car. He doesnt have a replacement in mind yet, so he is in no rush to sell. He knows what he has, and knows how much a clutch costs.

the question is whether the car is worth 5500 with a new clutch and the other small things fixed? not how low he can get it for. It needs a clutch. How long can he go with the bad bearing?

Oh one other thing, most of the miles are highway.

Who has a better car for Scott? c'mon guys, someone has to have a 944 that doesnt look like dung for sale.

Quick Reply: Finally saw tom r's bros car.. opinion?