Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004 | 11:23 PM
snyper238
Instructor

Default mud flaps

i am getting some major rock chips and we all know those can be expensive to fix so i am looking to buy some mud flaps so i was wondering what everyone thought about some different brands and if they could post some pics of their 944 with them on
Old 08-24-2004 | 12:29 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

I think mud flaps, howwever practical they might be- simply look way out of place in this kind of car. Hope someone replies here with pix...

Zach
Old 08-24-2004 | 02:00 AM
Zero10
Race Car

I would like to know as well. I drive mine in the winter, and we salt/gravel our roads about 6 months of the year. My car has some nasty rust spots behind the wheels that I'm going to fix up, but I don't want them coming back right away. I think mud flaps, however bad they look are a very practical thing to add to these cars.
Old 08-24-2004 | 11:00 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Not if you have to drill holes to mount them! Once you start drilling holes in the body, you can kiss it goodbye, galvanized or no galvanized. Salt water WILL get in the holes and sit there in the bottom of your rear quarters and rockers. Once you drill a hole, it will inevitably rust into a bigger hole.

While the weather is still warm, put a wire brush on a small grinder and take the rust down to the bare white metal, then immediately coat with organic zinc primer. Then your etching primer, sealer, rock-chip coating, paint, and undercoating (inside the wheelwells). Take your time and do it right. Find out what the factory gray undercoating stuff is and get something like that. Buy your supplies at an autobody supply place, not a retail auto parts store. You will have to touch it up a little every year, but if you do it right it should last you 40-50k *winter* miles. You'll get dirtier than a coal miner stripping the wheelwells (safety goggles + respirator!!), but it's worth it.

When you undercoat the wheelwells, you may want to consider using enough to fill in/smooth over the little ridges that catch the dirt and bits of rock.

Just some ideas. I've done similar to much more rust-prone cars in the past, and never had a problem. If you take a weekend or two every fall to get under the car, inspect for rust and properly repair spots when they are new, the body can be looking great for a while.

just my .02 from driving in Cleveland, OH, where roads are salted from Nov - April and I've done a lot of driving in rural areas.

Cheers,
Old 08-24-2004 | 02:19 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Not true!!! I have snap on mudflaps made for our cars that really do stay on!!! Less splash on the sides, and the underspoiler is looking great too!!!!

I got them from Tweeks. (mid-america motorworks now) Mudflap link!

Here's a picture! Nobody ever notices i have them! I practically forget they are on. They are discreet and blend with the body lines. If you are driving in big water, or very rainy streets, i doubt they will help too much. For regular stuff though they are fine. Maybe about 2" hang down on the rears and 1" in the front with almost an inch off the sides of the wheel well. Here is a picture. They are black so they are hard to see against the tires. I have them on the rear behind the tires, and on the front behind the tires. The fronts are harder to see in the picture.

Old 08-24-2004 | 02:54 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

tony - that's excellent. i KNEW someone sold them, but couldn't remember who. they don't look bad at all!!!
Old 08-24-2004 | 03:00 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I have a set from an early 924 (931 type- Thanks Danny!) I will be putting on the rear as soon as I get the proper adhesive. I have resprayed them with a black rubberized paint and they look like new.

They will require drilling a few holes, but I''ll be treating those with a zinc spray on paint before and after installation.

It's a great idea for us daily drivers - keeps a lot of road spray off of the rear hatch window.
Old 08-24-2004 | 03:48 PM
snyper238
Instructor

so they went on pretty easily and u cant see them because i didnt want to buy them and they stick out like a sore thumb so maybe could u post another picture where i can see them better thanks
Old 08-24-2004 | 03:52 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Tony-

Wow those look pretty good from that view. Do you happen to have a side view you could post?
Old 08-24-2004 | 10:53 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Here is a somewhat side view. A total sideview doesnt show the mudflaps at all. I outlined the outer edge of the flaps in red. The second picture shows how they attach. Its a picture of the front. The rear is a little larger and has a few extra clips. No screws, no rust issues, no hastle! They pop on and off. They dont fall off driving, even autocross because the clips are barbed. (carefull handling them!)
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2004 | 11:07 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Tony, very nice. I was curious about the snap-on's myself, but I'm going to give them a try.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Old 08-25-2004 | 12:17 AM
snyper238
Instructor

so do they work pretty good with blocking the rocks cuz i dont want to throw away the 70 bucks or whatever they are
Old 08-25-2004 | 12:39 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Rocks? I dont know? Never really thought about that. I dont drive it in the winter when we have a lot of salt and rocks on the road. Then again, i dont really have any scratches on the sides either, so maybe they are working!
Old 08-25-2004 | 04:27 PM
snyper238
Instructor

ok well do u think they would help with rocks cuz where i live there is usually a lot of rocks even on the highways
Old 08-26-2004 | 01:56 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

It might help on the sides a bit, and maybe the rear valence, but if you have lots of rocks ide be more worried about big chips in the front bumper or windshield cracks!!

Quick Reply: mud flaps