Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stupid A/C question

On the receiver/dryer, which way does the refrigerant flow?
Is it from front-back, or back-front?
I think I may have installed my receiver/dryer backwards. They shouldn't make both fittings the same size, lol.
The problem I ran into, was that my receiver/dryer came with a big sensor installed in the top of it, which interfered with the headlights, since I didn't need it, I removed it, and installed a plug in it's place so the headlight bracket would clear. After I had the system filled, it looks like the bubbles are going front-back, which would mean I installed it backwards. If I installed it the other way, the sensor would have cleared with no problems. I just figuired since it was a universal receiver/dryer, perhaps they didn't think about the sensor getting in the way of the headlights.

Stupid question #2: I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but the receiver/dryer I bought is slightly too small for the clamp that holds it in. I had to push it down until the lip at the top of it was in the clamp to even be able to tighten it in. Has anybody else ran into this?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:53 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the direction you installed the rec/dryer will have no effect on the direction of flow, the flow is from compressor to condenser to exp valve to evaporator and back to compressor. A lot of the aftermarket dryers are somewhat universal, it's not unusual to have to use a spacer between the bracket and the dryer.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I know it won't reverse the flow, that just wouldn't make sense. I was just worried that I had it in backwards, and I do. It seems to work though, and I don't want to have to re-charge it just to turn the thing around, so I'm going to leave it I guess, and I'll try and remember for the next one I have to do. I just need to find a spacer to use.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:25 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zero10
Stupid question #2: I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but the receiver/dryer I bought is slightly too small for the clamp that holds it in. I had to push it down until the lip at the top of it was in the clamp to even be able to tighten it in. Has anybody else ran into this?
I just took mine out and replaced it, i noticed the old one had electrical tape wrapped around it where it clamped on to increase the diameter of the dryer. I think its the original dryer, but who knows. When i installed the new one i just wrapped some layers of tape where i wanted the clamp to mount.

Worked for me!
Erich
Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Zero10
Race Car

That's not a bad idea. The original ones are silverish in color, and are made of aluminum. Mine had the original (November/85) receiver/dryer on it, which I'm sure isn't good, and it had 3 huge dents in it, and looked like it had been run over.
If I didn't have to drain my system to turn the receiver/dryer around, I would right now.
I might be helping a friend with his A/C soon, so I'll be sure to put his receiver/dryer in the right way =)
Old 08-26-2004, 12:01 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zero10, why do you think it's in backwards? Isn't the dryer between the condensor and the expansion valve? So the flow is from front to back. Anyway if its working, why not leave it alone?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:35 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Because the flow arrow on it points the other way.
That's the plan, it's not worth emptying the system to turn it around if it works anyways, I just need to know, since I'll be helping out a friend with his A/C, and I don't want to put his in backwards too.

Quick Reply: Stupid A/C question