Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which impact gun?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Which impact gun?

I need a strong (350 ft/lbs) impact gun to do the rear wheel bearings myself on the 83.

Which gun should I get? Local stores like SEARS and Pep Boys only have units with 240 ft/lbs of torque.

TIA
Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my, Luis I could go on and on about this, but hands-down, no questions asked buy a Ingersoll Rand. If you are getting a 1/2" drive, they have THE best Titanium gun for $260 and even a quiet version. Performance? Sit down for this man, not only is it small and lightweight (under 4 lbs.) it has 1000lb-ft of "nut busting torque" as they put it I've lusted over that gun for a couple months now after my buddy got one at the shop. It's soooo nice. They also have the best 3/8" guns as well. Check them out.

...have I told you how much I like the Cab??
Old 08-21-2004, 06:53 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

1000ft/lbs? That's insane...
Old 08-21-2004, 06:57 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Yup, let me see if I can link you guys.... and the feel of it is incredible. It's not the bulky akward 1/2" like Pep Boys and even Snap-On sell. It's just a little bit bigger then most 3/8" guns!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:04 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought Harbor Freight's Earthquake impact gun at 625ft lbs. For $70, I like it. It easily removes lug nuts on the lowest air setting.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:13 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ir2135ti.html
Old 08-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but are these electric or am I also going to need a compressor?

Thanks, Kevin. I like the 951 Cab too!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:22 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get either electric or air impact wrenchs. I think the electric ones are a little bulkier.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:33 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The one I was referring to is air driven.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I second the Earthquake from Harbor Freight. It's a copy of the IR Thundergun, but only $70-$80. I have used one for a couple years with great results. It even works well with my little Coleman 110v 6 gal 2hp compressor.

-Joel.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to tell you that after working and running a few shops for a while those TQ ratings are a complete joke. Further, when you put them on "silence" it diverts air to a muffler making them even less effective. Hands down the MAC guns were the nicest, lightweight (plastic case) very few problems with continuous use (which most of us will never see, we dont do THAT much work on cars). IR would be my next selection. However, If you think they put out 1000 ft/lbs I have a bridge to sell you BTW - that rating is supposed to be an instantaneous output not continous and it depends on the CFM of your compressor.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't fool yourself into thinking that a small hand-held impact gun driven by a home/hobby-compressor gonna take that rear axle nut off. The torque-rating is only what you use to INSTALL the nut . Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the torque you need to take that #$@*&!% nut OFF.

I've snapped plenty of 1/2" breaker-bars with a 4-feet pipe attached. That's about a total of 5-feet and with my weight, that's over 1000lb*ft of torque on that damn nut and the thing just laughed at me! I went out and bought that HarborFreight 600lb*ft gun and at 125psi, nothing! HAH! That nut was still laughing at me. Finally took my car down to a local tyre-shoppe that deals with big diesel trucks. They hit it with their usual impact-wrench and it scoffed at them! HAH! They turned up the pressure and still nothing! HAH! Finally, they pulled out the heavy-duty Armageddon Ultra9000XYZ 1" drive impact wrench. The thing must've weighed over 60lbs as it required two people to carry and operate it. Even then, it required hammering away for at least 20-seconds before that nut budged! Then they put it back on at 200lb*ft for me to drive home and disassemble myself later.

If you're planning on taking that rear-axle nut off yourself, make sure you've got a BIG compressor and a BIG impact gun, at least 3/4" drive.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:03 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

"I have to tell you that after working and running a few shops for a while those TQ ratings are a complete joke. Further, when you put them on "silence" it diverts air to a muffler making them even less effective. Hands down the MAC guns were the nicest, lightweight (plastic case) very few problems with continuous use (which most of us will never see, we dont do THAT much work on cars). IR would be my next selection. However, If you think they put out 1000 ft/lbs I have a bridge to sell you BTW - that rating is supposed to be an instantaneous output not continous and it depends on the CFM of your compressor."

"Don't fool yourself into thinking that a small hand-held impact gun driven by a home/hobby-compressor gonna take that rear axle nut off. The torque-rating is only what you use to INSTALL the nut . Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the torque you need to take that #$@*&!% nut OFF.

I've snapped plenty of 1/2" breaker-bars with a 4-feet pipe attached. That's about a total of 5-feet and with my weight, that's over 1000lb*ft of torque on that damn nut and the thing just laughed at me! I went out and bought that HarborFreight 600lb*ft gun and at 125psi, nothing! HAH! That nut was still laughing at me. Finally took my car down to a local tyre-shoppe that deals with big diesel trucks. They hit it with their usual impact-wrench and it scoffed at them! HAH! They turned up the pressure and still nothing! HAH! Finally, they pulled out the heavy-duty Armageddon Ultra9000XYZ 1" drive impact wrench. The thing must've weighed over 60lbs as it required two people to carry and operate it. Even then, it required hammering away for at least 20-seconds before that nut budged! Then they put it back on at 200lb*ft for me to drive home and disassemble myself later.

If you're planning on taking that rear-axle nut off yourself, make sure you've got a BIG compressor and a BIG impact gun, at least 3/4" drive."

HAHAHAHAHA. This is humorous. Well having worked at "a few shops" and actually using guns every day, I can tell you they DO work. MAC is nice and all, but I was never impressed with their overall performance. Reliability? Sure, the Snap-On guns have that too, but neither really compare to Ingersoll-Rand's guns. Most of the guys I know who own them don't even oil really, and they work day in and day out.

Don't believe the torque ratings? Well considering I RARELY take the IR gun off it's lowest power setting (1 of 4) when working with it, I'd say it does pretty damn well. Even on that setting, it will take off lugs at just a touch and break rusted exhaust nuts like nobody's business. The quiet models? You might try using them for a while before passing judgement.

Actually that torque rating to take off the nut isn't far off from the installation torque rating as you might think. I mean, I change bearings in 911's (also 350lb.-ft) on the 3rd power setting. If they are in fact over 1000ft-lbs, then I guess the gun is under-rated?

EDIT... i still can't figure out this bold and quote hyperscript stuff
Old 08-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EDIT: not worth it.

Last edited by Matt H; 08-22-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Matt, come on, are you really throwing numbers out for a tire company and justifying claims that way? I DO use the IR at 1 for almost every job I need it. I don't use the quiet one though, because I actually don't care if it's quiet or not and I didn't buy the gun IIRC MAC shares only certain models with IR. The top of the line IR gun isn't shared with anyone. The model # is IRT2135Ti. Like their ad says "loosens a nut tightened to 1000lb-ft in 6 seconds." Look at the bulky Snap-On guns going for almost $400 then compare them to this one for $250. Do the same with MAC and Matco while you're at it. No offense man, but ordering a brand because your corporation has an agreement with a tool company, and actually using different brands on a daily basis, are two very different things. My shop obviously doesn't have as much net worth or revenue as your corporation does, but we also don't have corporate ties Here's an attached pic:

PS... nope, didn't move. I was down in FL for two years, but I'm back up in VA. I had a girlfriend from Chicago... does that count??
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Which impact gun?