Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Advice On 944S Several ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Turtle256
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Some Advice On 944S Several ?'s

Hello All,
This is my first post here and I am looking forward to meeting some new pals. Got a few quick questions I am sure that someone will have the answer to.

1) Just picked up a 88 944S. Nice car with very few problems, but the first is the airbox seems to be missing an intake piece from the right (passengers) side. From some pictures I have seen it looks like a plastic intake of some sort. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one?

2) Car is leaking a bit of oil, not bad, but enough to splooge up my garage floor. It appears as if the oil is coming from the timing belt cover below the car. It is missing a screw there, but I don't think that there is anything in where the timing belt runs that should leak? Any suggestions?

3) Need to get either a new rear carpet (cargo) piece or a good cargo mat. I have the linen interior. Anyone have a good used one for sale or any place that has decent cargo mats for sale?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, Turtle...

Answer one... Where are you? I'd try Ian's down in Pompano Beach, Fla. He's a sponsor (I think he is 944 online or Ian's European Auto or something like that) check sponsor list and you will find him. He is a dismanteler and sells new parts as well.

Answer two... Pull the cover! Could it be a bad front seal?)

Answer three... Check the search function... I think someone was parting out a linen interior recently.

Hope this helps!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 08-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Wilkommen!

To fully reap the benefits of Rennlist:

a) ask tons of questions...even stupid ones. Every new Porsche owner had to begin this way...so we understand. Just dont make the same mistake more than twice=beyond help.

b) participate in polls, questionnaires and owner surveys, to share experiences, projects, driving school, etc. Used to identify current trends, and opinions. Dont be shy..

c) Porsche 944/S/Turbo/S2/968 owners are a helpful, humorous bunch of bright minds, who have better things to do, than flame the argumentative, the highly-opinionated and clueless. We derive all our pleasure from simply driving this attractive, somewhat-obscure machine, and innovating new ways to continue enjoying it. After 21 years- this swoopy little 2+2 still has an enthusiastic following.

d) Post pix of your car. Every one of us shoot straight towards the new postings, that contain photos. It seems we can never get enough of seeing other owners' cars- especially well-detailed and waxed ones. As painfully redundant as this may seem- we just dont tire of this car, anytime soon. I think what we really seek are the shots of cars that make us gawk admiringly, from behind the computer screen. I know I do this too much!

Have Fun, learn something, make friends, drive better....
Old 08-15-2004, 11:05 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Turtle - welcome aboard. Rennlist is a great resource. I have an 87 944S, and with the help of this board and the shop manuals, my mechanical skills have progressed to now rebuilding my own engine.

answers to your questions:
1. there is a snorkle piece that connects the airbox to the front header panel. you can find this at a porsche salvage yard (www.oklahomaforeign.com here in oklahoma). i am attaching a picture of my car so you can see what it should look like

2. probably a bad front engine seal. replacement involves R&R of front belts, covers, water pump.

3. which brings up the next point - if you are learning the important maintenance items on this car, let me list them:
a. timing belt
b. water pump
c. camshaft chain tensioner

send me a private mail and i can discuss in more detail the extensive service history of my car that has led to an engine rebuild.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice On 944S Several ?'s