Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWBIE: help me identify this leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004 | 08:51 PM
CJF
Advanced

Question NEWBIE: help me identify this leak

Hi all:

I apologize in advance if this is a forehead slapper, but here goes! I've just noticed that my n/a 944 has started leaking. It is coming from the back of the car, on the underside of the body panel right behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. The liquid is clear, but is not water because it stains my garage floor as a whitish colour.

Brake fluid? If you can help or have suggestions, I'd appreciate it muchly.

Thanks!
--Jody
Old 08-13-2004 | 09:01 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

My guess is for BRAKE fluid. Either that or the turn signal fluid is again....
Old 08-13-2004 | 09:05 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Whitish liquid in rear? If it's brake fluid -- check your fluid level. Just a guess, but there is a drain that starts from the rear hatch latch through the side cubbie hole under the carpet -- I'm thinking it's water mixed with years of grime in that drain.
Old 08-13-2004 | 09:05 PM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

id say turn signal fluid too..
Old 08-13-2004 | 09:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yea, there are drain holes for water to run down through, pop your hatch and look in the wheel wells, you will see the hose.
Old 08-13-2004 | 09:58 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

If its water from a drain, you'll notice it more after a rain or car wash.

Brake fluid is more viscous than water, has a slightly oily feel, and doesn't readily evaporate. If you decide it may be brake fluid, be sure to check the level in the reservoir, and check it out as soon as posible. You don't want to ignore brake fluid leaks. Its bad when a car doesn't go, but it's much worse if a car doesn't stop.
Old 08-13-2004 | 10:27 PM
CJF
Advanced

Originally Posted by 83na944
If its water from a drain, you'll notice it more after a rain or car wash.

Brake fluid is more viscous than water, has a slightly oily feel, and doesn't readily evaporate. If you decide it may be brake fluid, be sure to check the level in the reservoir, and check it out as soon as posible. You don't want to ignore brake fluid leaks. Its bad when a car doesn't go, but it's much worse if a car doesn't stop.
Hi Steve!

The leak is only on one side of the car, has a slightly oily feel, and leaves a stain on my floor. I'm thinking brake fluid is a safe bet. i'll get it checked out. Definitely like the idea of stopping.

Thanks!
--Jody
Old 08-14-2004 | 12:22 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

The brake lines don't run behind the rear wheels. Take the carpeting out of the cargo area (just the piece on the floor that snaps to the rear -- it lifts right out) and take a look. You should see empty cubby holes on both sides behind the rear wheels. I would suspect that one of them has water in it.
Old 08-14-2004 | 12:40 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

on the underside of the body panel right behind the rear wheel on the driver's side
OH, on the underside of the body panel. Yea, no brake lines there.

The hose that drains the rear deck lid is probably not through the hole in the underside of the body. So that water collects and drips.

Jody, have you been washing that car again?
Old 08-14-2004 | 10:47 PM
CJF
Advanced

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Yea, there are drain holes for water to run down through, pop your hatch and look in the wheel wells, you will see the hose.
Thanks, Karl! I'll check tomorrow when I have some good light available. Appreciated!

--Jody
Old 08-15-2004 | 02:45 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

It could also be something stored in the cubby behind the back tire. If the PO put something back there (like a spare bottle of oil or something) it might've sprung a leak and drained through. Let us know what you find.....and ignore the stupid "blinker fluid" comments
Old 08-15-2004 | 02:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So what did you find out?

BTW, not that it sounds like yours are plugged. But i unhooked mine the other day (they just pop off), and both were plugged full of dirt and junk, along with the latch mechanism that they insert into. I took a wire and got them all cleaned out, and now it drains much better.
Old 08-15-2004 | 05:11 PM
CJF
Advanced

Originally Posted by 83na944
OH, on the underside of the body panel. Yea, no brake lines there.

The hose that drains the rear deck lid is probably not through the hole in the underside of the body. So that water collects and drips.

Jody, have you been washing that car again?
You caught me! I love washing this car. :-)

However....

The car has been sitting inside my garage for three days (therefore, dry). There is a sizeable puddle beneath the back of the car today. The liquid is coming from the lip of the underside of the body right behind the back wheel. I see the drainage hole where the tube is supposed to release the water from the rear deck lid -- does that mean that the tube is not properly connected? But why would it still be leaking liquid if it hasn't had water on it for at least three days?

Tell me it's a licence plate leak and I might believe it. :-)

How do I check to see if the drainage tube is properly connected?

Thanks!
--Jody
Old 08-15-2004 | 05:27 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Open your rear hatch and unsnap and flip up the corner of the carpet by that wheel. You will see a white tube running down into the wheel well. Grap it and pull it out completely, that means unhooking it where it attaches at both ends. Clean it out and reattach it, again checking to make sure the area where....oh hell i'll just go take a picture.
Old 08-15-2004 | 05:48 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok, here you go. Anyone makes fun of my artistic ability, i'll kick yer ***

The first hose is a drainage hose from the sunroof area. A long hose, if it got clogged, can cause leaks in your car. If it was clogged, maybe it let go and started draining. I would squeeze this tube thoroughly to see if you can knock anything out.

The 2nd picture is the rear drain hose for the latch mechanism. You can just pull it out of each end (it just slides over its connection on each end. Clean it up and put it back in.

This is the hatch hole that drains into the tube seen in the previous picture. Make sure there isnt any dirt in it.

This is the drain hole for the wheel well. Make sure you dont have water building up in this well, due to this hole being plugged.

If your rear hatch is leaking, water can enter and build up in any of these places. if the holes are plugged, they may drain slowly over the period of a few days. Lets start here and see what we can find.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE: help me identify this leak