Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP changing the clutch! My Baby let me down today...Clutch failed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 AM
savage944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need HELP changing the clutch! My Baby let me down today...Clutch failed.

Well it had to happen sooner or later... Just why did it have to happen while I am back down here in florida.... damn heat and hummidity.

Anyone ever try flaging down a taxi from the side of the highway? SUCKS!

Driving into work, 65 MPH, I shift and feel some resistance, then nothing... car starts slowing down, revs are up, but starts slowing down. I got her pulled over to side. Shifts fine, engine runs fine... but no go, I think I hear a rattling when I rev the engine. I assume its the clutch and that stupid Hocky puck center.

I got her towed to the house, thanks to Triple A.

Well its the orginal clutch and I was going to switch it out... almost 106K. Not bad.

I have a good 944 Sachs "turbo" style Clutch, that I can use. I don't have the kit, just the clutch, got it in trade... the question is... do I need to get a complete kit, pressure plate, bearings, etc... Haven't done the clutch on one of these. Anyone got any answers, suggestions, advice?

Anyone available to assist or help, maybe schedule something over the weekend or a up and coming weekend? Hemm.... I wonder is this a Case of beer or a keg' Kind of job?

Who is up for a wrenching party in south florida?

Last edited by savage944; 08-10-2004 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix text
Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
meanmaroon951
Racer

Its not completly nessacary to get the kit if the bearing is good , you should be alright but its one of those while your in there type things. Call vertex up and see what a kit would cost. If i were closer i would help but it would be a nice drive from VA
Old 08-10-2004, 01:13 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume this is on the 944. With the amount of work required to get in there I would change it all.

I changed the clutch in my 968 at 57K miles due to two inches of missing disk on the pressure plate side. Replaced the disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, needle and needle bearings. The needle and needle bearings were shot. The throwout bearing and pilot bearing probably could have been reused.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:14 AM
savage944
Racer

Yea I was thinking Vertex, or 944 online for a kit. The thing is even if I get the kit or kit less the clutch. Still going to need some help doing it. I know I called a shop in the area and they want around 1200-1400 to put in a turbo Sachs setup, that of course is parts & labor.

Sure don't want to spend that, especially not after replacing the engine in the Wifes Van.

Now if I can get the parts and locate some people who want to get together and do the job, I figure... I buy some steaks and beer... or some such and we make it a barbeque.

Get some other Rennlister cars in for some wrenching...

Yes its on the 944, my 84. The 924 Turbos are a different project. My 944 is my daily driver, so going to suck if I have to depend on public transportation till I get her fixed. The guy who can do the work I quoted, says its a week or two before he can squeeze her in.

Well if I end up having to wait, I will side line the "fixed light conversion" finish my turbo conversion, swap on the turbo head and cam tower, long as she is down... that stuff I can do easy enough, switch the timing belt and water pump too, but the clutch... I am lacking in knowledge and tools. Of course the cam and tower isn't a must, but it will fix that naggin lifter issue.

Have her reborn from the ashes of a failed clutch... faster and better... oh wait I mentioned turbo conversion... someone is going to flame me or hi-jack the thread with anti turbo conversion propaganda.

Oh well maybe I can get a moped to get around on... the only way that wouldn't suck is because its better than public transportation... till it rains!

Someone please save me from such a fate!

Last edited by savage944; 08-10-2004 at 02:26 AM. Reason: correct text
Old 08-10-2004, 08:51 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would also change it all, i thought my TOB was good, and 3 weeks later i got to do a clutch job for the 2nd time on my turbo Not something you want to do twice. Linsey has a kit for 65 bucks that has the alignment tool, PP and flywheel bolts, bearing tub, pilot bearing, 2 clutch fork bearings. You would need the TOB, which is about 140 bucks. I did not think that the turbo and the NA clutches were interchangable, so you might want to look into that.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:45 AM
savage944
Racer

The clutch is out of a NA, it is the "turbo" or late style spring loaded clutch as I understand it, with the spring loaded center section.

Its from a 87 NA. With only a few thousand miles on, fantastic shape. Should be a nice upgrade over the hock puck center.

I may just order everything from http://www.lindseyracing.com/ Might as well do everything right the first time, I wouldn't mind going with something that lets me get by till I have everything since this is a Daily Driver and I hate my other options, like public transportation.

Maybe someone has the the other parts??? Left overs from a previous job, or low mileage used? Not that used is a perfect option, but I want to get her together as soon as possible.

Maybe this weekend, next week, or weekend... something soon if possible. Also will trade parts as needed for the parts I need.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are the second person i hav heard say that the clutch is such a horrible job, then go on to say you are doing major motor work, i have done 3 clutches, and could probably do it in around 6-8 hours, its really not that bad.

Mark
Old 08-10-2004, 10:49 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by marky522
You are the second person i hav heard say that the clutch is such a horrible job, then go on to say you are doing major motor work, i have done 3 clutches, and could probably do it in around 6-8 hours, its really not that bad.

Mark
I would love to see you do a clutch in 6-8 hours by yourself without a lift, even if it is on an NA. It is not a horrible job, but not a fun job either laying on your back trying to hold your head up for an extended period of time, especially on a turbo. I've done 2 now on a turbo with a 1 piece, and while i got a lot quicker the 2nd time, no where near 6-8 hours, and i only dropped about 2 hours dealing with the intake and crossover.

With a lift, tranny jack, previous experience doing one, and a couple people, 6-8 could be possible, otherwise i would bet a lot of money against you.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh all you need for tools for a clutch job is an 8mm long allen socket (for torque tube coupler), an 8mm cheesehead bit, and lots of extensions and wobbles. First time i used a tranny jack, second time i just used a floor jack....not nearly as easy. I did both jobs by myself and i did not know jack about clutches when i started. Hint on the tranny, drop the crossmember attached to the tranny (unbolt the 2 bolts that attache the crossmember to the frame), it is much easier. You just need to disconnect your fuel filter lines. Clarks garage has you try and undo the 2 13mm mounting bolts that attach the tranny to the crossmember, but that is damn near impossible from what i found.

Also have drill bits ready, as you will probably strip out a PP or flywheel bolt and have to drill them out.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:01 AM
marky522
Drifting

Say what ya want, last time i did it in 9.5 hours, and that was getting very frustrated with the darn bellhousing.

Mark
Old 08-10-2004, 11:03 AM
marky522
Drifting

And i dont have a lift or trans jack, just my handy floor jack. Air tools definately help me though.

Mark
Old 08-10-2004, 12:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Air tools would be a big help indeed, as are racheting wrenches. First time savage, expect about what the book says.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:51 PM
marky522
Drifting

you are so right about the racheting wrenches, but that is a tool you cant skimp out on, the cheap ones break sooo easy...

Mark
Old 08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
savage944
Racer

Yea I read about similar experiences with clutches, this is why I was hoping for help! Well Why I need help.

As for major work, the other stuff is far easier to do. Work on top of or around the engine, isn't that difficult, but the clutch and all I have read on doing clutch jobs.... not a solo kind of job. Swapping a head is no where near as difficult. Same with installing a turbo.... basically you install the turbo exhaust manifold, hang the turbo, route the oil lines, route the air inlet and outlet pipes to the intercooler, install the intercooler, do the modifications to the fuel setup, etc... doesn't require hours on your back.

Of course if you are installing the turbo on the passenger side, say using a log style manifold, you will spend more time under the car than you would, if you are running a cross over pipe to the driver side, like the 944 turbo configuration. Even running the oil lines requires some under car time, but none of that is like doing a clutch. I have done them in other cars, I am not up for doing the 944 by myself, it would be foolish on my part.

Now on the other hand if I can get help... makes for an easier time of it.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:34 PM
marky522
Drifting

I'd be more than happy to help, but that 1200 mile drive to yourhouse is what is discourageing...

Mark

Quick Reply: Need HELP changing the clutch! My Baby let me down today...Clutch failed.