Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye 944, hello E36

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 01:00 PM
CJF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I always liked the look of the E36 M3, especially in 'estoril' blue. Defenetley one of those cars id like to have in the future, either the E36 or the M-Coupe.

What are the specs on the E36 cars?
Good choice! I owned a '97 Estoril Blue M3. It is an absolutely fantastic ride. The E36 is my favourite BMW body style (E30 is right behind). My car didn't have a sunroof, but who cares when you have so much torque and fingertip steering. *deep sigh*

--Jody
Old 08-07-2004, 01:04 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I dont know how many 951's will be passing me after I mod the S4. Muhaha!
And geeeez I am still a proud Porsche owner!

Well my buddy had a S4 and all he did was add MTM chip-MTM exhaust and he went from 250hp to 320hp and it was a fast car, he ended up having issues with his first gear, you should do a search in the Audiworld forum and check out some of the post's, he said quite a few other S4's were having similiar first gear issues. Still the S4 is a sweet car......congrats!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:24 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by esanmiguel
Sad to say but my 944 is officially now on ebay. Couldn't pass up a great deal on one of these BMW's. I am sure I will miss the '44 and I know I will probably get another one (Turbo, no more n/a), somwhere in the future. This was a great forum.

you traded a 944 for a european taxi?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:23 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is getting wierd... I have an E36 too.

In my past life I was always happy with the Japanese cars, but there's just no going back. Bruce
Old 08-07-2004, 10:42 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

esanmiguel wrote:

serves me well as it is more practical hauling my almost 3 year old son around.
slowazzporsche wrote:
you traded a 944 for a european taxi?
sloazzporsche, he has a 3 year old. Have you ever tried to put a car seat in the back of a 944?
Old 08-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You wont be missed, because you'll be back-and we wont remember you ever leaving, after this posting. Just-playing....The e36 is the last great 3-series car built- before BMW decided to make cars more expensive, yet have new interior/exterior dimensions smaller....for what- LITTLE GERMANS?? I went the Porsche route three years ago, simply because the BMW was too pricey, and almost Japanese-influenced lately. The BMW message boards were also chock full of testosterone oozing, monitor-staring, wanna-be wrench head youngsters who flame, superficially post BS, simply becasue they need a real life, and need thread attention, as a substiute. The market demographers are right though;

" Porsche owners are the most sophisticated, educated, and well-earned of all car owners, globally."

Enjoy The Ride,
Zach
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

hey esanmiguel, i'm guessing that's a 96 325i. nice ride, and are those original OEM lightweight wheels? if so, they are valuable and to be desired.

my M3 is a very nice car and quite different from my previous 951 (or my current S, for that matter). the M3 is bigger, torquier (?), more practical, has more eye-appeal (subjectively), and is all-around an outstanding car. my only real complaint is the doors feel like big, heavy, american doors - they just don't shut right. and the interior has a lot of cheap plastic.

my 944 cars have all been true driver's cars, though - tossable, quick, with good feedback and they just feel like they need to be driven. my M3 is an awesome grand tourer, but with some stiffer springs and better tires, this car would rock on the track (it already surpasses my limited ability)

marc - the S4 is a badass car. too bad its only outward clue is the S4 badge and wheels. do you like stealth? i saw a blue S4 several weeks ago (rare here in oklahoma) - a sweet ride for sure. and very easily modded as you stated. too bad my M3 isn't as easily modified as the S4. congrats on the new purchase
Old 08-08-2004, 01:44 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
951: There is no substitute !
NOOOOO! Luis is posting pics of the drop-top.... must... shield... eyes...

one day...

Hey Luis, that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask you. I've noticed that in every photo you take of the Cab, you have the windows up... why is that?
Old 08-08-2004, 01:52 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CJF
Good choice! I owned a '97 Estoril Blue M3. It is an absolutely fantastic ride. The E36 is my favourite BMW body style (E30 is right behind). My car didn't have a sunroof, but who cares when you have so much torque and fingertip steering. *deep sigh*

--Jody
Jody,

Since this is an almost-off-topic thread, I won't feel bad about bringing this up. Which motor did you get for your GLI? A recent VW ad caught my eye showing a new 2005 GLI with a sports package including supportive Recaro seats, stiffer suspension and even a sporty looking lower stance (ride height and side skirts and such) with improved rolling stock. I'm thinking in about 2 or 3 years I'll look for a pre-owned one with low mileage. I've already contacted VW to get more info and have talked to a dealer about meeting up for more info and a test drive.

Ahhh, German cars for the weekend, German cars for the weekdays... gotta love it (I can't wait)
Old 08-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
Hey Luis, that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask you. I've noticed that in every photo you take of the Cab, you have the windows up... why is that?
Well, primarily because it keeps the wind down, but also because it keeps the cabin somewhat more "intimate," like not allowing as much of my stereo to blast into the next car's "space" at lights.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:19 AM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 83na944
esanmiguel,

Looks great, is it a '96 325i?
This is a 95 325is.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:22 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Well, primarily because it keeps the wind down, but also because it keeps the cabin somewhat more "intimate," like not allowing as much of my stereo to blast into the next car's "space" at lights.
lol, i see... well if you get the chance, snap a shot or two with the windows down for me, Luis. My collection of "Luis' 951 Drop-Top" photos would greatly appreciate it

951 Cab
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
marc - the S4 is a badass car. too bad its only outward clue is the S4 badge and wheels. do you like stealth? i saw a blue S4 several weeks ago (rare here in oklahoma) - a sweet ride for sure. and very easily modded as you stated. too bad my M3 isn't as easily modified as the S4. congrats on the new purchase
Joe,
Thanks! I actually do like a little stealth for a change, after driving a red 951 for 8 years I dont mind the state troopers not seeing me coming
The front bumper is also a clue it's an S4 and not the A.
Plus there is always my 911 if I feel the need to stand out.
Cant wait to start modding the car! My wrench tells me I will be very pleased with what I can do and retain drivability.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
How would you compare the feel of the E36 with the 944? Is it like apples and oranages? I always liked the look of the E36 M3, especially in 'estoril' blue. Defenetley one of those cars id like to have in the future, either the E36 or the M-Coupe.

What are the specs on the E36 cars?

I know this is kinda-OT but I figured it help your question about handling between the E36M3 vs 944

I have drove three diffrent E36M3's.
However most of my seat time is in my friends 95 E36 M3 with a few mods.

Benfer CAI, JC Chip, UUC Catback Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, H&R Sport Springs, Turner Motorsports F/R Swaybars, OEM X-Brace, and Strut tower brace

I think it handles good but not as good as my 944. It seems like the rear end keeps you guessing and the steering is to light for my likeing. However it is quite faster then my car...
Old 08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Default Sport package.

This is a 95 325is.
Well, I was pretty close. Sport package, too. It'll be a great car. Only thing I've negative about 3er is they tend to lose water pumps and radiators early. But it's no worse than the 944.

Here's a couple of links for you:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com

http://www.bmw-forums.com

http://bmwcentral.com

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 944, hello E36