Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else got scammed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:31 PM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of scammers who will setup an ebay account, sell a dozen or so little items with awesome packing/shipping/service/speed etc so they get 10 or so positive feedbacks. Then they start selling items with a 'UPS picks up once a week' or 'please allow 3 weeks for delivery'. By the time the first people realize that nothing will ever arrive, they've had 5 or 6 weeks of bogus sales via 3 day auctions and 'Buy it Now' dutch auctions.

There are few lower forms of life than these guys.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the RX7 forums there is a forum called "good guy, bad guy" to air stuff like this. It is actually pretty nice. Someone will say, so and so screwed me. Usually that person responds with the REAL scenario. Sometimes, 5 others say, me too. Helps separate the good from the bad, quickly. Might be kind of neat to have it here, elminates vendor disputes and threads like this in the main boards and allows people to vent openly.

I was very surprised at how civil it was. Considering some of the other forum areas, I thought it was generally a nice approach. You would be shocked how many of the same people hit multiple forums.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jp944
I've heard of scammers who will setup an ebay account, sell a dozen or so little items with awesome packing/shipping/service/speed etc so they get 10 or so positive feedbacks. Then they start selling items with a 'UPS picks up once a week' or 'please allow 3 weeks for delivery'. By the time the first people realize that nothing will ever arrive, they've had 5 or 6 weeks of bogus sales via 3 day auctions and 'Buy it Now' dutch auctions.

There are few lower forms of life than these guys.
BINGO!.........Thats exactly what this one did. He sold gameboy/Xbox stuff and DVD's to build up a good rating (only 12, when I bid....LOL), then started selling the bogus Porsche parts. One thing about ebay is, that you can only search back last 30 days for the things a particular seller does sell by his name. I also, got caught up in scam fairly early, so there wasn't any time for any of the previous buyers to have either recieved their purchase or know that they've really been had yet (though I'm sure some were already suspecting it).

He did also burn a guy on a $170.00 purchase for a Xbox unit too as I remember, at the end of his stint. Two days after I filed a fraud compaint with ebay, he was removed from ebay (wonder how many others had already filed one before me), even though he still had some auctions pending. I loved his emails that he sent, with all the biblical phrases littered in them.......one of many early indications that I'd been HAD. I did have enough indicators to warn me before bidding, I just didn't heed them. Oh well......no more......(till the next time? LOL)

I kinda like the idea of having a members only "avoid/warning list" here somewhere......but I'd be somewhat concerned if it didn't have some very stringent guidlines for usage. It would be extremely unfair to list someone, or Company, and put them on the "list", without some awful good proof/indications that they really deserved the listing.

Be careful out there...........and I still love ebay, almost as much as my rear center reflector/light.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:35 AM
mick944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retorts!

Yeah,I got the bible verses after I threatened bodily harm.He even said he was going to turn me in to ebay because that was against the rules.As I look back on it,pretty comical really except I would still bash their head for sport.Oh well live and learn.I went back through my "sent emails to him and if someone got a hold of them they would have a good case against me for some rage counseling.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:36 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

jp944, exactly what happened to me. I was buying from a guy named Rick Knight in Arizona. He had 23 positive feedbacks and was selling an item i wanted badly at a very good price. The auction said wait 3-weeks to ship. I waited 3-weeks, then his 23 positive raiting became a 25 positive and 20 negative rating. Ebay did absolutley nothing to help me. I was out $83.01, but learned alot from that experience.

Quick Reply: Who else got scammed?