Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Driver Training course

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004 | 01:28 PM
CJF
Advanced

Default BMW Driver Training course

I had the chance to take BMW Driver Training (Level 1) on the weekend in Toronto. Let me just say that it was an awesome learning experience and whole lot of fun, too. My head is still spinning with wonder and excitement (almost as fast as the car did in the oversteer correction that I flunked!).

The training focused on these areas:

braking
steering (understeer and oversteer)
obstacle avoidance
slalom steering

We drove 330s (the instructors had Z4s!) and had two people per car with the instructors communicating with us by radio.

I learned about the 9 and 3 steering wheel position (as opposed to the traditional 10 and 2) and how important driving position is in the car. I am sitting a little farther back but higher up than I did and my side mirrors are adjusted differently now.

The most important piece of information that I gained from the training was this: "Always look where you want the car to go." When your car is fishtailing out of control, keep your eyes focused on the direction that you want to go in because your eyes are going to ultimately instruct your feet and hands on what to do. Here's an example: Have you ever wondered how people can drive into a telephone pole? Telephone poles are spaced ~60 feet apart and are narrow. They should be easy to avoid if you need to. The reason people hit telephone poles is because they were looking at them right before they crashed. Even if they wanted to avoid the pole, they were focused on it.

The instructors (in case they're reading this) were absolutely incredible. Thank you, Pierre Savoy and Kelly Williams. I hope to someday be able to drive 1/100th as well as Kelly does! She rocked!

*obligatory Porsche tie-in*
I went with my coworker who drives a 1989 944. He won the prize for the fastest clean run on the slalom course. I was so proud of him!

Happy driving,
--Jody
Old 08-02-2004 | 01:54 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing. Advanced driving training is an excellent idea, I'd love to do a few DE's- that's a while away for me tho-

They just started a "advanced driving instruction" for teens here in Cincy. I think it's an excellent idea, as most drivers (Especially newer drivers) panic and stiffen when unforseen situations arise.

You can gain experience and confidence by driving auto-x's as well.

Man, there is nothing like playing on a skid pad..
Old 08-02-2004 | 04:12 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

It sounds as if you had a wonderful time, Jody. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Now it's time for round 2, then 3, then 4....
Old 08-02-2004 | 07:32 PM
CJF
Advanced

I think all drivers should play on skid pads! It's quite the experience and tells you a lot about what your car can do and how you can mess it up with a little bit of inattention or too much bravada.

When are we going out driving, NeedPorscheSpeed? I'm a menace in the corners. My car says, "Get the hell out of my way" but not because of the boost or the awesome power. No, no, it's warning about the driver and her unpredictability!
Old 08-02-2004 | 08:48 PM
mdex
Racer

Pierre Savoy is probably one of the best instructors in the business. He has an ability to explain driving concepts in easy to understand (and sometimes quite funny) ways. We try to use him as an instructor in our driving schools as much as possible.

Everyone should take advanced driving training as much as possible. Even experienced DE drivers and instructors should take some tune up training from time to time. It amazes me how people just assume that they know it all when it comes to driving...

Marc

Quick Reply: BMW Driver Training course