Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel Plans: MI, Ohio (maybe), Rochester NY...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004 | 11:05 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Default Travel Plans: MI, Ohio (maybe), Rochester NY...

Thursday night i'm flying out of RDU and into DET to pick up the new to me 951, Sacha was kind enough to offer me a place to sleep making my weekend of travel slightly less hectic.

Anyway friday morning i'll be on the road headed east. I'm not sure if i'm going to try and get through canada, i'll have plates on the car (the MI plates, a bill of sale, proof of insurance, and the title) but i'm still not sure about trying to take a newly purchased car accross the boarder........

So if I don't go through canada I'll be passing through ohio during the day friday, if any rennlister wanted to meet up for lunch and were close to the travel route I would be up for that....

Then arriving in Rochester friday afternoon / night I'll be there the whole weekend. I have a wedding taking up a good deal of time. But here too if possible it would be nice to meet up with some folk. Other than the wedding my rochester plans include stopping in for a pontillo's pizza (I actually plan on taking two or three pizzas home with me.... we just don't have stuff like that in NC) and well i'm sure I have some old friends too see, but i'm sure i'll have some free time...

A new to me car, 1000 miles of driving, 3 days of travel, seems like a good way to spend a weekend to me..... (I just don't want them all to be like this).....
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

What route might you take thru Ohio? Some of us SOW guys may be able to be talked into shirking outta work (those of us that have a job) and have a little p-car lunch (which may or may not be different than a martini lunch ).
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:14 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Ian if you want to stop by and look at the tan leather seats let me know. I'm assuming your going to be taking US-23 south from Sach951s place?
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:22 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Well I guess I would come down through MI and stay in northern Ohio, but I don't know what roads I would be on, I'm going to guess I90, but my ohio geography knoledge is less than good......
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ian
Other than the wedding my rochester plans include stopping in for a pontillo's pizza (I actually plan on taking two or three pizzas home with me.... we just don't have stuff like that in NC)
Nor in Houston. I miss Pontillos. And Abbotts. You'd better have an Abbotts. I miss that more than Pontillos.
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:29 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

I will swing by abbotts as well, but after years of working at Pontillos I can't get enough of the stuff.... I think Pontillo's in Pittsford will be one my first stops......
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ian
I will swing by abbotts as well, but after years of working at Pontillos I can't get enough of the stuff.... I think Pontillo's in Pittsford will be one my first stops......
You're killing me. That's one of my old stomping grounds. I used to live in Pittsford, just across the canal from Bushnell's Basin before moving to Houston.

I wonder if I can get a 2,000 mile delivery order?

My wife works with a lot of people from Rochester originally and one of them organized a purchase of Zwigles hots. God, I'd forgotten how good they are. Time for another order I think.
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:49 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Zwigles hots are another thing i'll add to my list.... odd I go back to where I grew up and everything revolves around food......

Pontillo's (the Bushnell's Basis store is the one I worked at back in the day)
Abbott's (btw, did anyone else see when the abbott's by the airport was on the Daily Show?)
Zwigles Hots
Olive Tree (Greek place down town)
Itiallian food (there are few places I would like to hit, but I don't hink I have the time)
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:52 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by ian
Well I guess I would come down through MI and stay in northern Ohio, but I don't know what roads I would be on, I'm going to guess I90, but my ohio geography knoledge is less than good......
OK, a bit too far north for me, but Dan (944Fest) and some other listers are up that way. Have fun!
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:54 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

My wife is from Canadaigua. We make a point of getting Pontillo's pizza everytime we go up to visit her parents. Zwigles, had them too, many times.
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:56 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

If ya need a place to crash Friday eve in Cleveland (2 miles off I-90) My place is available.. BUT I'm working Friday eve till about 11ish..
Old 08-02-2004 | 12:02 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Hah, having you guys all remember where my CURRENT stomping grounds is amuses me for some strange reason. By the way, a bunch of the Pontillo's got bought up by this new place "Guida's" which is also pretty damn good. (The ones in Penfield, and Honeoye Falls and MAYBE the one up in Greece, but I'm not sure about that). Hell if any of you guys want hots just let me know ill package some up and send them out. Ian, i'd say I'd come meet you but, A. my car is FUBAR and B. im going out of town this weekend. But have a good time anyway! Oh yeah, make sure you goto Tahoe's and get a plate, not a Rochester visit without one
Old 08-02-2004 | 12:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ian
Zwigles hots are another thing i'll add to my list.... odd I go back to where I grew up and everything revolves around food......

Pontillo's (the Bushnell's Basis store is the one I worked at back in the day)
Abbott's (btw, did anyone else see when the abbott's by the airport was on the Daily Show?)
Zwigles Hots
Olive Tree (Greek place down town)
Itiallian food (there are few places I would like to hit, but I don't hink I have the time)
Hmmm.... How long ago was "back in the day?" That's where I always ordered from.

Don't forget Jeremiah's wings..... That place got too serious about itself though and the prices started reflecting it.
Old 08-02-2004 | 12:33 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wait, hanging in DTW? Something I should know about??? Thurs PM? I vote for Royal Oak!
Old 08-02-2004 | 12:36 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MPD47
Hell if any of you guys want hots just let me know ill package some up and send them out. Ian, i'd say I'd come meet you but, A. my car is FUBAR and B. im going out of town this weekend. But have a good time anyway! Oh yeah, make sure you goto Tahoe's and get a plate, not a Rochester visit without one
Don't be teasing me with talk about sending that stuff. I might just take you up on it.

Have any of you guys tried the State Fair brand Speedie Sauce? That stuff rocks. It's considered currency in my family (my whole family lives in Texas now).

And Nick's.... One of the pitchers for the Astros is from Rochester and his favorite meal is a garbage plate (found that out at one game when they did a "who am I" dealie). The SE-R guys have a annual gathering at Randy Ames' place every February and we always go to Nick's on Saturday night. Interestingly enough I'd never been there until I moved away.

Quick Reply: Travel Plans: MI, Ohio (maybe), Rochester NY...