Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delrin bushings....who's done them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:36 PM
dave120
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delrin bushings....who's done them?

Well pretty soon I'm going to be getting ready to install the new coilovers and torsion bars on my car, hopefully before my next DE. I also have a set of Racer's Edge delrin inner and outer spring plate bushings. I've seen mixed comments about how hard the install is on them. Chuck has recently posted a great writeup on doing the torsion bars and bushing replacements for his new products, and I know I'll make use of that knowledge. But since I'll be using the delrin bushings instead of his, I'm wondering how hard the job actually is.

We've done quite a few DIY jobs on these cars, we have a lift here at the house, and just about any machine or tools you can think of (just missing the CNC mill that we might get soon). Anyhow, how long did it take those of you that did that job? The coilovers in the front should be cake, the torsions will be a little harder, but still doable with all the great writeups some of you guys have done for them. These bushings are what sounds like it will be the hardest, but I haven't read anything that says it isn't worth the trouble so I'm going to do it. What kind of issues can I expect to have with these things? They look so simple yet are apparently a pain in the *** to do
Old 07-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With Chuck's great new write-up on the bushings, you should have everything you need between the Tech-session tbar article and M758's guide. The spring plate bushings are the same no matter what the material. As he pointed, no two cars are alike so you may need to shape them for proper fit. Hardest part is removing the rubber - stinky and a bit toxic - I recommend a respirator.

Once you start the porcedure, rennlist operators are always standing by

Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:31 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a link to the write-up? I'm going to have to do this soon.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind. Found it.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:47 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Installing the spring plate replacements isn't so bad unless you try to put them in the wrong order... let me explain. Delrin bushings are meant to not really move when installed, so they have a slight press-fit to them. Don't just put them in and hammer them though, or you won't be able to get the spring plate installed and you'll start hitting **** Clean all contact surfaces with brake parts cleaner and a rag, then wipe down with either silicon assembly lube or your favorite lubricant. Place the busing in and tap lightly until it rests about half an inch inside the mount. Then take the spring plate and install it about half an inch inside the bushing. NOW you can take your trusty deab-blow or mallet and tap them in together. It isn't so hard to do, but it will seem that way unless they are put in a certain way (like so many other things are with these cars).

Good Luck!
-KR
Old 07-31-2004, 01:50 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Skip... glad to come across a post from you. I just ordered my second shipment from you guys today, and AGAIN you guys send a shipping notice on the same day as I order! You guys are the single best parts suppliers for any make that I have come across. Your prices can't be beat by big-time suppliers (and I work at a shop!) and you consistently ship them faster then anyone else... I know that sounded like an ad, but really... thank you! And keep up the good work, you guys have my business for life.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:46 AM
dave120
Drifting

Ditto about Paragon's service...I got all my stuff really fast, like within 3 days of ordering it!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:48 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree. The old bushings are more or less welded on and takes some elbow work to remove. I used a little moly to lube and used a press to install. Easy really except for the removal of the old ones. Like the response of the Delrins also. Dal
Old 07-31-2004, 01:47 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgz924s
I have to agree. The old bushings are more or less welded on and takes some elbow work to remove. I used a little moly to lube and used a press to install. Easy really except for the removal of the old ones. Like the response of the Delrins also. Dal
This especially applies if you decide to upgrade to delrins only after your bushings are deemed "shot." If they are long gone, they are twice as hard to take out
Old 07-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Dave E
Pro

Make sure the fit is not so tight between the outer diameter of the bushing and the torsion bar carrier and the outer aluminum piece that the spring plates hang up. you should be just able to move them up and down by hand. Ask me how I know...
Old 07-31-2004, 06:40 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave E
Make sure the fit is not so tight between the outer diameter of the bushing and the torsion bar carrier and the outer aluminum piece that the spring plates hang up. you should be just able to move them up and down by hand. Ask me how I know...
Very true. It's a fine line, that's for sure.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:39 PM
dave120
Drifting

If the thing doesn't fit in there the first time, how do you "modify" them to get them in? The Racer's Edge instructions that came with the thing said that the bushings are a tolerance fit, but that the housing might not be. Will I have to hone the housing out or something if they don't fit right out of the box?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:54 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

The ticket is to get the plates clean...real clean! If not clean enough even the surface rubber left on the plate will **** the bushing. With this note I took a wire wheel/dremel to get the plates down to metal before the new ones were lightly pressed. Once clean use some light weight moly lube and lightly coat the bushings. Do this and I dont think the last question will be an issue. If so keep taking them off and adjust until it is free. The bushings are not that tight so if it hangs up it is in crooked. Also make sure the bushings go in the correct way as they have an tapered cut so be aware of the direction the bushing is going in. Dal
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 PM
dave120
Drifting

Thanks guys! I don't think this job will be as bad as I originally figured...hopefully in the next couple weeks

Quick Reply: Delrin bushings....who's done them?