Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody familiar with Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:32 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,229 Posts
Default Anybody familiar with Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA?

My dad is planning on flying to PA to pick-up and drive home a car they are selling. Anyone ever deal with them?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:53 AM
944 Hooligan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have talked with them a few times. have been extremely pleasant each and every time. they really move some nice cars through the pipeline so hopefully your dad will have a good experience.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:41 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

I live very close to Rayco and would suggest that you be very careful with them. I've never bought a car there but used to take my 944 there for service (and will never do so again) and people I know who have bought cars there will never do so again. Rayco has a great detailing staff and are excellent at cleaning cars and prepping them for sale. But Rayco also has a habit of telling you what you want to hear so they can make the sale and then not living up to those promises. For example my friend Dave recently bought a Range Rover at Rayco the following is a list of my friend's complaints (at least those I know of):

- In order to sell Dave the car, Rayco promised to get him the maintenance records (they were important to him) and never did.

- They promised that they fixed the coolant leak that the car had when he test drove it and failed to fix it correctly.

- They told him they would change the oil before he picked the car up and when he looked at the dipstick after he took the car home the oil on it was like black sludge (I confirmed this as I saw the car the next day). He took the car back and said what about the oil change and they told him that they did change the oil but the engine just blackened it up.

- They told him the car was up to date with all maintenance and it turned out that there was a ton of recall work never done on the car, so Dave had to go through a lot of work to get those things done.

- Also, a week after he bought the car, the battery in his keyless entry died and he went back to Rayco and they charged him $25 to replace it.

I stopped going to Rayco after having them replace the timing belts in my 944. They had me drop the car off the night before. I parked it right outside of the garage. When I picked the car up the driver's seat was adjusted totally differently- both power seat adjustments were made and both manual adjustments were made, which is strange if you are just going to pull the car in the garage and I believe that there were fifty extra miles on the car, although I didn't write down the mileage before I dropped it off so I can't be sure. Then they told me to bring the car back in 5,000 miles for a free timing belt tension check. I brought the car back and they charged me $250 to check the timing belts. I couldn't prove that they said it was free so I paid the $250.

Rayco is developing a bad reputation in this area and is not nearly as successful as they were ten years ago when they were a booming highline used car dealership. That's why they have started to advertise in Dupont Registry and are trying to attract new customers to replace those with whom they have burnt bridges.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I'm sure not all of their cars are bad though. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, that is the kind of info I'm looking for. Being a 2002, there is still 15,000 miles and 2 years on the factory Warranty. Once purchased, the car will never be back there again.

I'm also trying to make sure they are not the type of place that picks up wrecks, fixes then sells. I know of at least a dozen places around Green Bay that do this.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:38 PM
clangjr
Racer

I have first hand knowledge. I will PM you my cell number and we you can call if you'd like.
Chuck
Old 08-26-2004, 02:15 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Hacker-Pschorr,

I don't mean to be nosey, but if you don't mind my asking, how did everything worked out for your dad with Rayco?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Everything went ok, except for some paperwork got f-d up. They were using a financing place out of Texas that had no idea about Wisconsin laws. After two days of trying to get everything sorted out, my parents had to drive home. The original plan was to look over the car, sign the paperwork and head back.

So, still looking.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 PM
nsantolick
Pro

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Rittenhouse Neighborhood

Just had a nightmare experience with Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in Kingston, Pennsylvania too. Don't trust the bastards at all. ABSOLUTELY NO INTEGRITY... PM me for details. CAUTION...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Whoa - talk about a blast from the past.

Well, update since I started this thread. My father passed on the Boxster at Rayco. Purchased a 986S out of the Twin Cities shortly after.

He recently sold that Boxster and picked up a Ferrari 355GTS (red car in the pic is mine):

http://www.erik27.com/cars/355andffr/
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That "go to hell" plate on the Ferrari is fantastic. Puts my "i-tard" to shame...kind of.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Wait, was it the Red 944 turbo they were selling?

^Nevermind- Must have missed that post.

I live about five minutes from the dealership. I know the stories of the locals.
And yeah, Rayco kinda stinks.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM
rayco
8th Gear

Default Really?

Originally Posted by The_Phantom
I live very close to Rayco and would suggest that you be very careful with them. I've never bought a car there but used to take my 944 there for service (and will never do so again) and people I know who have bought cars there will never do so again. Rayco has a great detailing staff and are excellent at cleaning cars and prepping them for sale. But Rayco also has a habit of telling you what you want to hear so they can make the sale and then not living up to those promises. For example my friend Dave recently bought a Range Rover at Rayco the following is a list of my friend's complaints (at least those I know of):

- In order to sell Dave the car, Rayco promised to get him the maintenance records (they were important to him) and never did.

- They promised that they fixed the coolant leak that the car had when he test drove it and failed to fix it correctly.

- They told him they would change the oil before he picked the car up and when he looked at the dipstick after he took the car home the oil on it was like black sludge (I confirmed this as I saw the car the next day). He took the car back and said what about the oil change and they told him that they did change the oil but the engine just blackened it up.

- They told him the car was up to date with all maintenance and it turned out that there was a ton of recall work never done on the car, so Dave had to go through a lot of work to get those things done.

- Also, a week after he bought the car, the battery in his keyless entry died and he went back to Rayco and they charged him $25 to replace it.

I stopped going to Rayco after having them replace the timing belts in my 944. They had me drop the car off the night before. I parked it right outside of the garage. When I picked the car up the driver's seat was adjusted totally differently- both power seat adjustments were made and both manual adjustments were made, which is strange if you are just going to pull the car in the garage and I believe that there were fifty extra miles on the car, although I didn't write down the mileage before I dropped it off so I can't be sure. Then they told me to bring the car back in 5,000 miles for a free timing belt tension check. I brought the car back and they charged me $250 to check the timing belts. I couldn't prove that they said it was free so I paid the $250.

Rayco is developing a bad reputation in this area and is not nearly as successful as they were ten years ago when they were a booming highline used car dealership. That's why they have started to advertise in Dupont Registry and are trying to attract new customers to replace those with whom they have burnt bridges.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I'm sure not all of their cars are bad though. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.
So you are concerned that someone "moved" your seat? Sometimes a 6'3" mechanic doesn't fit in the seat of a 5 foot driver. As far as the mileage, cars need to be driven after work is performed to make sure all is well with the work. I don't really think they take customer cars joy riding considering the inventory that is available to drive everyday..
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeepers, I thought he was concerned about the long list of problems right above that paragraph, and the $250 charge for re-tension

Just curious, I assume you are representing Rayco?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rayco
So you are concerned that someone "moved" your seat? Sometimes a 6'3" mechanic doesn't fit in the seat of a 5 foot driver. As far as the mileage, cars need to be driven after work is performed to make sure all is well with the work. I don't really think they take customer cars joy riding considering the inventory that is available to drive everyday..
Why would you even bother dredging up and refuting a post that someone made 6 YEARS AGO. I could see replying right at the same time the statement was made, or even maybe 2 YEARS AGO when this post was dredged back up for some reason. But to bring it back up on your own now?

You either have a rather personal axe to grind (which is very unprofessional if you are Rayco), or you are just plain stupid. You take your pick.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trrrrooooollllllllllllll......

Quick Reply: Anybody familiar with Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA?