Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Lessons

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 10:09 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Default Daily Lessons

After being angry and upset about the current state of mean-spirited posts and threads I took a small vacation from Rennlist.
Rather than remain angry, I chose to rise above the negative and begin a positive series of posts. Being a student of religion, exploring the words and meanings of Zen and Tao I hope some of you stop to look. And maybe learn.

Here is today's lesson.

Sayings of Lin-chi, Part I

People who study Buddhism in the present day should for now seek truly accurate vision and understanding. Then life and death will not influence you, and you will be free to leave or to stay. You do not need to seek the extraordinary, for the extraordinary will come of itself.

The worthies of old all had means of emancipating people. What I teach people just requires you not to take on the confusions of others. If you need to act, then act, without any further hesitation or doubt.

When students today do not realize this, where is the problem? The problem is in not spontaneously trusting. If you do not trust yourself completely, you will then hurriedly go along with whatever happens in all situations; as you are caused to undergo changes by those myriad situations, you cannot be independent.

If you were able to put a stop to the mentality in which every thought is running after something, then you would be no different from a Zen master or a Buddha. Do you want to know what a Zen master or a Buddha is? Simply that which is immediately present, listening to the Teaching. It is just because students do not trust completely that they seek outwardly. Even if they get something by seeking, it is all literary excellence; they never attain the living meaning of the masters.

Make no mistake about it; if you do not find it now, you will repeat the same routines for myriad eons, a thousand times over again, following and picking up on objects that attract you.

We are no different from Shakyamuni Buddha. Today, in your various activities, what do you lack? The spiritual light coursing through your six senses has never been interrupted. If you can see in this way, you will simply be free of burdens all your life.

The world is unstable, like a house on fire. This is not a place where you stay long. The haunt of impermanence comes upon you in a flash, no matter whether you are rich or poor, old or young. If you want to be no different from a Zen master or a Buddha, just do not seek outwardly.

Do not allow any more interruptions at any time, and everything that you see is It. Just because feelings arise, knowledge is blocked. That is why you keep repeating the same routines in the world and suffer a variety of miseries.

The reality of mind has no form but pervades the ten directions. In the eyes it is called seeing, in the ears it is called hearing, in the nose it smells, in the mouth it speaks, in the hand it grips, in the feet it steps. Basically it is a single spiritual light; seeing thus, you are liberated wherever you are.

What do I mean when I say this? It is just because you are unable to stop the mentality of seeking that you get hooked on useless actions and states of other people who lived a long time ago. If you take my view, you will sit at the head of the embodiments of Buddha.

You have these obstacles only because you have not realized the emptiness of the eons. Genuine Wayfarers are never like this; they just dissolve their history according to conditions, dressing according to circumstances, acting when they need to act, and sitting when they need to sit, without any idea of seeking the fruits of buddhahood.

Time is to be valued! Don't stop with learning Zen or Tao on the surface as something outside yourself, learning to recognize terms and slogan, seeking "buddhahood," seeking "mastery," seeking "teachers," considering them conceptually. Make no mistake about it; turn your attention back upon yourself and observe.

— from The Five Houses of Zen, Lin-chi (d. 867)
Translated by Thomas Cleary (1997)

Old 07-27-2004 | 10:57 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
After being angry and upset about the current state of mean-spirited posts and threads I took a small vacation from Rennlist.
[/color]
Crawl back in your box you step-child of a Porsche owner... how's that??? I tried to keep the mean spirit alive!!!
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:07 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Very enlightening. Considering my present state of affairs. I have taken a new job 6 months ago, and have been struggling financially. I KNOW from my heart that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, it feels great, and I love it. I have been thinking, and pondering looking outwardly for clues. I want to follow MY direction. Thanks Chris.
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:25 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

jello shots, longneck bottles,
my job is to make you drunk,
if you werent drunk back then,
its a matter of when,
youll soon be drunk as a skunk,

whent the zen is all there,
like the puke in your hair,
and your chick is drinking your hooch,
the jello shots are,
the only cigar,
youll be smoking while screwing the pooch,
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:53 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, thanks! thats really a good message! It reminds me a lot of a philosopher I know of by the name of yourfriend411.

"jello shots, longneck bottles,
my job is to make you drunk,
if you werent drunk back then,
its a matter of when,
youll soon be drunk as a skunk,

whent the zen is all there,
like the puke in your hair,
and your chick is drinking your hooch,
the jello shots are,
the only cigar,
youll be smoking while screwing the pooch,"

Now thats..........profound!
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:19 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The attention span of most listers only lasts through 1... maybe 2 paragraphs in a single post.

Now I didn't read the whole thing but I am sure it was great.

BTW, I am sorry I forgot to forward you the picture of you pissing in John D's gas tank at the fest. I will get it sent as soon as I get to the shop tomorrow...

Old 07-28-2004 | 12:23 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 07-28-2004 | 12:26 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

what would happen if you REALLY did that?

seriuosly......
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:28 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

lol... I have the pic

Special octane boost
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:32 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

we have a winner. the first rennlist car to run like holy **** on holy ****.

the beauty is it couldnt have happened to a better guy.

Quick Reply: Daily Lessons