Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA PUT IN ITS PLACE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004 | 03:33 AM
Sami951
Drifting

FWIW my turbo with #250 front springs and stock rear torsion bars, coupled with Turbo S sways (27mm/18mm?) seems to have pretty neutral handling. I have absolutely no clue why... maybe it's the alignment (zero toe-in at front), maybe the front sway isn't working 100% (the inner bushings look a bit loose), or maybe I'm just not going fast enough ... anyway, lots of trailing throttle oversteer available!
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:39 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by fty
BTW has anyone done this upgrade to thier NA yet?
I used to have the turbo stock suspension bits on my car, but then I got bored and went crazy changing things for the better. (check the sig link below for run-down) Not that there is anything wrong with the stock 951 suspension.
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:42 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

thank you for sharing this enlightening thread. i believe i speak for the majority of not only porsche owners.. but sports car enthusiests as a whole when i say this, but i am now dumber for having read it.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:07 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carl Nall
M758... Curious as to what brand of 225/15 street/autocross tires you're running on the 83?

TIA

Yoko ES100's

Not the best Street tire, but gets the job done.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:12 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by fty
M758-You dont really notice the 250lb springs in the front with the Turbo front suspension, inst it only 50lbs more than the stock turbo spring? Im sure the wheels are holding me back prolly a little bit, it was the first time i had drivin it since all the radical changes, and I mean that literally, it was finished the day before the AutoX, so all i had was the 10min drive there to figure that car out. I think Ill be able to push it a bit further on the 8th. -chris Yeah i do need stiffer T-Bars too
Actualy the 250's are 110lbs stiffer than stock. I ran my 84 spec for a little while in autocross with 250's and stock rear t-bars before it was a proper spec car. It pushed pretty bad, but was quick due to R tires and a stripped out interior. It got much better with 28 mm t-bars. Since then I have learned the virtues of balance. Even with soft springs if the car has balance I can get alot out of it. If the balance is way off then I feel like I am fighting the car in every turn. Not much fun.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:16 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
wait, the turbo sways are worse for handling than the stock NA sways? what am I missing?
Well since he had stiff front springs and soft rear t-bars. A better set-up would be a turbo rear sway bar and stock NA front. The turbo bars are stiffer, but balanced. He messed up the balance with 250lbs springs and for no money could restore some by keep the stock NA front sway bar. Sure it is a little softer overall, but balance would return somewhat.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:21 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Campeck
hmmm do you think while in second gear in a corner I could disengage clutch and rev and realease?
would that induce oversteer?
cause I was understeering like a dogg out there....
Sounds to me like it would just break something. Honestly is is best to hook up with a local insturctor and have him help you out. My guess is that since you are a new driver you are making a number of small mistakes. Heck knowing what I know now about driving I can you when I was your age I knew nothing. Hey at least you are starting out right with autocross early. Took me 8 more years to discover autocross and few years of autocross to get any good.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:23 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
but what if you only have room for one car in the garage...IE my dad's S2...while my NA gets rained on
You're b!tch!ng about RAIN??? Give me a break, my car sees it all, hail, snow, rain, fog, sleet, whatever you name it it's been there, along with many other rennlist'rs cars im sure. You complain about RAIN? When you have a 356, you can b!tch about rain, until then.... stop.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:30 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by fty
Ill post a run from last weeks autoX, youll see there isnt much understeer. The question is do you want teh run with the spins or a clean run?
Well interstingly enough one of my worst days for spins came when I noticed I bumped the slider on my rear weltmeister on my trailer floor. Seems to have loosed the rear bar considerably causing understeer that I was attmpeting to dial out with trail braking. Unfortuanlty too much trail braking cause a few spins. Funny that when I took the stiffen the rear bar the car got more stable mostly because I could return my driving style to what I liked. So just because I car has understeer does not mean it won't spin.

PS a run with spins can show why you spun.

oh.. I have to add that "balance" is not always fixed. What I mean is that noice drivers tend to like more understeer since it feels connected, but experience drivers like a more "lively" feel that comes with a little oversteer in the chassis. When I say my balance is perfect on my 83 it is given my drivng style for autocosses. In tight 180 corner I brake hard trail brake to get the back end around catch and go. I did some runs with a little too much oversteer and could not get the car hook up on corner exit and thus lost time. I add the spare tire back in and the car had just enough grip to exit the corners well and enough oversteer to get around the tight corner quickly. On the longer corners I wouldl just balance the back end of the car using throttle and few steering corrections. The car never felt quite "stable", but never so unstable as so that it could not be controlled at the limit. My spec car has a similar balance when on the race track. Personally I find the trick is dial in as much oversteer as you can handle safely and so that you are not fighting the car to get power down. It is fine line. Oh how sweet it is when you find it.
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:59 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoffman912
thank you for sharing this enlightening thread. i believe i speak for the majority of not only porsche owners.. but sports car enthusiests as a whole when i say this, but i am now dumber for having read it.
Where'd that come from?
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:42 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
You're b!tch!ng about RAIN??? Give me a break, my car sees it all, hail, snow, rain, fog, sleet, whatever you name it it's been there, along with many other rennlist'rs cars im sure. You complain about RAIN? When you have a 356, you can b!tch about rain, until then.... stop.

I'll b!tch what I want to b!tch about when I want to b!tch about it

Old 07-28-2004 | 12:51 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Well none the less.... i still love the way your engine looks
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:53 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
Well none the less.... i still love the way your engine looks
why thank you

dad payed for it all
Old 07-28-2004 | 02:58 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dlefko
i've never driven, or been a passenger in a 951. so i'll stop here.
I'm almost road ready again. I'll take you for a ride.

Bring a clean pair of shorts.
Old 07-28-2004 | 03:16 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Autocross is for the ladies.........rarely hitting speeds of over 65 mph in a parking lot is hardly what I would call racing!

Quick Reply: NA PUT IN ITS PLACE