Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad timing belt rollers give more HP???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bad timing belt rollers give more HP???

Hey all, here's the low-down: beside the fact that my 944 was VERY overdue for a timing belt job, it's identical to my mom's 944. I've driven both cars, and mine clearly has at least 10 more horsepower. I just thought it was a luck of the draw, like my car just happened to have a more peppy engine or something. Well today I took out the timing belt and balance shaft belt, along with all the rollers and tensioners, which were all bad. They all spun freely and with no resistance. I got to thinking, could it be that because all these rollers and stuff are not supplying any resistance to the crankshaft, would some extra HP be freed up? Both cars have brand new clutches, both run the same oil, and both are bone stock. Am I high, or would free-spinning rollers really free-up horsepower?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:55 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me crazy, but id look elsewhere. These cars are a little tired due to how old they are, id check vacuum lines, maybe extra weight (got a system). I dont think having bad rollers would do anything except tease your wallet. But then again what do I know, im just a kid.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Must be something else - maybe your mom's car has a bad O2 sensor, there are a lot of things that can effect horsepower.

Where in SF are you located?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Well today I took out the timing belt and balance shaft belt, along with all the rollers and tensioners, which were all bad. They all spun freely and with no resistance. I got to thinking, could it be that because all these rollers and stuff are not supplying any resistance to the crankshaft, would some extra HP be freed up?"

Well, comparing two cars is difficult. They have production variations as well as usage patterns and drivers. You have to compare on the same car before & after replacing the belts & rollers. Paul Bloomberg on the list here did a dyno-comparison before and after removing his balance-shafts. That's gotta be a more significant difference than new vs. old rollers. Guess what he got? 3-4hp from removing the balance shafts and rollers. You're definitely not going to feel that in the SOTP dyno...
Old 07-24-2004, 01:34 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, the only dyno I've used so far is the seat of my pants. I just installed the new rollers and belts today, tomorrow I can test-drive it. I probably won't feel a difference, but I'll let y'all know what happens. In the mean time, I can think about what might be reducing usable HP in my mom's car...
Old 07-24-2004, 04:41 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtf everyone in your family drives a font engine porsche, thats so cool
Old 07-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When these cars were new, we could drive 10 off the truck. there would be some that were noticably faster and some noticadly slower. We talked about it in training classes and everyone had noticed the samething. Sometimes the planets align, somtimes they don't.

Quick Reply: Bad timing belt rollers give more HP???