Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions before removing flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:24 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before removing flywheel

Ok, I've been reading through the archives and have seen a couple things that I want to check on before going ahead and pulling off the flywheel to get it resurfaced.

1. People say that the flywheel can only go on one way. Is this true of the S2 as well? I know that it doesn't have the bolt on the flywheel so I'm not worried about that, but does it also only come off one way?

2. Alignment of the reference sensor. I saw in clarks garage that this needs aligned if you removed the bracket, and it shows to do this with a .8mm washer on the end of the sensor. Do you do that and adjust until the washer hits teeth on the flywheel to tell that the mounting bracket is on correctly and then remove the washer?

I'm just making sure that I have thigns figured out before I go ahead and attempt this, as I only have two weeks before I drive back to Cleveland for school and want to make sure I don't run into any no start problems or have to dissasemble the whole damn clutch again because I screwed something up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me and my dad just did this to his S2.....
the flywheel..when all bolts are removed...will just slip off.
there is a peg on the engine which fits into a hole on the flywheel.
so you cant put it on wrong....

the alighnment of the sensors....If your engine is dirty..like all engine's
then you can just reattach them by using the dirt shadow as a reference......thats what my dad did..( I think)
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Install the sensor, use a feeler gauge to set the distance between the sensor and the timing teeth, tighten the bracket, remove sensor, replace bellhousing, install sensor.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:08 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, you would adjust the sensor down until it makes contact with the flywheel, then tighten down the mounting bracket, remove the sensor, remove the washer, install the sensor again. Away you go.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:13 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Did you really have to remove the bracket? I did the clutch on my 83 without removing it.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:32 PM
rihaa
Racer

Yes, the bracket is different on later models due to the fact that one sensor does both speed and reference. The bracket sticks down into the clutch housing just enough that you can't get the housing off without removing the bracket.

Quick Reply: Questions before removing flywheel