Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAHA!!! my car just zapped the hell outa me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 04:48 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Talking HAHA!!! my car just zapped the hell outa me!

ouch.......

Okay...so Im putting the distributer dust cap on right?
that goes well..I turn the engine on and listen to the purr....
then I recall....at the fest harry(hoffman912) pulled the spark plugs and would listen to the engine run on 3 cylinders....so I get the bright idea to do the same.

I reach for the distributer cap...DOH!!
I grap the #4 plug wire...DOH!!
I pull it out...DOUBLE DOH!!!
and immediatly.....ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP HAHA I get zapped like 5 times in a second.!!
It didnt hurt as much as it surprised me cause I saw harry do it....so why couldnt I?
I let the plug go and it continues to make zapping noises and flash little lightning bolts to the plug from like 3 in away!

so I ran to the key and shut it off......the end.
Old 07-21-2004 | 04:50 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

it's your car flaming you for that huge offtopic thread (edit: THREADS) you had...and speaking of which...this is too
Old 07-21-2004 | 04:50 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

- now my arm is feeling kind of numb.....
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:30 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

heh, yea there is quite a bit of electrical potential in an ignition system. if it can bridge the gap of a spark plug it can do a number on you. ive experienced the same though!
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:41 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
Maybe typing with one hand will slow him down!!

This is not very smart. There is a LOT of voltage at the plugs, that's why they sell INSULATED spark plug holders for spark plug firing testing.

While Hoffman may serve some to emulate, he knows how to do this without GROUNDING HIMSELF!
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Campeck
Natural selection is a painful thing.
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:05 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now be glad it isnt more than a fraction of an amp
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:17 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

i got tasered the other day (voluntarily) - now thats a pretty good zap. 10,000 volts - but only miliamps...
http://homepage.mac.com/flacaproduct...Theater12.html
Old 07-22-2004 | 01:29 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

My dad is an electrician, so I have learned how not to do dumb things with wires. I've seen a couple of his employees get shocked pretty bad so I've come to almost fear electricity.
Old 07-22-2004 | 04:17 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

a fraction of an amp is right, considering it takes like 100 milliamps to kill someone. but ignition systems have barely any currrent, it is just very high voltage (hey! is that a coil? "yes son, it is. it makes our car go vroom vroom and our stove get hot. BASF makes things better, you know."). ive shocked myself on an engine before, it does suck, but you learn. running a car with a pulled or bad spark wire that is grounding is not a good for the engine, though; it can melt your coil.

Frozen chocolate donuts anybody? MMMMMM TASTY!
Old 07-22-2004 | 04:21 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

You are such a pecker......

dude you remind me of that time I was like 2 and stuck my finger in a light socket just to see if I could make the sound of a vacuum cleaner

Andy
Old 07-22-2004 | 04:42 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheStig
dude you remind me of that time I was like 2 and stuck my finger in a light socket just to see if I could make the sound of a vacuum cleaner

Andy
So......what did you sound like?
Old 07-22-2004 | 04:48 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

ever watched "There's Something About Mary" and Ben Stiller got the zipper to the top? Kind of like that...

Andy
Old 07-22-2004 | 06:30 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

sure.. blame everything on ol hoffman..

ashton you crack me up man. one thing i remember more than alomost anything about my dads 944 was a big ****ing sticker on the engine that said ACTUNG!!!! and had a lightning bolt right next to the electrical and ignition system. (in case you didnt know, actung in english means , or as i like to say be careful dumb *** )

i know you saw me get zaped once at 944 fest.. i flintched said oh **** real quick and left it at that, but that was it b/c it was a quick shock with comparitively low voltage to your car. you see there is a big difference between my car and yours. mine is 60's technology.. yours is 80's... there was alot of advancements in ignition systems in that gap. and mine while it will shock this **** out of you it wouldnt light up a candle where as yours would light up a stadium and take the hair off your chest.. well bad analogy, but you get an idea.

i pull the plug wires holding the top/ back part of the insulated ends, and try to stay away from the distributor cap.. when i pull them i can tell how well the car is running on which cylinders b/c of the difference between the way it runs with that cylinder connected and disconnected.. thats how i can tell which idle jet is plugged, or which plug is fouled etc.. my car is an extremely different beast. the way i trouble shoot on mine will kill you on yours, because of how advanced it is. i would definitly not try this on any car other than a vw, a 356, a 912, or somthing old and antiquated like that. 911's same era muscle cars etc and up.. it will kill your ***, b/c they have much more advanced ignition systems. next time you try somthing like that, get your dads oppinion on how to do it right or have him show you so you dont kill yourself

be careful ashton.. we want to have you around at next 944 fest. remember buddy.. achtung!

Tifosi.. good to see youre back.
Old 07-22-2004 | 08:41 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Harry, cm'n man, don't tell me you still have the old black coil in there...Porsche is a bit more progressive than you think
I used to have so called "super" coils in my '73 beetle way back when...OEM part!!!
over 15.000 volts when cold and dropping back to 12.000 when warm (this to prevent the spark from hitting the piston top, burning a hole in it in the process)
OK, OK. Not identical to the 944 system but it sure "zap's" (to use Campeck's phrase) the hell out of you, if you are in contact with the car body.
Anyway, someone learned a lesson the hard way and was kind enough to warn the others...
TakeCare

Quick Reply: HAHA!!! my car just zapped the hell outa me!