Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash fan suddenly inop!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash fan suddenly inop!

Like the title says--yesterday tried the fan **** on the dash and nothing on any setting. Push in A/C button--compressor engages, but no fan, same with defrost button. So, anyone point me in the right direction--all fuses already checked, and it worked fine on Saturday.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 AM
JB '87 944
Instructor

This problem also plagues me infrequently...I've read a number of threads on this over the years without much luck or direction to the real issue here. I've often found the fan would work in the number 4 position or highest selection, but nothing in the lower selections...but then again, this is infrequent for me.
However, for what it's worth, the fan wouldn't work yesterday...having done all of the **** twisting, A/C switching on and off I tried something completely different, and it worked (Lord knows why)....I slid the bottom air volume switch from it's position and presto...the fan came on.
Seems to me there are gremlins in the electrical system.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
NeilW
Advanced

The problem where the fan only works on full/4 is usually caused by the resistor block becoming dirty or corroded.

The resistor block is located on top of the blower assembly at the base of the windscreen. It's about 4" long, white, held down by 2 screws. You'll need to remove the thin black cover that protects the area from rain (sort of!). Remove the resistor block and clean the contacts as best you can. I believe it's the thermal cut-out switches that usually cause the problems. You could try carefully sliding some find sandpaper between the contacts. This worked for me around 6 months ago and the fan is still OK today.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't be scared of it either. The resistor block is real easy to get to, and the only hard part is you have to use thin piece of sand paper with something thin and rigid to get it in between teh contacts. Be careful you don't bend them upwards at all or they won't make contact at all anymore.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help. I will clean the contacts on Saturday--but it seems odd to go from working fine to nothing. Pelican suggested it may be the relay G1. Anyone have a PN for the G1 relay? I might as well try both approaches.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The resistor usually goes one position at a time or gradually. It might be that, but a loose connection or bad switch is a possibility too. I'd test for power at several locations before ordering parts. That's the best way to diagnose this problem. Just make up a tester with two wires and a bulb if you don't have a multimeter.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been offered a free relay--if I can locate the PN for G1--anybody know(my car is at home) 86-951 relay G1
Old 07-23-2004, 09:14 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

I had the same problem of the fan only working on no.4 Tried cleaning mine up, but ended up replacing it. A few of us on the PCGB forum suddenly had the problem at the same time. Easy to replace, as described in previous posts.
This is what they look like. (climate control)
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Where did you get a new one? how much was it? mine died I think And I cannot clean it and get it to work... I think that is the problem anyway.. is there anything else that would cause the fans only to work on speed 4
Old 07-23-2004, 09:31 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

I got mine from www.porsch-apart.co.uk as did the other guys one by one. It was a second hand part and cost £20.56. I'm afraid the company is in the UK.
You have the symptoms! You can try cleaning the microswitch. After cleaning mine and not working it was worth the twenty quid to 'plug in and play' without any hassle.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

microswitch? Oh the contacts on the ballast?

I already dida few weeks ago.. and its been working fine since, until the other day after i did my exhaust..

and just cleaned it again, and it didnt do anything...

So where else can I look besides the ballast??

Or is there any other places on the ballast i can service?

Quick Reply: Dash fan suddenly inop!