Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a 944?

3 times I have had to tow my 83' 944. I have yet to find an apropriate tow hook. Where the hell do you guys tie on to tow the car?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Do you have the towing eye? It screws into the front bumper. On an euro spec 944, the threads are under one of those black bumperettes, can't remember if it was left or right... also, not sure how it works if you've got a us-spec front bumper - but I'm guessing it's the same thing (isn't the only difference that the us-spec bumper doesn't have additional high beams/parking lights, and the bumperettes are a bit wider?)
Old 07-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an early one as well, and the time that I had it towed, the guy made sure that he had some short straps that he connected together, then connected the winch to those.

There are some sort of points UNDER and behind the front valence. It will get pulled a bit and hopefully won't break on you..

Good Luck

Don
Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

on my 85.5, under the passenger side up by the power steering pump and control arm is a bracket connected to the frame with a slotted hole which will accept a tow hook. the promblem is that if the truck bed is too steep, the tow line is bearing against the bottom of the spoiler until the car starts on an angle up the ramp. i dont think there is anything on the pre-87 bumper to accept the tow hook.

I'm thinking you would want to push the car as far onto the ramp as possible (assuming you can) before winching it up the rest of the way.
all of these cars should have been fitted with a towing eye.

I am still waiting for a post regarding this topic that tells how we can retro-fit a treadded block on the frame to accept a towing hook for emergencies.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by fezz
on my 85.5, under the passenger side up by the power steering pump and control arm is a bracket connected to the frame with a slotted hole which will accept a tow hook. the promblem is that if the truck bed is too steep, the tow line is bearing against the bottom of the spoiler until the car starts on an angle up the ramp. i dont think there is anything on the pre-87 bumper to accept the tow hook.

I'm thinking you would want to push the car as far onto the ramp as possible (assuming you can) before winching it up the rest of the way.
all of these cars should have been fitted with a towing eye.

I am still waiting for a post regarding this topic that tells how we can retro-fit a treadded block on the frame to accept a towing hook for emergencies.
My '87 has two of those hooks like you describe, one on the left & right front sides.

In the rear however your best bet is to invest in the KLA rear tow points (www.klaindustries.com).

That's if you have a US-spec car, which I think PR uses. If I'm wrong & you're Euro-spec, then there should be a hole in the bumper front & rear for a tow hook to go into (you'll need a threaded tow eye which should be in a bag by the spare tire).
Old 07-19-2004, 11:10 PM
944s2guy
Instructor

so how do you get a towing eye for the front if you dont have one.....
Old 07-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Mine44
Advanced

One word:

Flatbed.

If that isn't an option, try to get one of those new fandangled tow trucks with the arms that swing around the tires. They can raise your rear rubber up about 2" and clear both your front spoiler and your rear tires without incident.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Mine44
One word:

Flatbed.

If that isn't an option, try to get one of those new fandangled tow trucks with the arms that swing around the tires.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:38 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Those slotted "tow points" on USA cars are actually the tie down points when they put the cars on a ship to get over to the USA. Usually they were removed as part of "dealer preparation". To make matters worse the USA front bumpers on the NAs didn't have a tow point under the bumper pad like Sami describes. That was only the Euro bumpers. So, you are stuck with cooking something up yourself that doesn't bend the body work when you hook on to it. You could probably get a U shaped tow point made up that bolts to the forward frame rail like the 924s have.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM
adie
Pro

Or a 1 man tow frame that attaches to the bumper brackets, you only have to undo 2 bolts on the bumper, slide it off and atach the frame.

Quick Reply: Towing a 944?