Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last call for a 951!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 10:41 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by v944god
Thats all I do when I have free time..

I go on the usual listing.

Rennlist classifieds
eBay
Want ad press
Auto shopperonline
Cars.com
Carbuyers.com
Carbuyer.com
Autotrader
Etc..

I would love to get a car from a rennlister, but I can't find sellers in the area.

I would paypal a person a $100 + .03% if they led me to a purchase of a car

I'd consider joining PCA and getting access to their classifieds. You'll find a lot of nice 951's there. Just another suggestion.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:42 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
The RX-7 is every bit as much fun as a 951 and EASILY can be as fast, they look fantastic and drive very well (on highway much better than any 944 I have ever driven).

That said, I would never have a 3rd gen unless I had enough money for an engine rebuild at all times.
Exactly my thinking. I got a ride on an RX7 R-1 once and it was quite a car. I am a BIG fan of the looks too. I would probably own one, but the engine problems do scare me.

The sound system in them is pretty cool too. All that Bose tubing in the back. No idea if it works, but it "looks" like it works.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this car????

Click Here

Located in MA, and belongs to a Rennlister. Car was listed at the end of May on the NER PCA site....

HTH,
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly my thinking. I got a ride on an RX7 R-1 once and it was quite a car. I am a BIG fan of the looks too. I would probably own one, but the engine problems do scare me.

As they do most people. In stock form they are only so/so the turbos fail constantly. In modded form, you better have a good working knowledge of a rotary motor or be on first name basis with certain tuners.

The sound system in them is pretty cool too. All that Bose tubing in the back. No idea if it works, but it "looks" like it works.

Only on the Touring cars. R-1s never had that setup as it weighs a ton. Works terrific.

There are 2 holy grails of 3rd gen:
Competition Yellow Mica R-1
Any R-2 (1995 only and RARE)

I'd consider joining PCA and getting access to their classifieds. You'll find a lot of nice 951's there. Just another suggestion.

Never seen a car in a PCA classifieds that was priced within reason. I have seen some cars advertised there for 5K that I looked at and thought, parts car, 500 bucks.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I had forgotten about the R-2. Thanks for the memory jolt. I have never seen one. In fact, other than the R-1 I rode in, Ive never seen another R-1. I dont even see many last gen RX7s. Maybe they are all in the shop getting new engines. Not to say Porsche hasnt had a few warts either.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally posted by Riff
How about this car????

Click Here

Located in MA, and belongs to a Rennlister. Car was listed at the end of May on the NER PCA site....

HTH,
I've seen Tom's car in person, it's well maintained and very nice.

I just shipped my "new to me" 951 up from North Carolina. If you really want one, you won't limit yourself to just NY/NJ, and you will find a way to get it home.

Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

overall the 951 still is a better car...the RX7 is too twitchy of a handler..951 more forgiving....engine wise I love the rotaty but the apex seal goes out frequently along with other things...but it is fast and I do love the looks.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

RX-7s on track handle as well as a stock 951. With work they are every bit as good a car. Stock to stock the choice would be VERY difficult (if you have driven both), if you add in reliability then the edge goes to the 951 (scary, huh?).

That said a 3rd gen engine can be out and back in within a few hours including rebuild. They dont use unobtanium, unmoddifiable cylinder walls (or any cylinder at that) and they take nicely to upgrades.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:02 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Riff
How about this car????

Click Here

HTH,
That car looks great and it seems to have all maintenance done. It should be good for another 30K miles without needing any major attention.
You should really look into that one.

If you really want a 951 why not just buy a cheap beater and expand the search. I travelled 1200 miles for my car and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
There are a lot of cars out there. You may never find one that is perfect but you will find some that are very close.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

RX-7s on track handle as well as a stock 951. With work they are every bit as good a car. Stock to stock the choice would be VERY difficult (if you have driven both), if you add in reliability then the edge goes to the 951 (scary, huh?).
Matt H

As usual you are right Matt..and I love the 50/50 ballance the RX7 has..engine sits behind the front wheels!!!!!!however at high speeds they are very twitchy..especially in turns..I mean they grip but if they let go..they gooooo......not as confidence inspiring as the 951 and deffinitelly not as controllable...not sure why.....I know one thing..the rear trailing arm desing Porsche used is an awesome one...even these days!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Darius, a big problem with those cars is getting enough tire. CCW now makes a way to mount massivly wide tires on them which eliminates much of what you speak of.

The stock wheel/tire package is too small.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:56 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a BEAUTY here that I found not too far from my house.

1987 Deep Blue 951
Tan Interior
Sport Seats
ABS
Sport suspension
limited slip
NO DASH CRACKS!!!!
Very VERY good condition.. it makes my car look bad

The guy wants 9,000 obo. I already took it for a drive, it's very very nice.

Here's the VIN:
WP0AA2959HN153048

It's in coopersburg, PA, but unfortunately I don't have the number for the guy who's selling it yet. It's one hell of a car, jump on it quick man.

I'll post the number later tonight.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

aaaaahhhh you do know a lot Matt..I was surprised..few know about those problems.
the wide tire will solve that.......
by the way...I have 17 inch wheels with 255 in rears...on my last 88 951 non s I had 225's int he rear on dish wheels...allthough the 255 setup is better and etc I still loved the way narrow tires slide in slow speed sharp corners....the Viper has a similar problem ....too much tire..but of course nothing the gas peddal can't cure...same with the RX7 except not as controlled becouse of turbo......man I am amzed how well the 951 suspention and chassis was setup for back then.....
RX7 are awesome......but I think V994god should stay with us...hate to see cool people go..but..hey.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:57 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I forgot to mention.. The current owner takes very nice care of the car, he's got all records and drives it next to nothing. (It's exempt on emissions because he didn't put enough miles on it.)

84k on the clock
Old 07-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

PM v944god!!!

Quick Reply: Last call for a 951!