Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:38 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Default engine rebuild questions

so i'm trying to decide if i want to take on the major task of rebuilding my 944S engine myself (spun rod bearing), given that i am starting a medical practice and my time is going to be limited. i want to keep costs down by doing it myself, but problems i have are:

1. no major mechanical training, although using manuals and clarks garage, i do have the engine close to being out.
2. what resource do you guys suggest as a complete reference for rebuilding? haynes manual just won't do it. i need a step-by-step approach.
3. if i decided to ship the engine to an engine rebuilder instead, how do you ship? do you strap it to a pallet, or what?

i don't really want to scrap the car, since i already have so much money invested into the suspension (and an emotional investment in fixing other parts of the car). i thought about swapping engines for an S2, but with my limited mechanical knowledge, the necessary changes for an engine swap may keep this out of my league.

if you guys could provide some specific answers to those questions, it would help my decision making.
Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im rebuilding my 89 944 n/a at the moment...i have never had any major mechanical training but i have the willingness and major patience required to do it all...the important thing about it is keeping organized and LABEL LABEL LABEL!!! if you have the willingness to do it then go right ahead (also if you have another means of transporation because luckily for my summer job my mom works in the same building)...so far i have been just fine and rennlist and other friends have been more than helpful in answering my questions...as to resources...i have been using haynes manual (even though it sucks it still has a few good pics) and www.clarks-garage.com for the step by step instructions...good luck!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:21 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot why would you want to put your engine on a pallet... Dont you know a cardboard box is suitable... JK.

Either strap it to a pallet or build a crate, but my .02 is to do it yourself.

Mark

Quick Reply: engine rebuild questions