Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "Porsche Summer" continues: Pics of the new addition to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004 | 11:27 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Default My "Porsche Summer" continues: Pics of the new addition to the stable

As some of you know, I flew out to Denver a month ago and drove home a 1993 Amazon Green Metallic 968. When I got home, my dad was so taken by the car, I just had to sell it to him. He is now back into the Porsche fold, and is pampering it just the way I would have. Having gotten a taste of the 968, I found myself looking for another one at every turn. Even after I bought Ian's Turbo (picking her up soon), I still could not put another 968 out of my mind. So, I received a hot lead from a buddy recently about a 1992 Black 968 in Atlanta, some 250 miles away from my home. Heck, that was a hop, skip, and a jump compared to the 1300 mile hike home from Colorado.

Anyway, I called the guy about two weeks ago and talked to him about the car. He said that although he had no pictures of the car, I would not be disappointed if I drove all the way to see it. As I was about to leave for the 944Fest and vacation, I decided I would have to just wait and see if it was still available after I returned home. I also had almost decided that I would just let the 968 quest go, or at least put it on hold for a while, and enjoy the Porsche goodness I already owned. Also, I thought, who needs 4 Porsches? (Well, technically, I don't guess anyone "needs" a Porsche, but it surely is a "want" of epic proportions!)

So, during my vacation, I thought things over, and as much as I tried to ingore my craving for a 968, visions of them kept dancing around in my head. So, when I returned home, passion won out over reason, and I called the seller back on Friday to see if the car was still available. Due to the seller's lack of aggresive marketing (he had a "For Sale" sign in the window, nothing more), it was still available! To say the least, I was excited, as I had decided that I definitely wanted to go check it out if he still had it.

So, two buddies of mine (father and son Porsche fanatics) jumped into my S2 and headed to Atlanta. (My father wanted to go, but he was too busy.) After perusing the extensive records the seller had told me about previously, and after my buddy and I each took a test drive, I made him an offer, he countered, and I said, "You've got a deal," and shook his hand. We signed the papers, he counted the money, and we were off to a gas station, for the tank was on Empty.... The guy certainly had not skimped on maintaining the car, however. After perusing the records, I realized that he had spent $12,700 over the past four years in (preventive) maintenance. I think the high-end shop at which he had it serviced overcharged him at times, but I am elated that so many big-ticket repairs (including clutch and pinion bearing) have been done recently.

The only thing I can complain about concerning the experience is that he sold it to me with a bad battery. I relay this humorous story. I drove it down the road two miles in order to fill the tank. After taking some pictures of the car and the huge grin of elation on my face, I attempted to crank the car. Not happening.... Okay, so my first thought is: I've been had! I tried again, and it did nothing... Phew. I have a picture of my face at the point at which this occured. It is a look of, "You're kidding me." I didn't get angry, just kind of laughed it off and hoped for the best: a dead battery. Thankfully, only 2 buildings down was an Advance Auto Parts store. They kindly let me borrow their booster, and voila!, it started!
I drove it for an hour, stopped to eat for an hour, and it cranked right up afterwards. I was thinking, okay, the battery just needed a charge after sitting for a while. Great! That's what I get for assuming... when we stopped for a stretching break, I turned off the engine. Whooops.... Luckily, one of the workers at a Wendy's had some jumper cables. Interestingly, two gas stations did not. We jump started the 968 off of the S2, and were on our way. As you can imagine, I didn't kill the engine until the car was safely parked in my driveway! (I have since replaced the battery, and all is well. )

Okay, here are the vital stats:

1992 Black 968, 6-spd, 993 Cup 17" Wheels, Cashmere/Black Interior, 85K miles, 2 owners before me, Original Radio with 6-disc changer

My subjective ratings as to the condition of the car would be:

Interior-8.5/10
Exterior-8.5/10
Mechanicals-10/10
Electrical/Electronic componentry-10/10

Positives:
Everything works!
No dash cracks!
$12,700 of receipts from past 4 years, including:
-New clutch (and pinion bearing)
-All new seals and gaskets
-New motor mounts
Overall condition
$70.00 front license plate thrown in
New shift boot and ****

Negatives:
Rock chips on the hood (His wife got behind a rock truck )
A place on where the PO tried to touch up the paint...
No floor mats
Radio buttons are worn in some places
A few scatches and two very minor dings randomly around the body

As to the negatives, I plan to have a body shop take care of those ASAP, and I think I am going to buy some new Porsche floor mats. Overall, I am very happy with this jet black beauty that kept me up nights thinking about whether or not she would be mine. The drive home did nothing but remove any doubts that I might have had. That six-speed gearbox has added yet another dimension to my Porsche, and more specifically, 944-line experience!
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:29 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Filling up at shell, before I knew the battery was dead...
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:30 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

The 968 and S2 at a rest stop
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:32 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Another shot of the 968 at the rest stop
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:33 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

One more from the rest stop
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:36 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

to lazy to read.........are you saying you bought another?!?!?!
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:41 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

WOW!! Nice!!
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:43 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

this not my place to ask, but what do you do for a living? all of a sudden i feel a need to do whatever you do congratulations!!!
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:45 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

we don't like your kind round here!

(you make us too jealous!)

Congrats! enjoy em all!
~Eyal
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:54 PM
dave120
Drifting

Beautiful!
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:54 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Too funny Tim.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. We are all very very happy for you. I really enjoyed speaking with you at the Fest about our '89 951's.

To all that haven't had the opportunity to meet NeedPorscheSpeed, may I say that he is a true gentleman and quite the Porsche coinsurer!!!

Good for you buddy!!!

Take Care,
Cory
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:09 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jaibeiber
this not my place to ask, but what do you do for a living? all of a sudden i feel a need to do whatever you do congratulations!!!
As of this moment, I serve as a counselor/mentor/tutor for underprivileged kids, ages 16-21. I am employed by the Federal Govt. in a program that attempts to give downtrodden youths a second chance. I can only recommend this job if you can take heartbreak and and sob stories well. To be honest, it gets tough at times, and I'm considering pursuing a job in International Business. I have to say that while I consider myself blessed, and I thank the Lord every day for my blessings, I don't consider myself rich. I think my having these wonderful machines has more to do with my spending my money wisely and in a calculated manner than my income. I spend it wisely in other areas and then spend the rest of it on my greatest passion: Porsche! For as we all know, "nothing else even comes close."
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:11 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
To all that haven't had the opportunity to meet NeedPorscheSpeed, may I say that he is a true gentleman and quite the Porsche coinsurer!!!
You're too kind, Cory. I thorougly enjoyed talking to you, as well, and your 951S is beautiful! I hope all is well for you and yours up in Niles.
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:26 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Cars are beautiful, someday I'll have a collection like yours! hahaha Enjoy them bud!! Love the black on the 968!!
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:31 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

wow. nice.

Quick Reply: My "Porsche Summer" continues: Pics of the new addition to the stable