Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nor Cal Meet - Finalized

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nor Cal Meet - Finalized

Just to make things set in stone and to avoid further confusion, here are the details for the meet on Saturday, July 17th.

Meeting - 9:00AM at the 76 Station on the Bottom of Highway 9. Intersection - Big Basin Way and Saratoga-Sunnyvale. Take Hwy 85 to De Anza Blvd exit, heading towards Saratoga. Gas station will be on the right after about 4 miles. Departing at around 9:20-9:30

Route - Taking Hwy 9 all the way towards the Intersection with Hwy 17. Possibility of getting lunch in Santa Cruz for those who want, and access to 17 for those who need to head back. Numerous Vista Points that we can stop at along the way. I will be taking Hwy 9 to get back to Saratoga.

Bring a radio if you can.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:11 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing is Hwy-9 doesn't intersect with 17... well, I guess they all converge at one point in Santa Cruz (17, 9, hwy-1), near the Golf Club... anyone up for a quick 9 holes???
Old 07-11-2004, 01:54 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Originally posted by Danno
near the Golf Club... anyone up for a quick 9 holes???
That's sounds fun, Danno. Not sure yet if I can make it but I'll let everyone know.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Danno
Race Director

Let's also pick out a lunch location as well. That way, if we lose people along the way, we can all meet up for lunch. Or those starting late can bypass the run and take 17 straight to Santa Cruz and do Hwy-9 in reverse to find us.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so Danno, I'll drive up to your house, then we'll go up in your car?
anyone have a place for me to crash?
~Eyal
Old 07-12-2004, 03:01 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Somebody in Santa Cruz choose the location, I don't know the restaurants that well in that area.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
ckathens
Drifting

doh! Wish I could come guys. Just got the engine compartment back together and running, but I don't have seats in right now, nor do I have insurance. Next time!

Btw a great restaurant in Santa Cruz is called Falafal of Santa Cruz. The address is 1501 Mission St. (which eventually becomes highway 1). Its the best falafel in the bay area, with the possibly exception of falafel drive-in in San Jose.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Another good restaurant option is the Seabright Brewery on Seabright Ave. Two GTG's ago about 20 of us stopped there and all were good with the food.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, we could do that, I remember they made a hell of a sandwich.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by Bill
Another good restaurant option is the Seabright Brewery on Seabright Ave. Two GTG's ago about 20 of us stopped there and all were good with the food.
Bill is right. Seabright Brewery is a great choice, although parking can be a bit tight depending on the number of cars and time of day. There's on street parking as well as their parking lot, so everyone will be able to find a spot, but not likely together. That's only a problem if a group shot in a parking lot is desired. The menu is diverse: fish, grilled meats, sandwiches and great beer. And seats outside give decent view of local Santa Cruz weirdness.

An alternative that is right around the corner, with group parking and big window views out onto the harbor would be Rosa's; they are a Caribbean/Mexican restaurant with a great margerita and views over the yacht harbor. Plenty of parking. It's only 1/4 mile from Seabright.

And finally, right on the beach, just down the street from Rosa's, is the Crow's Nest. It commands a view over the harbor and Twin Lakes beach, and the harbor lighthouse. Crow's Nest's menu is a little more mainstream than either Seabright or Rosa's. They have a patio outside, above the beach that can be fun. Lots of beach go-ers on the sand on Satrurday to check out

The best part of all three lunch locations? They are within walking distance of the Cooper estates. If we need to take an air chisel to your qtr. panel or weld on a big steel ghetto wing, we'll be able to go into the workshop and start fabbing.

Quick personal note- My car is back together and running outstanding. Amazing what a new rebuilt head, rings, wrist pin bushings, oil pan gasket, head gasket, exhaust gaskets, tial wastegate and billet BOV can do for your ride... The short of this is- I'll be meeting you guys on the other side of the hill Saturday morning, with my 11 y.o. stepson Cooper in the passenger seat.

Old 07-12-2004, 02:40 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Sounds like fun. I'll definitely be there. I detoured off 92 East onto Skyline this weekend after coming back from Half Moon Bay and the drive was gorgeous. The twisty forest roads were just awesome. I really enjoyed them in my 175k mile Civic beater while the Porsche stayed home under the cover.

I'll second the Falafel place in Santa Cruz. Their Falafels are very good and cheap although it IS hard to beat Falafel Drive In on West San Carlos in San Jose. However I don't think everyone likes Falafels.

Efren, if you are reading this let's head out to the 76 Station together.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Default Re: Nor Cal Meet - Finalized

Originally posted by Dmitry S.

Bring a radio if you can.
Dmitry, are you using GMRS or FRS? Or were you planning on us all tuning in NPR's car talk at the same time?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:46 PM
oi-punx
Racer

I almost forgot...here's some pictures I took at one of the last meets. Let's get some better pics this time around.

Click Here
Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Is anyone else planning on joining?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Danno
Race Director

Steve, why don't you put up a notice at Benson's shop? He knows a cute lady with a maroon Boxster that might like to join us.. Katherine I think her name was...

Quick Reply: Nor Cal Meet - Finalized