Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempting transmission rebuild - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can leave the plastic sleeve in and let it come out with the trans. Have a friend push in the clutch while you index the driveshaft to get the bolts out easier.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

When you get the trans out see if you can turn the driveshaft back and forth with out pushing down the peddle. It would tell you the clutch hub is broken. With a broken hub the trans is alot louder.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:55 PM
rihaa
Racer

Ok, i think we are hung up on the shift linkage right now. Everything else but the plastic sleeve for the linkage and the linkage are clear from what we can tell. Any advice on how to move the linkage forward in the cabin to make it clear. The shop manual shows to try and wedge it in under the center console where all the noise insulation is. It says there should be almost 300mm of room up there for it. I am getting nowhere near that amount of play in it.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:10 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just pull the tranny from my parts car today.

OK... remove the entire shift lever. Pullout two 13mm head bolts. This will give you the space to turn the black shift rod so in points down then yank it forward. Should be enough space, but you DON'T need to pull it so far forward it is out of the bellhousing.

Then put a floor jack under the tranny. The placement is critical. You want it just aft of the lowest point. Basicly the flat area just behind this. This is the balance point. Once the jack support the tranny ensure all bolts are out. Lower jack very slowly and pull back. The tranny should drop and rotate so that plastic tube just drops away. You can then pull the tranny out on the jack.

HTH!

PS... Don't ask me what is in side the tranny.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dont do burnouts

my advice
Old 07-11-2004, 01:53 AM
rihaa
Racer

Got it out. Took the better part of the day. Will take pictures tomorrow and post them. Thank you to everyone who helped out, especially today during the project.

Also if there is a contest for dirtiest transmission housing on earth I think I won that.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:55 AM
rihaa
Racer

Having issues putting up the pictures. They are each about 600k so I can't upload them to rennlist to post them. Any advice on how to lower the quality ro something so that they will upload?

Anyways, for the debrief on it sans pictures:

We only hit a few snags throughout the day but a few of them took a hell of a lot of time. Oftentimes trying to figure out what the shop manual is talking about and what exactly they want you to do takes longer than actually doing it. We ran into this as we were trying to slide the sleeve connecting the driveshaft and input shaft the wrong direction. Other smaller issues, we almost stripped out the head of a CV bolt because we were using a 6 sided hex wrench as opposed to the 12 sided star style wrench. This took a trip to Kragans to buy new tools. Also had to go buy some big hex head sockets for the transmission housing bolts. Only other issue that kept us hung up a bit was how to get the shift linkage forward enough that we could drop the tranny.

All in all it probably took us close to 6 hours, but we had a lot of down time, in the future I can see it only taking about 2-3 if not less. So it was a learning experience, and putting it back together will take significantly less time. Will get picks up as soon as I get them, as well as those for the rest of the tranny rebuild.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:23 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Post your pictures on ofoto, then put links to the page here...

gb
Old 07-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, how many locating dowels do you have on the tranny/bellhousing?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

should have two, good question. This is how people brake mainshafts.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:37 AM
rihaa
Racer

There are 2 dowels. Got about 1/2 to 3/4" into the differential housing.

Got a fair amount of the thing apart today. So far I've found a few synchros that are worn, nothing major, but still going to be replaced. The ring and pinion seems to be lined up fine which is the problem I thought I was having.

Quick Reply: Attempting transmission rebuild - Advice?