Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible eBay scammer - but with a nice Dashboard!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004 | 07:45 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Default Possible eBay scammer - but with a nice Dashboard!

Argh i'm really torn here. I recently bid on a dashboard on ebay for my '83 944, but 1 day into the auction, the auction was taken down and I was told the bidder was kicked off ebay. Now I see the exact same auction up for a new bidder with ZERO feedback. I really want this item (look at the condition of that dash!!!) but don't want to get ripped off.. ANyone have any details on this guy??

My gut instinct says "run like hell away from this guy" but my pocketbook says "that's the best price you'll ever see on a early 944 dash in this condition".

Edit: It sure would help if I included the URL.

Ebay Auction
Old 07-09-2004 | 07:54 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Default Re: Possible eBay scammer - but with a nice Dashboard!

Originally posted by ckathens
My gut instinct says "run like hell away from this guy" but my pocketbook says "that's the best price you'll ever see on a early 944 dash in this condition".

Ebay Auction
Could also be the best price you'll ever see to be scammed...I wouldn't buy anything from anyone with zero feedback. I've heard too many bad things about ebay.
Old 07-09-2004 | 07:55 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Your first instinct is your best instinct.
Old 07-09-2004 | 09:30 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

That dash is cracked too - look closely at the pic by the center / driver's side defroster vent.
Old 07-09-2004 | 09:50 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

I live about 45 minutes south of him.....maybe if you guys won the auction I could pick it up. Make sure of his address first. I would need all of the contact info.
Old 07-09-2004 | 10:20 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Hey I test drove that car! There is a guy over at Pelican named Andrew that had it. He sold it a few days after I test drove it. Maybe you could contact him and find out who he sold it too? I reconize the electrical tape on the steering wheel, it had broke at some point and he welded it back together and used tape to cover it up.

The dash looked weird when I saw it, maybe that brown is a weird color or something but it looked painted to me......
HTH
Old 07-09-2004 | 10:37 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally posted by Jason_86_951
Hey I test drove that car! There is a guy over at Pelican named Andrew that had it. He sold it a few days after I test drove it. Maybe you could contact him and find out who he sold it too? I reconize the electrical tape on the steering wheel, it had broke at some point and he welded it back together and used tape to cover it up.

The dash looked weird when I saw it, maybe that brown is a weird color or something but it looked painted to me......
HTH
Haha that's very funny. I contacted the seller and asked him what was up with his new account. He told me that he was previously an ebay power seller but that his account is currently under suspension because he had an "invalid phone number" registered for the account. According to the seller, he had just moved and hadn't changed the phone # yet. I'm going to contact ebay and ask them about it, but it looks like this guy might actually be legit.

As for the color of the dash, that is a stock color. In fact, unfortunately, it is the stock color in my '83 944. The couple of small cracks i see in it are NOTHING compared to the ones in mine, and i must say it still is the best condition early-style 944 dash i have ever seen. Thanks for the feedback guys, I just hope I can make this go through. The guy has tons of other 944 parts as well, but nothing i particularly want.

Am I right in thinking that the 924S was made up until 1988 and still used the old style dash? I'm thinking maybe I should try to find someone parting a 924S from like '87 or '88 if that is the case.
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:01 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Why the heck would you go through the hell of removing a cracked dash to replace it with. . . another cracked dash?

Granted that one is decent looking, but you can bet if it's cracking now, it will have more in it within a year. Just save up and get yours professionally done or if you want to do it the cheap way, get one of those covers (not the carpet ones, the plastic ones) on it. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:03 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Yeah, I have one of those plastic dash covers. It was about $70 and I think it looks reall good. Most everyone I've shown it to has thought it was the dash, and not a cover.
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:42 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recognize this auction, and the seller. His previous ebay name was mikri184, power seller, last feedback rating of 1355 at 99.6% positive. How do I know this you ask? I have him in my ebay favorites sellers folder, I've purchased from him before (don't remember just what right off hand), and I've seen a lot of his auctions on ebay. IMO, I don't think you have to worry about with this fella...........but..........thats still your call to make.

Now, if you were asking about a seller named "yourfriend411" , than I would strongly advise......PROCEED WITH UTMOST CAUTION! ....... IF AT ALL. Time will tell...... for me......... real soon.
Old 07-10-2004 | 03:16 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Thanks for the note Ken.

Unfortunately porsche-o-file has a good point, in that there really is no reason for me to go through all that trouble if it isn't THAT much better. I have a black plastic dash cover, but its a bit cracked on the sides.... I guess its better than trying to buy a new dash.
Old 07-10-2004 | 03:44 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Granite 944
I recognize this auction, and the seller. His previous ebay name was mikri184, power seller, last feedback rating of 1355 at 99.6% positive. How do I know this you ask? I have him in my ebay favorites sellers folder, I've purchased from him before (don't remember just what right off hand), and I've seen a lot of his auctions on ebay. IMO, I don't think you have to worry about with this fella...........but..........thats still your call to make.
I've actually been to Mikri's warehouse in Bellingham to pick up parts. He is straight up and a decent guy - had about 10 944's of various ages that he was parting out. I have met him, bought parts from him, heck he even gave me stuff that I needed and left it in his mailbox for me to pick up!

With 1355 @ 99.6%, there is no need to worry if it really is Michael. I would not hesitate to buy from him anytime.
Old 07-10-2004 | 04:48 PM
mikri184
2nd Gear

Well Hi Guys Randy_J Said you were discussing me here, and suggested I add my input. First of all let me say That Ebay has mne bent over at the moment, And even though I have started another account, I really want the MIKRI184 account back up and running. My business based on the 924/944 models. I own, drive, and race both models. I love the cars. And like most of you know it isn't cheap sometimes to get good parts at an afordable price which is the motivation behind what I do. I have sold to many people and have well over 500 current repeat customers that come to me first for thier cars. From all over the world. What has happened with Ebay is just stupid. I moved and didn't update my phone number and when I gave them my new number they said it was disconnected which is funny, Because it is my cell and is always with me, and anyone who has purchased from me would have that number as it is included with my invoices. What ever the outcome of this. I am going to be around doing this for along time. I have never ripped anyone off even though sometimes shipping gets behind I do get everyone the parts they need and want. I know the new account wiht zero feedback is alittle scary but once people start buying from me again, that will change real fast. I made it to 1000 feedback, before I recieved my first negative and that is no easy task. I will do it again as I want everyone to be happy to do business with me. I have met many of my customers throughout the country, and canada. And have become good friends with many of them. Your call on wether or not you want to trust me or not, but you and your cars best interest are at the forfront of what I do.
Now for that dash yes there are a couple of small cracks as detailed in the pictures and the discription. But even at that if you have seen as many dashes as I have this one is pretty nice in comparison. Now for some really good news that may intest many of you. I have currently finished a mold for doing fiberglass dashes for the early 944 and 924 series. I hope to pull the first one this week and start the rigurous testing to insure that I have a quality product to sell. after this is up and going fenders and spoilers are next. The people i have inlisted for this part of my business have many years in the fiberglass business and I am confident that we will have very nice products, And our prices will be better than the rest of the people doing these parts, but hey no one does early dashes now do they
Well this has gotten long sorry about that. Hope to do business with you all in the future. And thanks to you have had the nice things to say.
By the way that wasn't andy's car this one is different. Andy's car is scrap now
Old 07-10-2004 | 05:11 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 07-10-2004 | 05:38 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can also verify that mikri184 is a straight up seller...IIRC, I purchased a set of the 951 rear valance last year...transaction went really well.

Quick Reply: Possible eBay scammer - but with a nice Dashboard!