Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a "new" S2 for FREE - thanks RENNLIST!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004 | 12:01 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Default I got a "new" S2 for FREE - thanks RENNLIST!

I refurbished the AFM this weekend and it's like I have a new car. There is power EVERYWHERE - ALL the time!

It's amazing and a little sad that I waited several months to solve this simple problem.

The good news is I fixed the power LAST!

First, I did the suspension - upgraded tired, soft OEM struts to Koni yellows all around. Then she handled.

Next - brakes, after a couple of tries myself - GTi Tuning (local P-car specelist) stripped all four calipers down - got the backing plates off and replaced all seals, 4 rotors, pads and fluid. Then she stopped.

Finally - I fixed the AFM - now she goes too!

Amazing - and this is a car with 270k kms on it. Sure, it burns a little oil - but now you stand on the loud pedal and she gathers herself up and hauls ***.

Thanks to Rennlist for the AFM refurb info and the tips on using the right sealant etc. Everythign worked like a charm and took only a hour.

If YOUR car is higher milage and no longer hauling *** (or does so only once in a while like mine would) do the AFM - you will be amazed!

FWIW - I didn't really ever have a hesitation or stumble - just a consistant lack of grunt that I though should be there for a 211HP car - esp. one that is praised for it's mid-range torque.

RK
Old 07-06-2004 | 12:04 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds like I have project for this weekend.
Old 07-06-2004 | 12:04 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hey i know how you feel!

For EIGHT MONTHS since i got the car, i had not even a porsche AFM in my car and did'nt know. Couldn't figure why i could never give full throttle over 3000rpm without it completely cutting out. Fooled with everything... Still never found it. Replaced all filters and everything, still no go. Replaced afm from shutemup a month ago.. now it runs right and exhaust doesnt smell awful!

Great feeling, congrats!
Old 07-06-2004 | 01:21 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by yieldsign2
Hey i know how you feel!

For EIGHT MONTHS since i got the car, i had not even a porsche AFM in my car and did'nt know.
Great feeling, congrats!
Yeah, me too, I had a BMW AFM in there.. I will probably put it back. I only swapped it to attemp a smog cirtif.

I noticed a big change when I was using fresh material on the AFM wiper.

Was there a procedure posted that differs from FR_Wilks stuff ???

Also, what sealant should be used, I just used what I could find.
Old 07-06-2004 | 03:08 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you do anything to the Afm besides raising or lowering the arm?

I didn't get any improvement doing that to 2 of them.
Old 07-06-2004 | 04:27 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

hi, my s2 cab afm is really bad, sometimes now, i cant even start the car, and when it does it hesitates.
please advise me how you did it, or where you took it, i will apreciate it
thanks
Old 07-06-2004 | 03:41 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Here are the links that helped. Also - there was a tip to use "non-corrosive" or "sensor safe" sealant. Most automotive silicone sealants will harm the O2 sensor - and maybe the sensors IN the AFM - since there is an ambient temp sensor in there.

I used Permatex "ultra-black" - I think. Was deemed sensor safe and non-corrosive.

http://frwilk.com/944dme/afm.htm

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/af-01.htm

Of course - YMMV - but odds are good it will make a big difference.

One thing I did notice - the AFM is SMALLER than the photos lead me to believe.

Lastly - as always - do a search on "AFM" to review the mulitple threads about this repair.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

RK

Quick Reply: I got a "new" S2 for FREE - thanks RENNLIST!