Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter + Alternator questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:19 AM
heybiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter + Alternator questions

OK, I asked this questions a week ro so ago and got no responses from the 951 board, so I'll ask here. I have spent the last week searching through the boards and while I have gotten some good info, I'm obviously still stuck.

Quck recap:
Put car back together last week. Dropped in battery starter whines. Switched cables on soleniod, jump started it, and car starts right up. Take it around the block, all is fine. Unattach PO's aftermarket alarm, and repeat trip around block. I notice the volts are sitting around 10, '!' light is on. Check plugs, wires, check for fluid leaks, go around block again.

On fourth attemp to start no go. Just click. Fuel pump noise, noise from under glove box, and click. Disconnect battery, sandpaper battery ends, power cables on starter, posts on solenoid, reattach, same thing. Bought battery charger, fully charge battery, same thing. Completely remove PO alarm, check fuses, try again, just clicks, and a weird hum I think is coming from under the golvebox.

I've checked the white connector behind the brake booster, it looks like it's never seen the light of day. Made sure it was firmly attached anyway. REcleaned the solenoid connections again. Checked grounds they look pretty good, unlike what poeple describe. I bought a cable to supplement until I can afford IceShark's kit. Where should I attach it to?

I pulled the cluster, but forgot to check the buld to see if it's burned out. Will do that in a few minutes. I am confused about how the buld would prevent the alternator form working though. If someone oculd explain that more I'd appreciate it.

Questions:

What to try now? How many connections exactly should be on the starter solenoid and where do they go? Is it possible I fryed something in my previous attempts to start? And if so, what to check? Humming sound from glovebox (not bees, I checked)?

Help?
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2004, 12:23 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Both cables should be connected to ONE of the big posts of the solenoid.

The other big post should have the braided cable that connects to the starter motor itself.

Make sure you disconnect the negative on the battery before you fix this!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:06 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default THANK YOU!

Thanks,

That one thing is something I've been searching for and couldn't find. All the allsuions to the solenoid that were accompanied by pics are so old the pics are gone. I'll swap them and give an update.

I assume this would also keep the alternator from functioning as well?

heybiff
Old 07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

This won't effect the functionality...

But the solenoid could be rotated clockwise (with respect to the starter) by two screw hole positions to help with the cable routing (put less tension on the cables). The small screw post should face towards the top. Then the cable between the starter and the large post (which will be in the 4 o'clock position) will be a lot simpler.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:56 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your picture, the wire on the bigger post is from the battery. The wire on the smaller post is from the alternator. That wire (from the alternator) should be on the bigger post together with the battery wire. Now what I don't know is how the connections as you have them are affecting your running problems. Did the car ever run correctly?
Old 07-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

The circuit for excitor wire on your alternator runs through the bulb and through the factory alarm module.

(I replaced a perfectly good alternator after unhooking the alarm module just to prove it)
Old 07-06-2004, 04:05 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default Yes

The current arrangement is me not taking note of how the cables were when I removed the starter. But yes it did run for about three blocks as is.

I hope to run out of work early todfay, and put things right. We'll see what's what after that.

Heybiff

Quick Reply: Starter + Alternator questions