Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket that blows my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:37 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't legally transmit on the same frequecies as the speed radar. Guess you could put one of the motion sensors that the stores use on the from of your car. Excuse is that it is for detecting kids in the driveway.

Nothing on the FCC books to keep you from putting the LED's in the windows.

As to the spining thing; trying to remember the details on a passive tuned reflector for the radar frequencies that would send a strong returning but distorted signal. Have to figure out where I heard this one from.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:54 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Laser only works stationary. If you were hit by a moving cop, its radar. Radar is affected by weather, as well as angle that it's sent at. The higher the angle, the higher the inaccuracy. Laser is very accurate, but it's still affected by angle and weather. Laser jammers work very well in the city. I've seen some that jam, beep like mad, and deactivate a few seconds after the user hits the brakes to avoid getting caught with a jammer. Since range varies on different cars as to when the laser gun reports a speed, it's very easy to get away using such a sophisticated system.

For me, I just drive slow where I know there's a speed trap .
Old 07-05-2004, 09:25 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

OK. Just got off the phone with The Professor. 90 degree 1/4 wave reflectors mounted on a speaker driven at the proper frequency to reflect a much higher speed to the radar gun. May be better to use a piezo electric transducer.

As to lasers: You want to strip the reflective paint off of your license plate and repaint it with non reflective paint.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:55 PM
atinybug
Racer

actually one thing i do is never be the fastest person on the road. interstate speeds around here (if u live around here u'd know) are commonly 20 mph over speed limit, and there's usually a few cars going 25-30 over, so i just follow them... it usually works for me
Old 07-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by atinybug
actually one thing i do is never be the fastest person on the road. interstate speeds around here (if u live around here u'd know) are commonly 20 mph over speed limit, and there's usually a few cars going 25-30 over, so i just follow them... it usually works for me
Good advice. Unless there is a long straigth that i can see in full, I generally stay a few mph slower than the fastest person near me.

Although, this doesn't save you everytime, as my mom got pulled over by a cop on foot the other day, who was flagging people off the road, and said he radar'd the person next to my mom at 52 and he was along side my mom so we were going "the same speed" or so he said.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:02 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rage2
Laser jammers work very well in the city. I've seen some that jam, beep like mad, and deactivate a few seconds after the user hits the brakes to avoid getting caught with a jammer. Since range varies on different cars as to when the laser gun reports a speed, it's very easy to get away using such a sophisticated system.
thats what i just bought in a group buy on an M5 list (they were nice enough to let some non-bmw'ers in on it) the new lidatek le-30 - which replaces the le-20. i do not have it installed yet but hopefully soon. so far, the reviews by other who bought the unit have been very impressive.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by washington951
so far, the reviews by other who bought the unit have been very impressive.
I don't know about laser jammers. Have there been any reviews of them in magazines?

I do know that guys who bought "radar jammers" years ago often swore they worked miracles, when they actually didn't work at all.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:39 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
[

14 States have "Official Tolerance" limits, some as high as 15 mph.
Wow thats alot, I dont think NYS state has them.....Interestuing stuff.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

That whole standing out there pointing at people to pull over thing I have seen them do on the innerstate here......

The cops are crazy doin that, some dude got drug 20 miles after being hit changing his tire along side the innerstate not long ago.

Stand in the road and point at me then the shoulder.....I'm not pullin over till I see blue lights in the mirror, what conna charge me with ignoing the finger point?????

Sorry, didn't see you officer
Old 07-06-2004, 02:20 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Got stopped at a check point. Police officer looked in, saw me without my seat belt on and stated, "Checking for seat belts." I repled, "I just took mine off." He said "Have a nice day." Somebody likes me!!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 476 Posts

Wow Lucky you!!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:38 AM
rlyon
8th Gear

Im too young to drive and I've already had some scary experiences with the 5-0. Id have to say the dumbest ever, was when my friend and I decided to take his moms BMW 745il out for a spin. Neither of us had a license. Well my friend is more reckless then most, and we find ourselves doing 140 in a 65mph zone. Is it true that if you're going double the limit its an arrestable felony? Well anyhow, I'm frozen looking out the back window, scared sh1tless and having the time of my life, when I see moto-cop and a SMC sheriff. The sheriff put on his sirens and Im about ready to **** myself, but he speeds away (we're doing about 95 now and slowing.) The motorcycle cop pulls along side us looks in the window and then slows and takes the offramp. Both the cops are gone, but we pull over to relax. (I realize this is another bad idea.) We turned around and went home going about 63. It was the most terrifying experience. His mom was a b*tch and would have charged for auto theft. I have no clue why I didnt get pulled over. I hardly believe it myself.. they musta had a really important call. Moral of the story.. I'm 14.. I worked my @ss off to buy the 944 in my driveway, there is no way in hell that im not getting my license at 16. Im obeying the law.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:00 AM
atinybug
Racer

depending on what state ur in, i think 35 over speed limit is considered reckless driving
Old 07-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rlyon
I'm 14.. I worked my @ss off to buy the 944 in my driveway, there is no way in hell that im not getting my license at 16. Im obeying the law.

Just thought I'd share.
[/QUOTE

Wheres campeck!? he likes to bend the rules.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:34 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Predator it is pretty basic math until you start throwing real life variables into it. You have to know the exact speed of the vehicle that the radar is mounted in and then take the speed of the vehicle relative to your speed and of course take into account what happens to the radar or laser as it travels through the air and then the angle of incidence with the reflected point. Sounds really simple but in practice it is a lot harder than your 7th grade math book makes it look.

Everyone else thank you very much for the information. One of my co-workers pointed out some laws in the Virginia book that require the officer to show me the reading and some other things so I think I might be able to get out on a loop hole. Unfortunately most of your are right, the Judge will be smiling at me since the townies here hate the students and as soon as he sees the docket(sp?) with my parents address on it he'll pretty much have me figured for guilty. This is all inspite of the fact that I live in the city here and I own a house here. Well back to the books.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket that blows my mind