Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket that blows my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004 | 04:07 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

The Judge is going to be smiling at you, and even the stenographer is going to laugh at your ***. Send in the money, sport.
First off you're wrong. I got a ticket for totally blowing a stop sign and I got it reduced to a non-moving parking violation. This can all be accomplished if one uses alittle something called people skills.

Second off, that's a bad idea. Do you know how much insurance costs for people my age? Especially with Porsches? He has a chance to get it reduced, so don't misguide him. It saved me. You should be alittle nicer too. I'm not a religious man but the whole Jesus Christ is a bit over the top.

Radar is easy to jam by the way. I'm a 6 year ham radio operator and I could build a radar jammer for about 100 dollars using all new parts. Radar uses several different frequency ranges, some frequencies much like those of microwave ovens (2.4 GHz). A 1-watt transmitter with a unity gain antenna would yield cop radar useless within at least a 1/4 mile of your car. They would never get a reading on you, thats for sure. You know what? I might build one now just for humor. It would be funny to be see a Civic or something all riced up with those obnoxious underbody lights and multicoloured panels just slam its brakes on because you flipped on your jammer set off their detector. If you get caught with a jammer just say you were doing environmental testing. Hehehe.

Laser, no hope. I don't even see how modern detectors can detect laser. It's a concentrated beam that rarely spashes enough, and typically the frequency of the laser is also given off by things including, but not limited to, the sun Most cops don't use lasers anyways. "Laser" alot of times refers to infared, as was mentioned earlier on this thread. The county sheriff department locally sold their higher tech equipment (a laser system) to another city and bought some older radar equipment, simply because they needed more cruisers. The cop I talked to about it thought it was funny to watch people with detectors slam on their brakes anyways. hehe
Old 07-04-2004 | 05:17 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

You should be alittle nicer too. I'm not a religious man but the whole Jesus Christ is a bit over the top"
swagger93

Thou shalt not take the Lords name in vain heh...it is one of the comandments........
Old 07-04-2004 | 05:35 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Swagger93
If you get caught with a jammer just say you were doing environmental testing.
A ham should know better! How many violations are involved in that one? There's no way anyone would believe that excuse and a lisenced ham couldn't claim he didn't know any better when he built a transmiter for the sole purpose of interfering with a frequency used by a government agency!
Old 07-04-2004 | 07:39 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Lasers can be jammed. You have to put a high powered LED in each corner of the windshield on the same wave length of the laser. This will over power most laser reflections.
Old 07-05-2004 | 12:05 AM
Matt H
Race Director

The Police have high tech and very well calibrated instrumentation to detect speed.

Actually, they have pretty basic equipment that isnt calibrated near often enough, but it is mostly irrelevant because they arent writing tickets for 47 in a 45. Generally even if it was miscalibrated you are doing 15 over or more so they assume you were still speeding, regardless.

Remember their is no legal reason for speeding - Not even emergency's

This varies WILDLY by state. In Texas speed limits are not absolute. I.e. there ARE reasons for speeding. Among them are: emergency, overtaking, etc. There is a list on the internet detailing by state the nature of the speed limit.

You can argue the accuracy all day long 20 over is going to net you a ticket (as well it probably should, esp in a 35). That said Serge makes a good point, if you have a good driving record you can often get the ticket reduced. OR you could always do a drivers school and have it expunged.
Old 07-05-2004 | 12:53 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Cyrus951
Hmm...that's a good excuse.

Since we're on the subject, can some of you guys post your excuses you used to get you only a warning?
I've heard cleavage works pretty well but since I don't have any I'm not real sure.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:42 AM
Dave
Race Car

It's never helped me much!
Old 07-05-2004 | 02:17 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

lol
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:29 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Crying and showing some leg always seemed to work on me...That is for females....Sorry guy, you'd be out of luck!! LOL

Believe it or not, Being sincere, honest and apologetic can make you or break you..Like I said already we recorded your responses to why (so admitting can break your defence later, but many times I'd let the person go on a warning because of their respect/attitude for me and the law.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:44 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I don't believe jammers work. If they did, the reputable detector companies would be selling them.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:52 PM
atinybug
Racer

they're not selling them because they're illegal
Old 07-05-2004 | 02:21 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by KenC

Believe it or not, Being sincere, honest and apologetic can make you or break you..Like I said already we recorded your responses to why (so admitting can break your defence later, but many times I'd let the person go on a warning because of their respect/attitude for me and the law.
Best advice so far.

Matt H.-maybe that goes in Texas, but then again it is Texas....

NYS uses some decent equipment/ and there is no reason for speeding as per NYS law the only people who can disregard traffic devices and traffic laws are the police. Firetrucks and ambulances have to technically stop for red lights.
Old 07-05-2004 | 03:40 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I've heard cleavage works pretty well but since I don't have any I'm not real sure.

I have seen Pete and he does have some cleavage, none that anyone would WANT to see though :>)

Matt H.-maybe that goes in Texas, but then again it is Texas....

14 States have "Official Tolerance" limits, some as high as 15 mph.
Old 07-05-2004 | 03:56 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

This one isn't a whole lot of use to us because we have nowhere to mount it, but if you have a Suby or something similar with a TMIC ...

Make up a rod as long as possible that will fit and spin inside whatever you're putting it inside. Mount a corner reflector on each tip, and attach it to a motor (the faster the better). The theory is (especially with a fiberglass or heavily sloped / curved car) that the radar will get as strong a return from your spinning reflector as it will from the car. This will give the cop 3 readings - yoru car, the retreating blade, and the advancing blade, hopefully offset by enough to screw up the system and stop him getting a consistent enough reading. I've never tried it, but the theory seems sound.

IIRC, detectors are also illegal in California.
Old 07-05-2004 | 04:03 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by atinybug
they're not selling them because they're illegal
But why would they be illegal if they don't work?

Seriously, they don't work. At all. Not the little boxes they sell for one or two hundred bucks anyway.

If they did work you wouldn't be able to buy them, right?

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket that blows my mind