Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used GUMOUT, sprung a fuel leak...connection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
jenket944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used GUMOUT, sprung a fuel leak...connection?

OK, so I put some GUMOUT in the tank because I haven't found a Chevron close to my place. The SAME DAY I notice a strong fuel odor...I'm thinking, damn that stuff is strong. Well, maybe....but it doesn't explain the puddle of fuel under the car. Hmmmmm

I start it up and fuel is dripping pretty fast (almost a steady stream) from around the fuel filter. Plus there's a mist jetting out from the same area - can we say NOT GOOD? I jack the rear up, crawl under there and I notice fuel seeping from the rubber hose downstream of the filter. The hose is part no. 282 08 00 1 4 88.

Not sure if there's a connection between the GUMOUT and the leak, but figured I'd throw this out there for conspiracy theories. Now that I think about it, she's occasionally been giving me issues during startup for a week or two. Almost like fuel pressure was low...think it was only when trying to start on an incline with the front of the car elevated. Makes sense to me.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know how strong Gumout is, but if there is any connection between that and your fuel leak, then youre fuel leak was gonna happen anyway. There was probally a problem just waiting to happen and gumout might have been the last step. I dunno just my thoughts on it.

When i had a fuel leak, it was on the fuel line that goes from the gas tank to the fuel rail. I didnt bother buying porsches $8000 dollar impossible to find replacement hose. Instead, i went to autozone, had the guy clip me 2 feet of 50psi fuel hose made by goodyear, and just clamped that on with a heater hose on top. I dont know if this is a good method, but it has worked fine for me ever since.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:16 PM
jenket944
Pro

I'm fairly sure I was seeing the initial signs of the fuel leak before I put in the GUMOUT. But regardless, I've got a replacement hose on the way from 944online for 30 bucks. Not too bad, but I don't know what Paragon wouldn've charged. But with 944online I might get it tomorrow and speed was more important for me.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you check the fittings and if the fuel filter was tight? Mine was leaking in the same area when I bought the car because fuel filter had became loose. Apparently the dipsh*t that owned the car before took it to some joe-blow shop that never tightened the fuel filtter up right.

Andy
Old 07-01-2004, 06:56 PM
jenket944
Pro

Fuel filter is good and tight. Changed it myself last year. The hose is visibly seeping fuel at the downstream connection, where the metal crimps on the rubber hose, not the actual threaded connection, otherwise I'd just tighten that. Guess I'll find out for sure when I replace the hose.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

sounds like the clamps have cut into the hose. It's definitely time to replace it.

Andy
Old 07-06-2004, 11:09 PM
jenket944
Pro

It's fixed! Turned out the rubber hose downstream of the fuel filter was dry-rotted all to hell...including a slit down the entire length of the hose. Got a new hose Saturday morning and had it installed in time to drive up for the the Pepsi 400. Yeah, it's NASCAR but it's still racing (or some form thereof) and I'm a sucker for night racing at Daytona.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:10 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Did you use Gumout often? My understanding is that fuel injection cleaners like Gumout are made with solvents that over time dissolve the softer components in the gas line and can cause leaks while fuel injection cleaners made by Redline are made with detergents that don't dissolve rubber, etc. Detergents are more expensive so most companies use solvents. Redline fuel system cleaner is only $5 though and that seems to me to be the best one to use.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
quat2nv
Instructor

ill agree with fishman on the redline, about a week ago i started to notice some hesitation under power when the car was still heating up, put a bottle of redline in and now its gone. also, those of you at 944 fest 03, remember that big grey cloud on the highway run... i think that was redline dispensing of some carbon in my motor.

quat2nv
-1986 944na
Old 07-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by quat2nv
ill agree with fishman on the redline, about a week ago i started to notice some hesitation under power when the car was still heating up, put a bottle of redline in and now its gone. also, those of you at 944 fest 03, remember that big grey cloud on the highway run... i think that was redline dispensing of some carbon in my motor.

quat2nv
-1986 944na
All at once? I doubt it, or are you joking?

More mechanic-in-a-can imo.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:08 AM
quat2nv
Instructor

im only half joking, i dont know why i puffed that smoke at 944fest03, but i have had good luck with redline and it really did seem to have an effect on my problem with the motor hesitating when cold, i know theres no such thing as mechanic in a can, but friends who have used it have had good luck with it also, so for $5.99, i cant see it as anything but good. i actually recorded better mileage after using it last time. Put some in your car and tell me how it turns out!

PS, i promise, i dont work for redline or any of its affiliates.

Quick Reply: Used GUMOUT, sprung a fuel leak...connection?