Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the waves and stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004 | 09:34 PM
Dave
Race Car

Default What's with all the waves and stuff?

I guess it's a good sign!
First, about a week ago I'm filling the tank and there's an elderly woman facing toward me on the next pump, she was parked "a little funny" so it was all I could do to get to the pump. As she was leaving the attendant tried to guide her out but I could see she was nervous, when she got next to my front end she rolled down her window and said (as I'm expecting a comment about not leaving more room) "What a beautiful machine! What is it?" I was a little suprised and even stoped to check for sarcasm, but I think she was sincere. My car was way overdue for a wash and wax. i told her it is a Porsche and she repeated "it's beautiful" and added "enjoy it." Kinda made my day!
The next day I'm headed home from work and while sitting at a light I notice the guy next to me is trying to get my attention.
Him, "They sure don't make 'em like that anymore...what year is that?"
Me, "They sure don't, it's an '86."
Him, "Wow, it's in great shape!" (as light turns green) "Enjoy the drive."
I waved as I took off, he made my day too!
Since then I've been getting more waves from other Porsche owners than ever before. I rarely get a wave from a 911 driver but I got a wave from a Carrera on my way to work today and a honk from an oncoming SC or Carrera (went by too fast to be sure) on my way home. The only wave I've given today that wasn't returned was the yellow 914 on rt 24 this afternoon but I don't think he even saw me.
I hope this is a trend that's going to last
Old 06-30-2004 | 09:50 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Is it that you're spending more time commuting now, getting more drive time to be noticed?
Old 06-30-2004 | 09:51 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

It's summer - the weekend warriors are out!
Old 06-30-2004 | 09:51 PM
atinybug
Racer

i gave a thumbs up to some guy in a red 951 today while i was driving my friend's integra, he looked at me funny... heh
Old 06-30-2004 | 10:28 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wonder if red 944's get noticed by otherwise oblivious 911 owners? Maybe my white car blends into all the other light colored small cars around--thus getting me zero recognition?

Must be the Fuchs, eh Dave??
Old 06-30-2004 | 10:29 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Thats me standing there waving to you standing next to parts of my car as you drive away.
Old 06-30-2004 | 10:31 PM
951Badger
Racer

A few weeks ago I got a wave from a 996 Turbo. Yes really. I was stunned but it felt really good.
Old 06-30-2004 | 10:32 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

I was getting my oil changed earlier this week and a woman gets out of her Toyota with three teenagers in tow. The oil guys were asking me some ?s about my car and I could tell "mom" was eavesdropping. She finally walked up and said, "that's a cute car. What is it?" I told her it was a Porsche and she went, "Oh, really," like she was disappointed. I took the disappointment to mean "I'll never be able to afford that." I didn't disabuse her of the notion that it's an expensive car
Old 06-30-2004 | 11:03 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by MichelleJD
I was getting my oil changed earlier this week and a woman gets out of her Toyota with three teenagers in tow. The oil guys were asking me some ?s about my car and I could tell "mom" was eavesdropping. She finally walked up and said, "that's a cute car. What is it?" I told her it was a Porsche and she went, "Oh, really," like she was disappointed. I took the disappointment to mean "I'll never be able to afford that." I didn't disabuse her of the notion that it's an expensive car
Ack! She called it a cute car!!!

Run for the hills guys, the 944s are now girl cars!!!

Just kidding everyone...

My car gets noticed a little bit - I think the darker color keeps it in the background.
Old 06-30-2004 | 11:28 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I had an India - oh, 'scuse me - GUARDS red 944 with fuchs for a short time. The first time I sat at a light in it, I heard voices in the car next to me: "Oooh . . . that's a NINE-e-LE-von CARRERA!"

The white car (and previous black 83) seem to go unnoticed.

My esprit is bright red, and a nearby friend has an identical esprit in white, and when we would go on drives together, everyone looked at mine and nobody saw his. Amazing what red does. . . .
Old 06-30-2004 | 11:40 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The S2 never got noticed until the paint and the wheels. Now people are breaking their necks to get a look at it. The real bad part is that every kid in mom's grocery getter wants to race. I had some dolt in a 4 door Kia pull up next to me and floor it. Well I think he floored it, it was hard to tell.

Oh Tony, don't worry about the white car. Back when I had it some guy at a gas station once asked me "Is that one of them new 911's?"
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:01 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

...come to think of it, ... a friend of a coworker once did ask me "what year is your 911" . . .
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:03 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Pete, I'm going to be a smart @$$ and link my signature to your picture page

...just kidding...
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:03 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by 944pete
...Well I think he floored it, it was hard to tell...
Hahahaha! That is too funny
Old 07-01-2004 | 12:22 AM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Damian in NJ
Is it that you're spending more time commuting now, getting more drive time to be noticed?
I was thinking that too, but the first 2 incidents were in Union and that last wave was in Summit. It used to seem like I got a wave back 10% of the time, now it's over 50%, It's gotta be more than the 70 miles/day I'm racking up on it (I gotta find a second vehicle SOON! There's a '95 Mazda B3000 in the works). 911s rarely waved in the past but that's changed too!
It could be the red, but I've had a white car that turned it's share of heads and as mentioned above, my car is overdue for a wash and wax so it's not like it's even a little shiney!
I think the flash/wave/honk is making a comeback. At least, I hope so. As long as they're not trying to tell me about a trail of oil or coolant, a wave is "a good thing."

Quick Reply: What's with all the waves and stuff?