Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie, introducing myself and my ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Dalilean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie, introducing myself and my ride

Hi,
I own a 1983 944, champaine, withbrown interiors, in pretty bad shape, but how I got it is a story on it's own.

I used to own a 1980 TR7 Triumph. After several bad running with the carburators, I had almost given up on "older" cars. By chance, my father had aquired this junked out porsche.

The cars original owner keeped it in mint conditions till it was carjacked from him. The theives used it for a joyride, dismanteled the stereo and left it. After the police recoved the car, the owner lost his love for it and stoped using it, leaving it to rot in his backyard. A friend of my sisters bought the car (after 2 years of non use) and towed it to her house (she has a large garage) planning to restore it when he got the fonds. The new owners wife, finding out that her husband had just bought a "junker" which would cost a lot to fix, "asked" him to "kindly let someone else have the pleasure of working with the car", and sold it to my dad a year later. After 3 1/2 years, my father and me started to work on the car. By the time we discovered that the 944 was not designed for "large" people, he offered to give me the car (hell, he got it dirt cheap). Now it runs but need a lot of care.

I am starting a visual record of everything that is done to the car. The idea is to get it to track level withhout losing it's streetability. To my pride, I already scored up a Impreza RS, both in start up and in high speed.

Done to the Car:
1) Mayor tuneup (oils, belts, plugs, etc.)
2) Removal of Pasenger seat (rotted beyond repair, tracks rusted up beyond recognition)
3) Cranck sensors replaced
4) K&N box air filter
5) Dash cover placed (top of the Dash is cracked beyond repair)
6) Added a temporary (cheap) sound sistem.

Thing to do and situations to atend:
1)low oil pressure and dark oil after 2 oil changes
Oil pressure is a little over 2 in idle and the oil is still pretty black, though less than at the beginning.
2)Change driver seat and add a pasenger seat.
3)Fix most gauges
The odometer and the watch do not work
4)Change/fix headlights and fix divers side turn lights
The Divers side light used to work after about a minute of it being turn on. Now it does not.
5)Fix general interiors
6)Repaint the car
With the weather beating the car took, the paint got all warped and chipped.

Thing to consider
1) Using an open air filter (but not sure if it is worth it till I make an intake scoup to get cooler air)
2) Chipping. (Though I have read it does little for the 944 NA
3) Exauhst (The car has a 2 1/2 " exhaust sistem, but it's a bit rusted, nothing serious.

AND WITH THAT,

Hello
Old 06-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey welcome to the list buddy. It seems me and you both have our fair share of neglect toward our cars. I dont know what it is about the 944, but they sure end up getting abandon alot.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion, but before you start wondering about modingit, try to get it back to a happy state of Porsche ..

Once its running reliable then drive it at lengths. You may find out that when it runs right , there's no need for modifications.

Anyway, there are volumes of info here.. please respect others on the board, and by all means don't ask how to put ina turbo.

Keep us updated on the major stuff. I think that everyone loves to see one come back to life...

Don

(edit) as far as the exhaust, get a stock one. As far as the open air box / K&N... get a stock box and put a good paper filter on it. I'm sure there are many here that would sell you there K&N setup...
Old 06-26-2004, 03:16 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome...
Ask and you shall receive. Rennlist is the place for those new to 944's like most of us were at one time. The 83's are a kick, it's amazing how they feel so different that the later models...mine seems so much more tossable than later N/A's I've driven. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:46 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Don 944 LA
and by all means don't ask how to put ina turbo.
That's not fair to warn 'em up front.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the sport anymore..

Welcome to Rennlist-
Check out www.p-caronline.com (Thanks Matt!) and get a few pics posted!
Old 06-26-2004, 04:25 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Welcome!
Where in Puerto Rico are you? My mother was born in Arecebo.

Please, before you do anything else to the car, change the timing & balance belts, rollers, and the water pump. As long as the car has been sitting and due it's history of neglect, it's running on borrowed time.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally posted by 2Tight
The 83's are a kick, it's amazing how they feel so different that the later models...mine seems so much more tossable than later N/A's I've driven.
I have not driven other 944, so i do not get the coment. Please explain.

As to where in Puerto Rico, I live in San Juan.
The Timing belt and pump have been changed.

Working on the car today, I discovered that the car's shocks where changed to adjustable ones and the water pump is from a turbo.

As for the turbo change, why? That would place me in another category. Plus the added bonus of smoking those little turbo pocket rockets is priceless.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

Quick Reply: Newbie, introducing myself and my ride