Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this gauge still good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:07 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Is this gauge still good?

A while ago I had taken my car to the mechanic and complained that the water temperature gauge was jumping all over the place. He suggested I purchase a new one. Since at that time I had the PCA coupon at my disposal I went to the dealer to order one and had it shipped directly to me. From there I figured the mechanic would be able to install it and all would be fixed.

Well the gauge arrived and I took it to the mechanic to install it. He looked at it and told me it is defective and to return it for a new one. I then found out that when it comes to electrical components Porsche does not take returns or exchanges, period!

So since I'm trying to clean out the garage I came across it once again. I've attached a picture and I was hoping someone could tell me if these things could be re-calibrated or is it junk? Ideally if I could get it to work I want to install it in my car. But by the looks of it - it doesn't seem to be working very well.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was defective wheh you received it they have to take it back. That's BS.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:40 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Give it power and the needles may go back to the orignal position
Old 06-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The needles may just be out of position. You can easily pop them off and push them back on in the correct resting position.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:39 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally posted by Peckster
If it was defective wheh you received it they have to take it back. That's BS.
I agree - but I went to two Porsche dealers and even spoke with the managers of the parts departments and no go. Basically with any electrical component, if you use their mechanics to install it then it's under warranty - but if you try to install it yourself, you're screwed. I was pissed but what can I do?

I'll try to apply power to it to see if maybe that fixes it. It's just at rest the gauge in my car doesn't look that bad.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:35 PM
swimmingly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike Murcia
The needles may just be out of position. You can easily pop them off and push them back on in the correct resting position.
I agree with Mike. If the gauge is jumping all over the place, that's a problem with something else. The needles should start at the bottom of the bottom line on either side, which can be done by popping them off and putting them back on in the correct position.

Quick Reply: Is this gauge still good?