Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Car.

Since the 944 is gone, I have to find another car.

My choices are
Or a Corrado (I'm really interested in this thing)

What are everyones opinions/suggestions about the Corrado. Yes, I know it's FWD, but I've always wanted one since I was about 8 same with the 944. Of course, it probably doesn't handle as well as the 944 but is probably faster in off the line speed. It isn't even that bad of a track candidate.

I've heard that the major faults are usually the supercharger (g60's) and the sunroof. The VR6's have numerous annoying problems, more than the 4 anyway.

So what do you guys think, I can get them for under 3500 in pretty good condition. I'm not trying to hear "buy a 951" (no offense), because the insurance won't give me enough for one and I'm only spending what the insurance company quotes they'll give me.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

The G60s were pretty prone to trouble. IIRC, the problems had to do with their very tight production toloraces which meant they wore out faster. They also liked to throw belts that lead the supercharger to machine itself down and send all of the metal shards into the engine. I know that they used to sell double-belt systems in the aftermarket, but it's been so long since I followed that engine that I really have no idea where

BB.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Yea, just like 944's, maitenence is very important. Superchargers can be rebuilt before they fail and mess up the belts (usually the cause of belt failure). And most Forced induced cars are very upgradable, which makes me want it even more.

When I had my civic and was ready to buy a 944, people warned me about them, high maintenence costs, overly engineered. Blah....blah....blah. I never had any real problems with it, except for a broken bolt and the headers.

Every car has it's faults some being more expensive than others.

Aside from maintenence, for people who have owned or experienced one. How was it, was is comfortable, fast, slow, handles well?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:51 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

The G60 is an A2 chassis VW, which is the same platform as my Jetta. Out of the box it handles suprisingly well, and will become even better with standard suspension/tire mods. And the good news is that mods for the car will be very inexpensive, at least compared to the 944. It'll also be easy to work on.

Probably the only real concern (aside from your typical age-related things) will be the electrics, as older VWs seem to attract electrical gremlins. But aside from my tachometer dying whenever I turn on my high beams, everything is good to go on mine!

Again, though, I'm not Corrado-specific, so I'm sure that some of the owners will know more.

One thing you can try is to go to the other forum I hang out on (www.ricecopforums.com) and post this question. There's a guy there (8vturbo) who has a turbo Corrado, and I believe is also in New Jersey. He could probably help you out, although he'll be a little biased towards the car.

Not like that ever happens here...

Hope this helps,
BB.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
the_Wolf
Advanced

My experience....

The Corrado G-60 is slightly lighter than the SLC and in terms of maintenance, probably slightly less $$$ to maintain. The main problems are as others stated - blown G-Lader superchargers and minor electrical gremlins. If you look at a g-60 version and it has any oil in the boost tubes, other than maybe a slight film, stay away from it, unless you want to replace the g-lader with a rebuilt unit from KompressorKanada or Bahn Brenner Motorsports.

I just got rid of my 92 SLC when I moved to California last year and I am wishing that there was some way that I could have kept it as a daily driver. I absolutely love the VR6 - it has gobs of torque and if you maintain it properly, it is reliable as hell. With no mods other than a K&N filter and Neuspeed exhaust my SLC would spin all the way through to third gear. One caveat is that due to the design of the head, the engine tends to run very hot so cooling system upgrades may be a good idea depending on your climate. There was a recall on the heater core for the VR6 which should have also been taken care of by a previous owner, but be on the lookout. Things to look out for on the early 12V VR6 engines are primarily the timing chains - they generally need to be replaced around 130,000 miles and replacement requires removal of the tranny. I did the job myself and it is definitely not beyond the abilities of the DIYer, so long as its not your first time doing major engine/mechanical work. If you don't do the chains yourself the job usually runs from $1200-$1600. While the tranny is off, the clutch should be replaced as well. The cost for parts is approx. $250, not including the clutch. Other areas to watch out for are a non-functional sunroof, plenty of little electrical problems and be prepared - the US spec headlights on the Corrado are absolutely useless - you could see more on the road with two candles.

Hope this gives you at least some insights....

- John
Old 06-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Very helpful info, I'm thinking of getting a g60, I've heard about to many things going wrong with the VR6's. Its a pick and win or pick and loose game with those, just like 944's if you get a poorly maintained one it's gonna be a money pit.

The one I'm looking at, the supercharger pulls the car nicely but could use a rebuild just to be safe. Needs carpet and door panels, has some damage but the owner will give me straight panels for reeplacement. Engine has about 125K.

Quick Reply: Replacement Car.