Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:05 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Smile Looking for a daily driver

Title pretty much says it, looking for a daily driver. I am looking for a 944, 924, or 914. It is going to be a daily ride, so I'm not looking for a concours winner. I am looking for a car in good running condition in decent cosmetic condition, suitible to take a date out in. I am looking to spend anywhere between $1 and $8000, but there is a catch.

A little backgroud on myself:
I am a freshly graduated student with a degree in computer network systems.I used to be an aircraft mechanic until the 9-11 thing happened that made the aircraft industry a little tough to say the least. I was furlowed without notice and was out of work for a little while. I am now a CNC machinist for the largest independent CNC plant in the southwest ( www.kagerind.com ). I love my new career and am on the up and up currently.

Now I know you aren't interested in reading my biography, but what this means is I am short on stockpiled cash as I just moved into a new house and got resettled. I do, however have a very well paying career and very little expenses which means I can more than afford a sizable monthly payment. I don't have bad credt, I don't have any, which is almost worse than having bad credit is this day and age. I am 21 years old and have never in my life bought anything on credit and have resisted getting a credit card for a long time. I recently applied for one to start building my credit and was denied each time becuase my lack of credit history - well duh!

So here's the deal, if you are interested, I would like to pay $300-$450 per month. I would draw up a contract for accountability and I will provide you with personal references of some very prominent gentlemen (business owners) so you are confident I am not a deadbeat.

I am located in Fredericksburg, Texas and would need the car to be somewhere in central Texas so I could look at the car and drive it home in a single weekend.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone has something to offer, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hope you find somehting, shouldn't be too hard iwth your price range and location, lots of em down there in decent shape.

hey, mine's a concours winner. 3rd place baby. and i'm sure you want better condition than this...
Old 06-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like Alok's car (houston944) would be perfect for you, but I'd bet he doesn't want to be your banker.

The overall $$ amount isn't great. A smaller bank might see you as worthy and give you a signature loan. That would build your credit profile.

I did that for my first 951. Got a small loan from Banco Popular (yeah, the Mexican one), anyway and paid it off in like 6-7 months. I think they were impressed by the novelty of a gringo asking them to borrow money.

Whether you're indebted to a bank or an individual doesn't change the fact you'll have an obligation. That is what banks are for. I think you'll find precious few people willing to take you up on the idea of a pay-as-you-go.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:54 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Yes unfortunatly most people are unwilling to do this, and I don't blame them at all. I have tried twice to get a loan from a bank, and three times with three different companies to get a low limit credit card. I don't understand why these companies pre-approve all these cards to deadbeats with no money or responsibility and yet I can't get a small loan to save my life!!! Anyway, it's a long shot I know, but I'm going to try anyways.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy, banking is so screwed up.

The CEO of my former company could not get a personal credit card. But the same bank that denied him a personal credit card accepted his personal guarantee on a note for $5MM. Crazy.

Do you have any opportunity to join a credit union? If you can through your work or through a family member somehow, they are a great way to get/establish credit.

You may not get a great interest rate, but you should be able to get a loan for a car when buying from a dealer. Car loans are secured by the car. They are easier to get loans for than to get credit cards in most cases.

Last edited by Geo; 06-24-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Geo
Race Director

Can you guys cut or form threads (male and female) in 316?

If so I need to talk with you or someone in your company. I have a product that our current machinist is threading by hand and he cannot keep up with our demand. It's been hell.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

We sure can, give us a call or email. Tell 'em Dan sent you.

Phone-830-997-9391

www.kagerind.com
Old 06-24-2004, 09:14 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a guy with a 85.5 Guards/Linen auto trans 944. It needs some cosmetic work but would be a good daily driver.
He would probably take $1800 for it.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sharky47
Ye. I don't understand why these companies pre-approve all these cards to deadbeats with no money or responsibility and yet I can't get a small loan to save my life!!! Anyway, it's a long shot I know, but I'm going to try anyways.
Because they make a lot more money off deadbeats who don't make their monthly payments...
Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Geo
Race Director

Dan, will do. In fact, I'm thinking of driving down to discuss our product(s). I'm trying to find out if we have one of our parts (that we can't keep in stock) floating around somewhere.

What CAD package do y'all use?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

George, if Sharky can't help you out, let me know. I have a lot of customers that can do that. 316 is nothing special, except the price of molybdenum sure has impacted the value of it this year.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Geo
Race Director

Brian, you know people who CNC thread 316? Maybe it's not as big a deal as I thought. That stuff is hard. I broke two taps in that stuff.

One unique concern is I need to find someone with the capacity to make BSP threads.

If you have resources, I'd love to check them out. We've grown beyond our current machinists' (two different ones) ability to service us properly.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a tip for establishing your credit line.

Apply for an American Express card...the one you have to pay off each month. There pretty easy to get, especially for someone your age. Use it and pay it off each month for about 2 months and pretty soon you'll have credit card offers flooding your mailbox every week. I've seen this happen several times and it hasn't failed yet.
HTH
Old 06-24-2004, 05:21 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Geo, come on by if you'd like, I am a machine programmer/operator so I wouldn't be answering most of your questions personally. I would be more than happy to give you a tour and show off our machines though, also would be a good excuse to go by the local brewery and have a burger.

944Pete - I might be interested in this car you speak of, you mind sending me some details? Might be a fun car especially if I convert it to manual!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:39 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sharky,
Andy (nine-44) is going to look at it this weekend. If he doesn't buy it I'll PM you with details.

Quick Reply: Looking for a daily driver