Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to title an abandoned car in my name...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poor Joe! I am sorry that happened to you. Hmm, left-hand drill bits sound interesting...what all can you do with them? I am left-handed, btw, and thought that most left-handed tool stuff were jokes - like sending someone to the tool box for a left-handed crescent wrench, or screwdriver. Pulled that stunt several times!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Eyal 951
...and suddenly your head is on the way to the shop, being ported polished, valve work and milled!
~Eyal
eyal-
how much are you milling? do you have to worry about valve/piston interference? standard valves, or oversized?

julie-
left handed drill bits just mean they have flutes that go the opposite direction. like a reverse thread/left hand thread bolt or screw.

RENNLIST CAR!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't understand why you're attacking Eyal about the car. It seems like the dealership would like to give him the car, and if they obtain a lein sale, than he can get the car for extrememly cheap. Even if he doesn't have the money to fix the car now, it would prove to be a wise investment to get the car now, and when he has more money, he can restore it, or make it a track car. A couple weeks ago I bought a VW Scirocco for $150. The car needed attention, and a bunch of new parts, which I couldn't afford at the time, but at such a cheap price , I couldn't let it go. After I saw two ****ty VWs sitting in my driveway, and not having enough cash to get both running properly, I decided that I didn't need the Scirocco and sold it for $550, investing only a couple hours of my time and $10.

This is a similar situation. If he can get this car for cheap, he has the ability to sell it or part it for more than his initial investment, or if he decides to restore it later down the road, more power to him.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Like for example I have never ever had to take any of my cars through emmissions...and yes they are all registered....does anyone know how i did this....? Its pretty easy to do actually.....
Bold statement. Ditto 951 Tom, do tell.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:27 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in high school (all of 6 years ago) I bought an abandoned motorcycle from a friend of mine. The bike was an old '67 honda that had been sitting there for at least 15 years. The owner who left it at my friends place had somewhat of a sketchy past and at was either in jail or running from the law and had not been in touch with them for at least 10 years.

The bike had Utah plates but was in Virginia, and to title it I ended up having a relative of mine in New Hampshire title it there in his name, then signed it over and mail it to me. Apparently to get a title in New Hampshire all you need is a bill of sale for the vehicle. I think that has to be notorized, but I can't remember. Once I had that title it was easy to get one in VA in my name.

I dunno if this will work for that car but it might. There might be a kind rennlister in New Hampshire that can help out if you want to try this.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:31 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Here's the number for DMV:

You can call them and ask them what forms and procedures you wil need to do, but I think Bill stated it superbly in his post. Just make sure you seriously want the car and are willing to go through what it takes to legally get the title. To reiterate Bill, make sure you "cross your t's and dot your i's", if not it just makes the DMV more hell than it is already, aside form the fact that there is always the PO threat.

For example, just to get the title to my Grandfather's (bless his soul) '81 Camaro via transfer of title without probate, I will need Reg. 227, Reg. 5, Statement of fact Reg. 256, and then Reg 262, last of which I can't download from the DMV site (http://www.dmv.ca.gov). I need to go through all of this just to dump the car at a wrecking yard, where all cheeseball Chevy Camaros belong.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

How to never have to go through emmissions.........When you register a car, or when I register a car here in Milwaukee....I put my regular address down for the mailing of DMV crap like renewals and stuff like that, but in the spot where they ask where the vehicle is being kept...I just put down my address for up north, as up there no emmisions is required....! Simple...! SO the DMV then thinks that the car is being kept in an area that no emmissions is needed....

And yes I have been pulled over many times...and no the cop never asked me or will ask you why the car is being driven in MIlwaukee or whatever area you drive the car.....other than the actuall area of where the car is kept.......

simple....

DAmian
Old 06-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

ok, since we all have houses up north! (can I haqve your address?) Cunning though.
~Eyal
Old 06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying its not worth to restore when not once have i said i want to. I have, however, pointed out that I WILL NOT restore this car more then once. The furthest I would go is building a track car, and thats a stretch. (Working drivetrain and whatnot) Julie (Devia) and I have an agreement that if the 951 is to her satisfaction, i will be the new caretaker of her running NA, while she will resurect this once glory back to life. this seems like the most probably case. if not, worst comes to worst, I can sit on the car for a few years....
I have visited the car a few times, its actually in decent shape. its not a turb at all like 1988952 seems to expertly diagnose. Honestly, I've seem many running cars in worse shape. The paint on this car is better then Julie's NA. the interior is decent, cracked dash, the leather seats are not torn, and decent. under the floor mats, the carpet looks brand new! better then my carpet! (of course, this carpet is black, mine is tan...the engine looks like it was taken care of, etc etc. a nice bath, and you'd never know this thing has sat for the past 6 or 7 years.
~Eyal
Old 06-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That would only work if you had an alternate address; here in CA, I think Ventura and Inyo are the only counties around that are exempt from the smog requirement (that are close to SoCal). Check the DMV web site, I remember getting this information from there a year or two ago, but seriously - I'd rather spend a few bucks and know I'm doing my part for cleaner air anyway.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that trick won't work in a state that has one rule for the whole state.
Don't fret about 1988952, he doesn't know enough about Porsches to know what 952 refers to or he'd know that there's no such thing as a 1988 952.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:47 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, I thought 952 referred to a right hand drive 951. I bet he doesn't have a right hand drive car.........................
Old 06-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by tifosiman
OK, I thought 952 referred to a right hand drive 951. I bet he doesn't have a right hand drive car.........................
thats what I thought too, of course the turbo S is refered to as the 952 as well, but supposedly thats bs.
~Eyal
Old 06-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, 952 is the designation given to special sub-assemblies within the 944 series, the engine in the '88 951S and '89> 951, the cabrio specific parts of an S2 or 951 cab and the RHD specific parts from those cars. Porsche still refers to a RHD 915 cab as a 951, there is no vehicle designated 952. So why all the uproar about a comment made by someone who doesn't know the model designation of his own car?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Advanced

I explained once my affiliation with the 952 and I am not going to do it again. Sorry.
Superdave, you are right , I am a total idiot, I should have known that you would expose me as a shameless liar and I only walked by in my dreams by that gem for the last three years. After all it only needs some Finish 2000 and some armorall like in the commercials and it will be like new.The reason I never itemized the missing parts including the fried ECU was, guess what? There is nothing wrong or missing and it will run like a champ after an easy saturday afternoon!
Hopefully one day you will allow me to learn the things about Porsche which you have already forgotten because picking crumbs is better than nothing afterall and again my sincerest apologies for not meeting your level of excellence but we can compare testscores on PCNA source.com all day long to see if you are the top gun, if you even know what that represents.

Quick Reply: how to title an abandoned car in my name...