Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to title an abandoned car in my name...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
How can rings rust to an aluminum/silica block?
I could see the rust sticking the two together after several years. The block should be OK once you get the rings out though.

What's surprising is that no one bothered reinstalling the plugs. Maybe they know the block is already toast.

Probably just good for parts.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To register you need a title.
To part you don't but without a title you have two issues.

1) No proof that you did not steal the car.

2) Once done you cannot properly dispose of the chassis.

A friend of my local runs a small waste removal business. At one job site there was a shell of a car. No title could be found so inorder dispose of it he had chop it to little pieces.

Not sure how to obtain title, but they should have a record of the car on file. In az if you have alost title you can apply for a duplicate. Maybe that is what you can do. Then contant the titled owner.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, not how you do it; there is only one way to do it properly, and that is not it.

I am rather miffed that I am being ignored here, and to be talked over like this is TICKING ME OFF!

It is rude to do that; so, stop being rude! Or Kijo will eatcha!
Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"How can rings rust to an aluminum/silica block?"

It's not a chemical bond, like two rusty steel parts, but a mechanical bond. The rusty steel expands into the valleys and pockets of the alusil bore. Basically the spots where the aluminium used to be between the silicone crystals. The honing/lapping removes the aluminium and leaves a little space. The rust will expand into this and lock the ring in place. It will take some good soaking with PB-blaster and some good pounding with a mallet to unstick the pistons.

Eyal, you've got enough problems with a single once-good-running 951. Don't take on another project of gargantuan proportions; just imagine the worse migrain headache you've ever had... and multiply it by 10x! Julie's got a perfectly good running 944 that you can make into a 944-spec car and go racing with the rest of us. Give her the project car to deal with.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
[B]
Eyal, you've got enough problems with a single once-good-running 951. Don't take on another project of gargantuan proportions; just imagine the worse migrain headache you've ever had... and multiply it by 10x! Julie's got a perfectly good running 944 that you can make into a 944-spec car and go racing with the rest of us. Give her the project car to deal with.
Sounds like good advice.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You know, most state DMVs have an abandoned auto title form, have you checked with the CA DMV yet about what forms are needed and the steps to take to get this car?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
"How can rings rust to an aluminum/silica block?"

It's not a chemical bond, like two rusty steel parts, but a mechanical bond. The rusty steel expands into the valleys and pockets of the alusil bore. Basically the spots where the aluminium used to be between the silicone crystals. The honing/lapping removes the aluminium and leaves a little space. The rust will expand into this and lock the ring in place. It will take some good soaking with PB-blaster and some good pounding with a mallet to unstick the pistons.

I'd rather have the NA then part this car. With the money i make on mparting it, i could buy a nice NA, but not worth the effort if I can get Julies. I'll definetly DEFINETLY go spec racing with you.
~Eyal
Old 06-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fascinating, Danno, on the specifics on the engine!

Before any final decisions, and if Eyal can shake that car legally loose, gotta have the guys look at it with me.

This is not going to be cheap, and it is best to treat it as needing engine, and see what all has been pilfered from the car. Possibly a full restoration.

BUT it could be worth the time, effort, and money to restore it. Kijo gets called "restoration on wheels", lol.

I need a nice black/black Turbo to call Devia!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:50 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Once you get the car where will you store the sucker? Last time I checked people in Calabasas didn't have old chevys sitting on blocks on their lawns. . But if you do get it, I maybe interested in the Fuchs with a partial trade on a set of phonedials.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

If you do decide to part it, I need the intercooler to turbo hose.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:39 AM
Advanced

Maybe I am missing something here and do not get me wrong , if this was a 70 year old Bugatti I could understand all the hoopla but for a 951 parts car? Because that what it is to any person who has ever wrenched for a extended period of time and I think I can make that statement because I KNOW THE CAR and I am not just giving negative advise. But I guess if you want to sit in the garage for the next five years and do not mind having a social live at all I certainly will not hold you back. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a few people who can actually repair/make use of that car with the ability to title it. There was a 951 that sold for $2800 running and driving condition last week in the recycler. Asking price was 3k and body/interior in great condition. The steering rack and pan leaked badly along with some small issues. I saw the ad and later sold parts to the guy who bought it. With the amount of problems you have in upkeeping your mint 951, I stay away from that thing if I were you as it will cost you more than $2800 to get this thing running.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"But if you do get it, I maybe interested in the Fuchs with a partial trade on a set of phonedials."

"If you do decide to part it, I need the intercooler to turbo hose."

The vultures are circling !!!! Another complication here is that this is not an abandoned car. It's not on public property. It's actually been on a dealer lot, so the dealer has 1st dibs (lien sale) to pay off any work that's been done, or simply storage fees for 7 years. So... we need someone with diplomatic skillz here to negotiate a deal...
Old 06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 1988952
Maybe I am missing something here and do not get me wrong , if this was a 70 year old Bugatti I could understand all the hoopla but for a 951 parts car? Because that what it is to any person who has ever wrenched for a extended period of time and I think I can make that statement because I KNOW THE CAR and I am not just giving negative advise. But I guess if you want to sit in the garage for the next five years and do not mind having a social live at all I certainly will not hold you back. Good luck.
Dude, lose the attitude, stop playing undercover mechanic and come back when you are willing to add something to this discussion besides veiled insults and mindless assertions. And if you haven't noticed, this is a Porsche message board, as well as the 929/944/968 section- so yeah, we have a lot of "hoopla" about dead 951s.

Your name in't AMAF, is it?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Porsh-uh
I am sorry if I insulted your Porsche shrine, but when it comes to parts cars I shoot from the hip and be as blunt as possible about if you like it or not because that what it takes to put some kid back to reality and not getting buried in a exorbitant money hole. I wish somebody would have given me that advise 25 years ago when I started a similar project and it took me three years(and a ton of money) to complete.

Quick Reply: how to title an abandoned car in my name...