Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to title an abandoned car in my name...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I only worship in the house of The Lord. So get off your high horse. And giving someone advice doesn't involve threats and insults.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Obtaining abandoned vehicle title is possible through the California DMV. The forms are on their website. If I remember, around 8 pages.

Let me summarize,

It involves paying DMV for a title search to get the name and address of the owner. Then you must send the DMV owner notification form to them (certified mail). If the owner does not respond in the prescribed time, you must hold a lein sale. You must advertise the lein sale and then actually hold a public lein sale. If the car does not sell at the lein sale, you can purchase it from yourself. After all this, you can then provide DMV with the completed documentation (their forms), then pay regristration fees and become title holder. At this point, DMV will not give you a pink slip though. DMV will themselves make one more notification of a title change to the owner (about 3-4 weeks).

Oh....they will probably require you to pay ALL the past due registration fees to bring the car current. I sold a car to someone that wanted to make payments. I retained title as lein holder. The guy flaked and when I went to remove the clown from title, it cost me $500 for two years of past due registration.

So the process is lengthy, will cost money, and should the owner surface anywhere in the process, he takes the car. Unless he owes money to the dealership (storage, work). Then the Dealership can go through the above process without concern if the owner shows. That is unless he pays what is owed, then he takes the car.

I would also think that if you did all the above, got the car, restored the car, you could still be at risk. How? forget to dot one I or cross one T and the previous owner could sue, and get a shinny new car.

The whole purpose of this.....to keep people from arbitrarily taking other peoples cars.

There is no free lunch.

Last edited by Bill; 06-24-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:53 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by 1988952
....I am sorry if I insulted your Porsche shrine, ....
I'm not certain you insulted his - but - I am pretty sure you insulted mine.....

.....you like it or not because that what it takes to put some kid back to reality and not getting buried in a exorbitant money hole. ....
Really - well - thankfully you weren't around to "exhort the virtues of reality" when I bought my first '65 911 - in boxes (including all the engine bits, 901 transmission and stripped tub..). In fact - 6 months later, after putting it all back together - I made $7000 (back in the days when $7000 was worth $7000) - and bought my first running Porsche - my 931....

The point is - if someone wants to take on that effort - I know Rennlist - and folks like Scott will be around to assist, even with free parts, advice, concern and assistance. That's sort of what "this shrine" is all about.

Most folks get it. A few abject few – refuse to even try to grasp the concept.

From a personal perspective - I wish Rennlist was around during my youth - as I've rebuilt many cars, some in worse shape then what is being discussed in this thread. Of course - when I started rebuilding Porsche's - Gore hadn't "invented the Internet" - so Rennlist could not have existed....
Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, have someone very knowledgable in rebuilding these cars go with you to see it. Get their opinion on how much it will take to rebuild it or how much you could make parting it out based on what's left. At that point, figure out if you are willing to spend that much money on the car and decide if you want to go further with obtaining the title. At this point though, it would mean you have 2 non-running 951's.

My vote is have a Rennlist project to rebuild the car and donate it to someone here, or a charity/raffle type dealie.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Eyal,

What's wrong with your 951, why isn't it running?
After reading the posts, and if I were in your position, I'd trade Julie.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Obtaining a title for an abondaned car is pretty easy to do....well as long as you know someone with a dealer license.....I bought my Jetta from a Police Auction, no keys, no title, abandoned vehicle.....had no problems getting it titled, getting keys made, and registered......If you cant figure it out on how to do it...drop me a PM I will tell you about some loop holes in our DMV......

Like for example I have never ever had to take any of my cars through emmissions...and yes they are all registered....does anyone know how i did this....? Its pretty easy to do actually.....

DAmian
Old 06-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, John D.!

Nothing can be done with this car, until the dealership does their part, period!

I think some of the fines can be brought down, by proof of it not running.

But we are rather helpless unless the Dealership does something first - it's on private property, their property, and they need to contact the owner before dumping it onto someone else.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Danno
"But if you do get it, I maybe interested in the Fuchs with a partial trade on a set of phonedials."

"If you do decide to part it, I need the intercooler to turbo hose."

The vultures are circling !!!! Another complication here is that this is not an abandoned car. It's not on public property. It's actually been on a dealer lot, so the dealer has 1st dibs (lien sale) to pay off any work that's been done, or simply storage fees for 7 years. So... we need someone with diplomatic skillz here to negotiate a deal...
Danno,
they told me they'd be glad to GIVE it to me. they just want it gone. There has been no work performed on it, and the parts they stole of it can suffice as their compensation for keeping it.
~Eyal
Old 06-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

My car isn't running because I opted to pull the head. Not because it has problems. (my own learning mistake, broke a bolt in the head) It's amazing how one minute your in the middle of JUST changing your vacuum lines, and suddenly your head is on the way to the shop, being ported polished, valve work and milled!
~Eyal
P.S. My first option would be to trade Julie for her running NA. If she's not cool with that, I'll have a decision to make. Part it out, or race car. Of course I like the idea of a rennlist car. If we make a rennlist car, we go all out, and make it nice as well as quick. represent rennlist well. We could hold a rennlist raffle for it, proceeds going to the website. I'm sure the "West Coast Wrenchers" would be glad to build the project... at least I'd be glad to help. This is of course, if i can't get the NA, and its not worth it to me to do something for myself. Sorry for the selfishness.
~Eyal
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsh-uh
I am sorry if I insulted your Porsche shrine, but when it comes to parts cars I shoot from the hip and be as blunt as possible about if you like it or not because that what it takes to put some kid back to reality and not getting buried in a exorbitant money hole. I wish somebody would have given me that advise 25 years ago when I started a similar project and it took me three years(and a ton of money) to complete.
Your advise is as valid as any other on this post imo. I really don't understand why some people are getting so uptight about what you're saying, you obviously know the car better than anyone else.

It's been said many times: Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:17 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Dude, that was mine. I got drunk one night and forgot where I left it. Can you deliver it back to PA?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
My car isn't running because I opted to pull the head. Not because it has problems. (my own learning mistake, broke a bolt in the head) It's amazing how one minute your in the middle of JUST changing your vacuum lines, and suddenly your head is on the way to the shop, being ported polished, valve work and milled!
~Eyal
P.S. My first option would be to trade Julie for her running NA. If she's not cool with that, I'll have a decision to make. Part it out, or race car. Of course I like the idea of a rennlist car. If we make a rennlist car, we go all out, and make it nice as well as quick. represent rennlist well. We could hold a rennlist raffle for it, proceeds going to the website. I'm sure the "West Coast Wrenchers" would be glad to build the project... at least I'd be glad to help. This is of course, if i can't get the NA, and its not worth it to me to do something for myself. Sorry for the selfishness.
~Eyal
I truley think that you have enough on your hands with one 951, and trying to pay for it. Trying to maintain 2 cars is not going to be practical in your case i don't think. Go tow the damn thing away and part it out. At least then you can make some money to put towards getting your current 951 into great shape. For the time you will spend ripping it apart, you will learn alot about how things go together and make some money for your other car while you are at it. (Plus the plethora of odd spare parts you will have around will really be of benefit to your other 951) If the car has been sitting for 7 years, it is probably too far beyond reasonable repair for a daily driver. I mean come on, do you think no one else has noticed it sitting there and thought about fixing it up? Part it, and build the hell out of your current car.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:06 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OH, and that way you don't have to worry about changing the title. And um, i am sure there is a deep canyon in california somewhere, where an empty tub could slide off a trailer and go down where no one will ever find it again.....but hey that wasn't my idea
Old 06-25-2004, 12:45 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Lead Foot 944
Like for example I have never ever had to take any of my cars through emmissions...and yes they are all registered....does anyone know how i did this....? Its pretty easy to do actually.....

DAmian

Ok...tell us.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:37 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
Eyal, so have you pulled the bolt? I just broke one in a waterpump (after having installed the frigging thing) so I ordered a whole set of left-hand drill bits and screw extractors. You can borrow them if you need them -- I just moved to Pacific Palisades.

Quick Reply: how to title an abandoned car in my name...