Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone please Carfax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can anyone please Carfax?

Yeah, I know it's a Kia, but the price is right for a commuter/beater.
VIN is KNAFB161225074212
2002 Spectra glx, anyone who knows ANYTHING about these cars is encouraged to enlighten me, I know nothing at all about them since i wouldn't normally consider one other than that my new commute will be just a hair over 1 gallon each way (34 miles).
Either post here or to DAdriance@comcast.net would be much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, I also looked at a '95 Ford Ranger ext cab and a '97 Dakota Club cab today. 98k and 110k miles respectively. The Kia is 39K and has some warrenty left on it.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Resale value = ZERO! Junk, junk, junk!! You're going to be driving it every day...get something nicer Dave!!

Driving Impressions
The Spectra sedan ranks as adequate but not up to the level of its most likely competitors in performance, handling and ride comfort. Driving qualities, in fact, are almost reminiscent of an earlier era. Value is what sells these sedans, even though their reputation for durability cannot match that of comparable Honda or Toyota models.

Even with the manual shift, performance is not a strong suit for the Spectra. Considerable downshifting is necessary to keep the hatchback rolling along — and this is required even more if you happen to be headed uphill for a time. Although the Getrag-designed gearshift is a bit vague and rubbery, it functions with sufficient ease. Acceleration with the automatic transmission sets no records, and the unit sometimes downshifts with a jolt. On the whole, it responds as well as the automatics in most competitors. Engine noise is noticeable during acceleration, but it eases at highway speeds.

What places the Spectra ahead of some of the competition is its smooth ride. Although the Spectra stays acceptably on course on straight highways and through modest curves, it sometimes threatens to become a little unhinged in quick maneuvers. Stabilizer bars at both ends help to keep the hatchback stable.

The front seats are comfortable and well-cushioned. As in most small cars, fitting three people — especially adults — in the backseat can get mighty snug. Headroom is adequate on both sides, and rear legroom is above average for the compact league. Radio controls are a lot better than in past Kias, and gauges are nicely laid-out and easy to read. A glove box that’s bigger than most comes as a surprise.

Reported by Jim Flammang for cars.com

Quick Reply: Can anyone please Carfax?