Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 944 NA - Green tint to oil, smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 09:44 AM
forwardtrends
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 87 944 NA - Green tint to oil, smells like gas

So I just got my 87 944 2.5 NA back from the mechanic - had a full header and exhaust installed, new AC compressor, and a bunch of other stuff.

I haven't driven it much since I last had the oil changed in November, but I've driven it a few times in the last week and it's been running great. It's not leaking anything, not smoking, not overheating, and idling good. I have noticed lately that it's spitting out a lot of black condensation when I start it, which goes away once hot.

Yesterday I checked the oil out of habit after it had cooled down from a drive, and the oil has a green tint to it. I immediately had the dreaded thoughts of head gasket or oil cooler, but the coolant reservoir seems to be fine - no oil floating or milky color. It doesn't seem to be losing coolant either.

This morning (after lots of research) I went out again and smelled the oil. It doesn't smell sweet like coolant, it smells more like gas.

Anyone ever had this happen before? I read it might be fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator problem?

When I picked up my car, the mechanic mentioned that he tuned the AFM after installed the header, exhaust and O2 sensor. Could this be affecting things?

Thank you!

Old 04-09-2024, 10:34 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

If it was fueling enough to get raw fuel down past the rings into the oil the plugs should show some indication, let it idle for a while and then look at them.
Fuel should boil out of the oil before water does, is it warming up fully?

Black condensation sounds weird. Maybe carbon from running very rich.

"Tuning the AFM" sounds like BS or maybe a pretty high skill level adjustment with significant labor and test equipment. Or some hamfisting random bending. Hmmm.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:51 AM
forwardtrends
AutoX

Yeah getting fully warm - drove it around for 45 minutes yesterday and the fans actually kicked on when I got back. It sounded and felt ok - not overheating or smoking.

Haha - he may not have used the word "tuned" but he mentioned maybe adjusting the AFM and that nobody had ever done it before (I have no idea what that means lol). This was after I mentioned upgrading to an MAF. This guy is legit, he was working on a GT3 motor and PPIing a white 35k mile 951 which I was very envious of lol. He knows 944s inside and out, the owner of the places races 944s, 911s and VWs.

The black condensation just started recently - never did that before and it was happening prior to getting the header and exhaust installed too (prior to him messing with the AFM). My old exhaust was trashed so I thought it might just be that, but now I have no idea.

It's oddly not smoking and not running like it's rich though. Thought it was running good but this is my first 944 so what do I know lol
Old 04-09-2024, 11:03 AM
Robertf1997
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be a dumb question but did he use liqui moly molygen oil? Freaked me out the first time I saw it, stuff is neon green.
The following users liked this post:
forwardtrends (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 11:08 AM
forwardtrends
AutoX

Well I never thought of that but would be a huge relief if it's Liqui Moly! I'm waiting on them to get back to me via email, fingers crossed that's what it is haha
Old 04-09-2024, 11:25 AM
forwardtrends
AutoX

The mechanic just got back to me and it IS Liqui Moly oil they used on my car! lol Man I was freaking out. Never saw green oil in my life.

Still would like to figure out what the condensation out of the exhaust is on cold startup but at least I can drive it. Thank you guys!
Robertf1997 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:18 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Condensation dripping out of the exhaust when the engine is cold is quite normal, especially in elevated humidity climates. Check the tail pipe when the engine is at operating temp - evidence of condensation should be alleviated at that point.
forwardtrends (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:25 AM
forwardtrends
AutoX

Correction - they didn't use Liqui Moly, as he said synthetics are bad for these motors. He used Driven High-Zinc Performance Oil which is also green.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:02 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

So is Brad Penn oil that I use. Green is gold!
forwardtrends (04-10-2024)

Quick Reply: 87 944 NA - Green tint to oil, smells like gas