Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear hatch

Along with all the problems I had yesterday, my rear hatch came open not once but twice while I was driving down the road yesterday.

Anyone ever had this happen?

I know it was shut completely the second time.

Makes me wonder if I just hit it with my leg or if when I pulled the wires for my new antenna through I created another problem.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Roger Collins
Advanced

The hatch does go out of adjustment, and the pins need to be readjusted (sometimes its the latch that needs attention). Mine used to open all the time. A real pain. I had to make sure both sides were latched by pushing down seperately on each side. It happened regularly before I had the rear glass resealed. I guess it would shift more when the glass wasn't fixed properly to the glass. Don't know if your glass is loose or coming away from the frame. Either way, search this site for threads on adjusting the pins(they are here). It should make a difference. Since I fixed the glass, no more trouble.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Yeah it's seperating, I have a new hatch, just haven't put it on yet. I'll have to do the whole adjustment thing then. Just thought it was strange, driving down the road and it popped up, never happened before
Old 06-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The other thing it could be is a stuck "release" button down by the hood release. I've accidentally bumped it and popped the hatch and had it get stuck in the "release" position leaving me scratching my head for a couple of minutes wondering why the hatch wouldnt' close (the motor is VERY quiet).
Old 06-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

that could have been it too, I used it to open the hatch, took off, couple min later it popped open, pulled over, closed it, figured it wasn't shut all the way.

couple min later it popped open again.

smacked the release pretty rad and shut it and it stayed, just freaked me out drivin down the road and have it pop open
Old 06-18-2004, 12:04 AM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Dont be lazy lol, put the new hatch on I did took 20 min easy as cake and not had a problem with it since. The hardest part is getting the pin and latch tight, but it only takes a few to get it right. Mine is now too tight but its better then popin open. Good luck
Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I've had the thing for awhile but just haven't had the chance.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:50 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

The same thing happend to me a while back. The latching mechanism was in need of some grease and didn't close all the way. fiddiling with the key in the back seemed to fix it.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:41 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you have to adjust the pins, I found the best way to close the hatch is to lightly close it to the point where the pins hit the latches. Then, push down on the spoiler where each latch/pin sits. You will hear the latches "snap" shut much better than if you slammed the hatch closed.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

here I was, in the middle of swapping out my hatch today, when I realized I didn't have a triple square small enough. Napa was allready closed so It looks like I'm stuck till monday on that one.

Quick Reply: rear hatch