Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Early 944 wiring harness

I recently purchased a replacement wiring harness for my early 944 following an under dash fire. The new harness is good, and was in the Porsche box. However, it is for a car that doesn’t include air conditioning. Hence, it only energizes one fan, where my car has two fans. It is also doesn’t have an AC clutch engagement wire. I know that this comes up from time to time, but I couldn’t find it on a search of Clark’s or on here. How do I remedy this problem? Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA😀
Old 03-26-2024, 12:34 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had to replace the AC harness on my early car as it was in rough shape from sitting out exposed. I got lucky and bought all the wiring for an early car locally. Its this harness.

https://944online.com/climate-contro...r-harness.html

Not sure about the AC clutch wire as I haven't really gotten into the wiring yet. I would think all harnesses would have the wire for AC if the car was equipped with it or not.
not sure this helps you
Old 03-26-2024, 01:34 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 478 Posts

If we can figure out what wires need to be added, I'm happy to make it for you. You can then add it to the harness you bought, maybe using some Tesa tape. I'm pretty sure we can still get the connectors from Porsche, too, so I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

I'm glad to hear that you're continuing to make progress on getting your beauty of a car back on the road.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2024, 08:59 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Early harness

This portion of the old harness was undamaged. Perhaps I can cut it out of the old harness, see where it ties in and add it to the new harness. Same with the second fan. Probably have to go back to the relay to get power for it. The new harness covers most of the front end lights and the headlight motor and coil. There will have to be many other wires replaced on a onesey-twosey basis. I had to cut a 3X9 inch opening into the front airflow diverter panel to get the new harness installed as wasn’t an easy thing to pull through the opening . I think that Porsche installed the harness and then spot welded the panel around it. The old harness had 3 securing clips with studs that had to be removed. I intend to make a cover plate for this opening and secure it with 6 mm bolts over the hole. I had considered soldering it in place with a hot air gun but decided against it due to the heat and the harness fragility. 😀TIA for any suggestions.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:56 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Do you have pictures of the hole you cut? I'll be replacing my harness soon ( well someday) Just curious where you needed to do that.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:58 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Early harness

Once you have the headlight assembly out, you can see where the right hand side of the harness has to go. I used a long chisel to remove the 3 studs that are in the passageway. If you have a very narrow chisel you can remove the middle one with a 3/8” hole in the center of the diffuser panel. I cut the 3X9 on the left side where the largest space is. There is a stud attached to the backside of this cutout, where the plastic air deflector mounts. The only other way to do this procedure is to pull the radiator and A/C condenser, which I did not want to do. 😀. I’ll send pics later today if I can get my phone to co-operate.😀
Old 03-27-2024, 02:48 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

I see OK, I already have HL and rad/condenser out so no issues reinstalling. Good luck, it is tight there.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:47 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Early harness

I was able to depin the small fuse panel that came with the new harness. That way I was able to stuff all the wires inside the big hole in the firewall. It came with a new firewall foam plug. Now to connect up all the lights and start to sort out the mess under the dash. Good luck with the 3 stud mounted zip strips that hold the harness in the little passageway. Not really needed now on my rig at least. Should be no problem at all if the condenser is out. 😀

Quick Reply: Early 944 wiring harness