Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Air Flow Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004 | 06:25 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Intermittent Air Flow Issues

OK, before I get flamed, I did a search on "heater clip". This may be my problem, though my issue seems different.

MY AC blows cold, no doubt about it. However, the air flow through the center vents is **** poor. What does come through, however, is icy. I always chalked this up to what I've understood to be less than optimal AC performace.

Today while driving, SUDDENLY, their is a noticeable change in sound and the center vents start blowing cold air like no tomorrow. 3 minutes later, it went back to its old habit of seemingly being blocked.

It DOES NOT blow hot air all the time, like so many posts related to heater clip failure seem to indicate. I will check the heater clip, as it seems easy enough to do, but something tells me this isn't the issue...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Think that the vents in the later 944's are controlled with vacuum actuators. You could have a bad vacuum line coming in through the fire wall.
Old 06-18-2004 | 12:04 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Socal...

I have fiddled about a bit more and have found that the slider controls seem to have no bearing on airflow...and apparently haven't, since I've had the car...

If the sliders do indeed control airflow, and they do that via a solenoid, can someone provide me with location, pics, etc...? I looked on Clark's Garage; couldn't find what seemed to be my problem...

The good news is that the air blows cold. The bad news is that the majority of cool air is being diverted...This doesn't sound like the infamous heater clip issue, more like a bad ground or stuck solenoid, since the system magically decided to work as it should for all of three minutes today...

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!
Old 06-18-2004 | 12:16 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did another search using different search parameters and found this:

"One possible cause is corrosion on the plugs in the wiring harness for the brain and its three temp sensors. Pull the control unit from the dash, unplug & re-plug the connectors several times.
Also find the solenoid valves (pretty obvious, near the passenger's left knee, 2 vac lines & 1 wire, IIRC) and tighten the mounting screws. They're also the electrical ground. "

I'll check this in the a.m. and report back...
Old 06-18-2004 | 09:38 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dug around this morning looking for the solenoids...they seem to be behind a black plastic cover - does this sound right?
Old 06-18-2004 | 05:10 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not one to bump, but....BUMP
Old 06-18-2004 | 07:21 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

You are going where few have gone before!

Keep notes.
Old 06-18-2004 | 07:47 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Apparently so...LOL...I may go to where MANY have gone before...My mechanic...

Quick Reply: Intermittent Air Flow Issues