Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of rude over at Pelican....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:39 PM
944T4ME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of rude over at Pelican....

Here is a letter I got from Pelican. I sent one asking why swagger93's was thicker on his car then the one he got sent from them. I asked was it a manufacturer difference (because he got a contitech, and that was thinner) or was it a model change or what. I stated that that the one got sent and the one on his car were clearly different sizes. This is what I got back.

> Hello, This timing belt we sell is the exact factory
> replacement made from Porsche North America,
> distributed from Ontario CA. & Atlanta GA. Again
> this item is GENUINE FACTORY.... There is no such
> thing as a thicker timing belt... Sincerly.
> Bobby Aradanas
> Sales Advisor
> Pelican Parts
> www.pelicanparts.com

And this is my reply:

You say there is no such thing as a thicker timing belt? Then why did I see one with my own eyes? I think this is very rude to so matter-of-factly state that I dont know what Im talking about. My friend clearly had a thicker t-belt on his 88944S then the one that you guys sent him. I later found out on rennlist that this is because you sent him the wrong one. You sent him one for an 8v, as the 16v's had a thicker one as an upgrade. Probably because there are twice as many valves to bend. It is an upgrade some guys do to put the 16V belt on the 8V.

Anyways, that was very rude of you to say that to me when in my original email I clearly stated that I saw two different thickness belts. It should have been up to you to explain the difference to me, but apparently you guys dont even know since you sent him the wrong belts! Thanks for convincing me to order from Paragon.

I dont know if I am overreacting, but I dont like to be told that I am flat out wrong when I saw them with my own eyes!! I was in the market for a cap and rotor, plugs, t-belt, and maybe wires. Now I know to go somewhere else, probably Paragon because Skip is infinitely more helpful. He was like, hmm I wasn't aware of a difference, but let me check and get back to you. Thats what I like to hear
Old 06-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive ordered from pelican before, and it was fine. I might give paragon a try next time since i dont like paying sales tax!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think he was being rude. I do think your response letter was a little over the top.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 PM
944T4ME
Racer

Think so? Ah well, I didn't like it, and I am generally a cool customer that rarely gets hot. To me, he's like, no they aren't different, sorry your wrong. I don't know. All he had to do was turn around and ask someone who knew that the 16v's were thicker. What kind of CS is that? I had to find out on my own the difference...
Old 06-16-2004, 06:05 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think he may have just misunderstood when you said 'thicker'. They are 'wider' but not 'thicker'.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:11 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Relax. You are too stressed.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:19 PM
944T4ME
Racer

No, no misunderstanding, I said thicker in width to make sure it was clear.

And did you know that Bong rec is about 15min from where I live? So I've already taken your advice, I can't be stressed
Old 06-16-2004, 06:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta remember they must get 1,000 emails a day at Pelican...they don't have time to be overly polite...he was just stating a fact, I think.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:26 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You let the kid in your signature email him didnt you?

He would get anyone riled up...
Old 06-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

The term "thicker" is definitely the problem. His email was short, but not rude, imo. Saying "thicker in width" is like saying "wider in height".
Old 06-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tifosiman
I don't think he was being rude. I do think your response letter was a little over the top.
I concur.

Folks need to understand that sometimes vendors can be a little terse in their replies because of their work load, not because they intended to be terse. It's more an issue of answering the question, especially a simple one, and moving on. I have no doubt that Bobby did not intend to be rude or to offend you.

I am a partner in a small, part-time business and have to write replies like this all the time. The last thing I ever intend to do is to upset a potential customer or anybody for that matter because I want our company to have a great reputation. But, it's likely somebody was offended at one time or another (and this is a good reminder to me). But seriously, give Bobby and Pelican a break. A nice follow-up would probably resolve everything.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:37 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Smile OT ALERT! the following post is not on subject at ALL

Originally posted by 944T4ME
No, no misunderstanding, I said thicker in width to make sure it was clear.

And did you know that Bong rec is about 15min from where I live? So I've already taken your advice, I can't be stressed
i always used to fantasize about stealing one of theose Bong Rec. Area road signs when I was growing up in Milwaukee. used to make me chuckle everytime I drove down to chicago . . . . .
Old 06-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally posted by Ben Z.
The term "thicker" is definitely the problem. His email was short, but not rude, imo. Saying "thicker in width" is like saying "wider in height".
Make the pain go away!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You used the incorrect term, it's not the Pelican guy's fault.

I think you owe him an apology.

Last edited by Peckster; 06-16-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:26 PM
944T4ME
Racer

Grr why does no one listen? As I said above I stated with clarity that I was talking about width, so there could be no confusion. Here is the original email:

My friend just received a timing belt from you
guys, and it was noticeably thinner in width than the
one that was on it. He has a 944S. I want one for my
951, but do not want a thinner one. Can you confirm if
you guys have the thicker width timing belt for my car?

Ok, how could you confuse that into meaning actual thickness? I mean honestly. And just what is this correct term? Its not diameter. Less width? not as wide? I thought thinner in width was very accurate and unconfusable (please dont nitpick that word either. I know its not a word).

PS I saw that before you edited it peckster!!

Quick Reply: Kind of rude over at Pelican....