Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Soundsystem Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024 | 05:40 PM
liaks
4th Gear

Default 944 Soundsystem Refresh

Hello! The season begins soon, and yet I don't have a working radio in my 85.5 944. So I will get a new unit - that would be one of retro-looking Blaupunkts - but also I plan to change the front speakers (I don't want to mess with the rear panels so far) and maybe get a small sub. I studied internet and rennlist (and realise that possibilities are limited) and still have several questions - maybe someone here had some relevant experience.

Speakers
It seems that today there are only two options for speakers to get for 944 because of the shallow available depth - Kicker KSC460 or RetroSound R-463N. With delivery to my country they would be of approximately similar price, so I wonder if anyone here has heard either of them and can say anything about the quality of sound. OR maybe there are some options that I missed? I'd like to keep the stock grilles and not do any additional modifications to fit something that doesn't fit by default.

Subwoofer
As I understand, any speaker option of this size is not enough for having decent lows, so I need a sub. I don't plan to spoil the interior, so I was thinking of the least invasive option possible - the underseat one. They are all at least 70 mm (2,76 inch) and I wonder if they fit properly under the seat with this height. If not driver's then passenger's. If that's still way too tall maybe you know other ways to hide a sub?

Amplifier
I'm not sure if I need one. Will the 4*40W unit be enough for two speakers and a sub or I need external support?

Radio
I've made a choice already, but maybe I also missed some period-correct options? I only found Blaupunkts and that one Continental.
Old 03-12-2024 | 08:33 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

I didn't find any other speaker options. The RetroSound's are hardly audiophile, but they're OK, and they fit.

I also didn't find any other radio options than you listed. I went with the Blaupunkt. I didn't bother with a sub or an amplifier.
The following users liked this post:
liaks (03-14-2024)

Quick Reply: 944 Soundsystem Refresh